ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Market for the large GSA cases (swap)?

Looking at a couple of GSA's that have the LARGE cases (luggage) but I don't really need anything that big and would really like something closer to the expandable BMW cases or Jesse's in size. With that in mind I have a couple of questions:

Does the large GSA system case (w/ drop down tray) fit on the Std. GS's?
How hard is it to fit the expandable GS cases on the GSA?
Is there a market for people wanting the large BMW cases?

I'll try to find a pic of the case system I'm talking about asap.

Thanks.

Edit: OK, searching for a pic to include I found a '04 GS std. with those bags so I know they fit. Now the only question is how much of a market is there for a swap/sale?
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......

gspdbill screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 08:41 AM
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer
 
AviatorTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH/Stuart FL
Oddometer: 1,520
I'm sure you can sell them on the flea market. By the way, one of the reasons I went with Jessies was due to the fact that they have MORE volume than the bmw adventure cases and yet are narrower, lower, and adjustable.

You might look at Micatch too, if you want to try a side loader.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
KsFolly
Adventurer
 
KsFolly's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Escondido, CA
Oddometer: 60
If you want to switch to variocases which are the black BMW expandables.

I have the full kit which I took off my GS for top box and side cases.

I don't have the cases. Just the racks.

I'm looking for the side cases. (I have the racks already).
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: near Nashville, TN USA
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I'm sure you can sell them on the flea market. By the way, one of the reasons I went with Jessies was due to the fact that they have MORE volume than the bmw adventure cases and yet are narrower, lower, and adjustable.

You might look at Micatch too, if you want to try a side loader.
I had old Jesse's on my previous GS/PD but how are they adjustable?
__________________
Bill
'05 R1200GS for now......
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustKip's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 3,356
GS Vario cases don't work with the GSA rear luggage rack
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Slippy Chips's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
GS Vario cases don't work with the GSA rear luggage rack
True, if you went with the varios you would need to swap out the mounts, but you can put Varios on an Adventure. Then you would be able to sell the rear side racks for $300-350 and buy the Vario mounts for less than $100. You could probably buy a decent set of Varios and Mounts for $600 or so. BMW racks are usually a quick sell in the flea market here.

On another note, if you're interested in selling the rear rack for the top case I would be interested. In fact I will be passing through Nashville later this week and can pick them up and save you having to ship them. PM me if interested.
__________________
GO DAWGS
2009 BMW R1200GS
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustKip's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
True, if you went with the varios you would need to swap out the mounts, but you can put Varios on an Adventure. Then you would be able to sell the rear side racks for $300-350 and buy the Vario mounts for less than $100. You could probably buy a decent set of Varios and Mounts for $600 or so. BMW racks are usually a quick sell in the flea market here.

On another note, if you're interested in selling the rear rack for the top case I would be interested. In fact I will be passing through Nashville later this week and can pick them up and save you having to ship them. PM me if interested.
The rear rack for the top case is what I was refering to when I mentioned that Varios won't work with the rear GSA rack. I'm pretty sure the Varios use a couple of the same slots in the seat deck for mounting as are already used for the rear (top case) rack on the GSA.

GSA cases, with the proper racks, will fit the GS without changing the rear rack because the plastic GS rack don't foul any mounting points for GSA cases. GSA tail rack and Varios don't work together.

There IS a strong market for GSA luggage and racks. The top case rack often goes for around $200 and the side racks for $300. Side case prices depend on condition, and go anywhere from $600 to...$1000?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Kanagawa, Japan
Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
The rear rack for the top case is what I was refering to when I mentioned that Varios won't work with the rear GSA rack. I'm pretty sure the Varios use a couple of the same slots in the seat deck for mounting as are already used for the rear (top case) rack on the GSA.

GSA cases, with the proper racks, will fit the GS without changing the rear rack because the plastic GS rack don't foul any mounting points for GSA cases. GSA tail rack and Varios don't work together.

There IS a strong market for GSA luggage and racks. The top case rack often goes for around $200 and the side racks for $300. Side case prices depend on condition, and go anywhere from $600 to...$1000?
I saw on some thread a poster changed the flange positions on his GSA rack, and re-welded it back together yielding a unit that allowed him to run the GSA top rack and Vario side rack/cases.

It was about a month ago or so. I tried to save that for future reference, but...?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014