Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #136
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,972
If a couple of holes are added to the block off plate it might help the air move. Like BB says tho the air box actually sucked the air in.

How about remove the block off plate for now and see if this helps.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #137
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
If a couple of holes are added to the block off plate it might help the air move. Like BB says tho the air box actually sucked the air in.

How about remove the block off plate for now and see if this helps.
The block off as in where the battery is now located? If I ride a without the front cover. No problems whatsoever.
Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #138
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,972
Can't the battery sit there with out the block off? I guess there's a bracket that is part of the block off?

So back to adding a couple of holes? This would maybe add enough air flow because right now the fresh air doesn't have any where to go so it doesn't even enter.

Has any body else reported this same problem? Isn't this the plate made by fellow inmate Chris?

How come the air doesn't exit through the breather on top of the starter cover?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #139
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Not to mention that the later airbox with the flat filter was closed off to the starter area, but that starter cover did have the slots in it....
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #140
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Not to mention that the later airbox with the flat filter was closed off to the starter area, but that starter cover did have the slots in it....
Yes. My starter cover has slots
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #141
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
what is your charging system output ?
I can't imagine a properly functioning alternator running hot enough to affect the ignition.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 06:28 PM
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #142
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
what is your charging system output ?
I can't imagine a properly functioning alternator running hot enough to affect the ignition.
That's what I'm thinking. It shouldn't run that hot just providing current for the battery charge, ignition and headlight:

Quote:
The wires coming off the alternator al,it's feel like there melting...
...with it off even e alternator was way too hot to touch.
Needs to check alternator current andfind out why the alternator is running so hot. It's an Enduralast?

--Bill
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #143
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
That's what I'm thinking. It shouldn't run that hot just providing current for the battery charge, ignition and headlight:

Needs to check alternator current andfind out why the alternator is running so hot. It's an Enduralast?

--Bill
Yes. It's a endurolast. They have told me operating temp should not be over 300 and I would say it has not got over 300 but feels close. Going to check tomorrow.

This is from there website

EnDuraLast
29 Amps / 400 Watts @ 5000 RPM
( 32 Amps / 450 Watts Total Maximum Rating)
25 Amps / 350 Watts @ 3000 RPM
20 Amps / 280 Watts @ 2000 RPM
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #144
korey89
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
sorry for such delayed responses.

The ignition company sent me a new black box module as they call it. I installed it yesterday and also went through the wiring to the coils and sure enough the pigtail wire to run them in parallel was wrong. Changed that around and went for a ride without putting the front cover back on. Bike rode like a dream, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30, 40, 50, 60. Wahoo. Thought i fixed it. No problems. Problem solved. Got home. Put the front cover on. Ate some lunch. Then went for another ride, and after about 20 minutes. Same damn problem as before.

Well, decided to take the cover off again, went riding around and apart from a little sputtering at the beginning once the air cooled it down she rose great again.

Emailed euromotoelectrics again and tell them this, they said it sounds like the hall effect sensor is working intermittently and they will send me a new one.

Other suggestions he said were to put spacers between the cover and motor to allow more air. But still think something's not rit. The front cover was sooooo damn hot when it was having problems when it was on, and with it off even e alternator was way too hot to touch. I'm going to take some temps tomorrow because john at euro says it should not exceed 300 f.
lol.
korey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #145
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
lol.
^ the guy who took my money. Rushed through the instructions and wired the bike up wrong. Made me order unnessary parts. Got frustrated. Called me to say come pick it up cause "I'm done with it". Go to pick it up and it's just sitting in his front yard, keys in it, him no where to be scene. Commendable guy. Troll.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #146
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
lol.
takes balls. not very big ones, though.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #147
korey89
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtie View Post
^ the guy who took my money. Rushed through the instructions and wired the bike up wrong. Made me order unnessary parts. Got frustrated. Called me to say come pick it up cause "I'm done with it". Go to pick it up and it's just sitting in his front yard, keys in it, him no where to be scene. Commendable guy. Troll.
Oh the victim yet again. Forever crying victim.

The guy who got paid basically $400 to install the subframe, fix the seat mounting holes on the subframe, put the airbox eliminator kit and pod filters on, install the rearsets, install the exhaust, wrap the exhaust, put on and wire your crappy new charging system and digital ignition, mount and balance your tires, put new fork seals in your forks, change the oil in them, install new springs in them, put the clubman bars on, wire and mount a tail light, wire and mount rear turn signals, modify and install your tag bracket, clean your carbs, new spark plugs, and then try and diagnose for hours. You can fuck off lol.

I had a picture you posted on Facebook and caption texted to me, so I knew you'd have something new posted on here. Funny how the majority of this thread also said ignition coils. Also funny how you claim the jumper for them wasn't hooked up right. Even funnier all the people in here saying you're in over your head trying to fix it. And funniest yet how the lack of airflow combined with that great companies ignition and stator, who is great enough to not offer any wiring instructions for your year bike and unable to help when I call them, are the problem and you still blame me for "wiring the bike up wrong". Cute. See you this weekend at Bloodrag.
korey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #148
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 989
Hey guys, please take your little tiff elsewhere. We're friends here. Quite frankly, you're outsiders at our bar.

(Hell, I'm barely allowed a seat here . . .)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #149
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh the victim yet again. Forever crying victim.

The guy who got paid basically $400 to install the subframe, fix the seat mounting holes on the subframe, put the airbox eliminator kit and pod filters on, install the rearsets, install the exhaust, wrap the exhaust, put on and wire your crappy new charging system and digital ignition, mount and balance your tires, put new fork seals in your forks, change the oil in them, install new springs in them, put the clubman bars on, wire and mount a tail light, wire and mount rear turn signals, modify and install your tag bracket, clean your carbs, new spark plugs, and then try and diagnose for hours. You can fuck off lol.

I had a picture you posted on Facebook and caption texted to me, so I knew you'd have something new posted on here. Funny how the majority of this thread also said ignition coils. Also funny how you claim the jumper for them wasn't hooked up right. Even funnier all the people in here saying you're in over your head trying to fix it. And funniest yet how the lack of airflow combined with that great companies ignition and stator, who is great enough to not offer any wiring instructions for your year bike and unable to help when I call them, are the problem and you still blame me for "wiring the bike up wrong". Cute. See you this weekend at Bloodrag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Hey guys, please take your little tiff elsewhere. We're friends here. Quite frankly, you're outsiders at our bar.

(Hell, I'm barely allowed a seat here . . .)
Yeah sorry guys. None of this involves you guys.

And can't make it to blood drag korey, sorry. Danny's to busy ripping out all the wiring everyone put there fingers on and redoing the whole truck. Nothing was salvageable. Well shouldn't say nothing, surprisingly enough all Pugsleys work was done right, no problems at all. Brake lights were just a fuse we all missed