User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Market for the large GSA cases (swap)?

Looking at a couple of GSA's that have the LARGE cases (luggage) but I don't really need anything that big and would really like something closer to the expandable BMW cases or Jesse's in size. With that in mind I have a couple of questions:

Does the large GSA system case (w/ drop down tray) fit on the Std. GS's?
How hard is it to fit the expandable GS cases on the GSA?
Is there a market for people wanting the large BMW cases?

I'll try to find a pic of the case system I'm talking about asap.

Thanks.

Edit: OK, searching for a pic to include I found a '04 GS std. with those bags so I know they fit. Now the only question is how much of a market is there for a swap/sale?

gspdbill screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 08:41 AM
gspdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
I'm sure you can sell them on the flea market. By the way, one of the reasons I went with Jessies was due to the fact that they have MORE volume than the bmw adventure cases and yet are narrower, lower, and adjustable.

You might look at Micatch too, if you want to try a side loader.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
If you want to switch to variocases which are the black BMW expandables.

I have the full kit which I took off my GS for top box and side cases.

I don't have the cases. Just the racks.

I'm looking for the side cases. (I have the racks already).
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
gspdbill OP
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I'm sure you can sell them on the flea market. By the way, one of the reasons I went with Jessies was due to the fact that they have MORE volume than the bmw adventure cases and yet are narrower, lower, and adjustable.

You might look at Micatch too, if you want to try a side loader.
I had old Jesse's on my previous GS/PD but how are they adjustable?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
GS Vario cases don't work with the GSA rear luggage rack
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
GS Vario cases don't work with the GSA rear luggage rack
True, if you went with the varios you would need to swap out the mounts, but you can put Varios on an Adventure. Then you would be able to sell the rear side racks for $300-350 and buy the Vario mounts for less than $100. You could probably buy a decent set of Varios and Mounts for $600 or so. BMW racks are usually a quick sell in the flea market here.

On another note, if you're interested in selling the rear rack for the top case I would be interested. In fact I will be passing through Nashville later this week and can pick them up and save you having to ship them. PM me if interested.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
True, if you went with the varios you would need to swap out the mounts, but you can put Varios on an Adventure. Then you would be able to sell the rear side racks for $300-350 and buy the Vario mounts for less than $100. You could probably buy a decent set of Varios and Mounts for $600 or so. BMW racks are usually a quick sell in the flea market here.

On another note, if you're interested in selling the rear rack for the top case I would be interested. In fact I will be passing through Nashville later this week and can pick them up and save you having to ship them. PM me if interested.
The rear rack for the top case is what I was refering to when I mentioned that Varios won't work with the rear GSA rack. I'm pretty sure the Varios use a couple of the same slots in the seat deck for mounting as are already used for the rear (top case) rack on the GSA.

GSA cases, with the proper racks, will fit the GS without changing the rear rack because the plastic GS rack don't foul any mounting points for GSA cases. GSA tail rack and Varios don't work together.

There IS a strong market for GSA luggage and racks. The top case rack often goes for around $200 and the side racks for $300. Side case prices depend on condition, and go anywhere from $600 to...$1000?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
The rear rack for the top case is what I was refering to when I mentioned that Varios won't work with the rear GSA rack. I'm pretty sure the Varios use a couple of the same slots in the seat deck for mounting as are already used for the rear (top case) rack on the GSA.

GSA cases, with the proper racks, will fit the GS without changing the rear rack because the plastic GS rack don't foul any mounting points for GSA cases. GSA tail rack and Varios don't work together.

There IS a strong market for GSA luggage and racks. The top case rack often goes for around $200 and the side racks for $300. Side case prices depend on condition, and go anywhere from $600 to...$1000?
I saw on some thread a poster changed the flange positions on his GSA rack, and re-welded it back together yielding a unit that allowed him to run the GSA top rack and Vario side rack/cases.

It was about a month ago or so. I tried to save that for future reference, but...?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote