Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #121
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
So many reasons...

...from the practical to the romantic.

If we're taking a ferry here on the west coast, no $20 &*^% reservation fee, first on, first off, half the cost.

It's more fun, and make's it a real journey, whereas a car trip is just that. The everyday, the mundane.

I think that I can ride more technical stuff 2 up better than she can 1 up, which has allowed us to get into some more remote places for hikes, etc.

Easy to park if we are in a city.

Someone wrote about forgetting to put the kickstand up, me, I didn't quite get it fully extended because of the lower height of the bike, so we both went down sideways with the bike when we dismounted. In front of friends. In front of a big window at the front of a liquor store. In such a situation there is only really one thing to do: Laugh first, before anyone else does!

Teaches the operator to be smmmmmoooooooth!

So yeah, I hope she gets her own endorsement, but I'm not pushing it. We don't really have room for two bikes, extra insurance, and maintenance.

She'd probably love it even more if some of the trips weren't 250km's on the back of a Yamaha xt225. Apparently the seat gets kinda hard.

When it's warm out, it feels AWESOME, you can stop by a secluded river and cool down, enjoy the warm sweet air. She LOVES zooming along w/ the warm air over her, which in this climate is about 6 weeks of the year, even when the sun is out and it's chilly, she's happy, which makes me happy. A recent study found that as much as anything, men look for an activity partner with their mate. Makes total sense to me!

woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #122
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I keep reading the solo riders mentioning the "added responsibility" of having a passenger vs. each riding their own bike. I'd rather rely on my 30 years of riding experience to keep us safe
I think perhaps that you are misreading the concept of added responsibility and how some of us are defining what it means to us. My wife and I are both experienced long distance riders and it was only because we were deciding whether or not to ship one or two bikes to leave in Europe that the concept of riding two (beyond out for dinner two up at the end of a long day touring 700 + miles) even entered our minds.

Every rider has had a very close call riding when circumstances, rider actions combine to test both our riding skills and our situational awareness. When that happens and you are riding solo it is far easier to slough it off, add it to your road skills dictionary and press on. When it happens and you are riding two up, the after incident thinking is quite different. In any close event one's reptilian brain takes over and it is post event that the thoughts and what ifs come into play.

I have hit a large animal (moose) been knocked down by anther rider at a track day and had other freaky close calls but a two up event is much more difficult post accident.

Risk management and accident mitigation begins before you step on the motorcycle and each of us has choices to make that can effect the outcome of an accident or the total avoidance of an accident. You read about it all the time in the Faceplant forum.

It begins I believe with Motorcycle choice and farkeling.

ABS Brakes

Night riding HID and aux lights

Adding protective electronics such as after market horn, flashy brake light/ turn signal bars , mirror arm extenders

Reflective tape, suspension designed for the weight of the bike and rider(s)

Correct ergonomics and in my case that means custom brake levers, handlebars brake and shift levers to accommodate my physical size

Then we have rider education

Advanced riding schools and lessons

Reading face plant and David Hough's books

Riding often keeps good skills sharp, When we started to ride we rode whenever possible bad weather or good. Knowing what the roads will be like from experience and practice on your terms is better than doing your first night ride in the rain on day four of a ill planned trip.

Taking lessons to ride two up. I can't recommend the street-masters school enough. Riding with and being critiqued by Walt Fulton as you do laps of the Horse Thief Mile is simply an amazing experience.

Walt Fulton is a recognized name in motorcycling. A former three-time winner at Daytona and team racer for Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki and Suzuki, he was a featured rider in the documentary "On Any Sunday." He is a BMW Legends racer, a professional motorcycle accident reconstruction expert, motorcycle journalist and a private riding instructor. He has worked as an editor for Cycle Guide, Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines and a contributor and the performance tester for Motorcycle Consumer News. He has logged over a million miles on the road and track.

I have also completed the first 40 hours of the basic motor officer school as taught here.

http://www.northwest-motorcycle.com

So let me tell you about my onerous responsibility event.

It was a nice summer Saturday evening in Vancouver and the annual fireworks shows were on. I am extremely uncomfortable around loud spontaneous explosions due to past experiences and since we live quite close to the beach and the fireworks are on barges we tend to get out of town for those evenings if we are not away on vacation.

We decided to ride two up that night, the privacy of the intercom system makes riding and chatting a nice experience. We left the house and rode to Squamish for the best indian food in the lower mainland http://www.essenceofindiarestaurant.com

Riding back down the Sea -to- Sky in the setting sun we decided to bypass the city and zip down to Blaine WA and get our mail. Our route took us over the Port Mann Bridge and down 160th Street to the order. 160th is not my favorite road and looking back it was an error to ride that road two up or solo. By now it was getting into deeper twilight (9:30 pm ) and the road traffic had that irrational feel to it. Construction crews on the way home from a big day of OT, Seniors returning from dinner, teenagers in cars and off course in Surrey the ever present gravel dump trucks .

We were riding on my Tenere (ABS) brakes, with custom suspension set for our weight (Ohlins and Traxxion Dynamics) and HID conversions in the lights. The road had the annoying tar strips running parallel with the direction of travel and as you approach the border the road gets into some rolling hills with limited visibility.

The road speed is 70 kmh I am riding about 10 over 80K. I just get the spiddy sense tingles and as we crest the next roll I have already started to roll of the gas and cover the brakes. The HID's pick up a flash of chrome directly ahead of me and I start braking hard. Of course the road is a mass of tar snakes and I can now see that the flash of chrome was from the rear window moulding of a beat up blacked out late 90's Lexus LS 400 that has been left abandoned (I think) in the left lane.

I am now into maximum braking Susan expects we are about to centre punch a deer she can't see around me
and the ABS is pulsing like crazy due to the tar snakes , I check to see if I can swerve ( the right lane is clear and no one is tight behind me) but make the calculation that I can't steer and turn the bike at the braking level I am at without the front end sliding out on the still warm tar snakes and patches. I know that if that happens we are going to hit the abandoned car sideways and I decide to keep braking because I believe I can get us into the safest position by getting us slowed as much as possible before a potential impact. All of this take probable less thna 5 seconds but it seemed to take a week in head. I get us stopped about 10 feet from the trunk of the Lexus upright and then begin to go right to get around the car and when the car starts up does a qick u turn and race off with lights on. I ride away thinking wtf and then I realize I have my wife still sitting quietly on the back. She pats my side and says "nice riding, thanks"

We stopped for coffee and I began to write/sketch out the whole event and what I could have done better. I made numerous mistakes on that ride but a lucky combination of events avoided me killing or injuring my wife.

I would never have taken the post event review so seriously if I had been riding solo. This is the onerous responsibility that I am speaking of.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #123
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 322
This is a great thread and it really has got me thinking.

My lady friend does not express much interest in riding her own bike on the street but does want to learn to ride a dirt bike. That's fine with me, I feel safer having her with me and we both enjoy the day trips out to the coast and out to eat.

On smaller bikes I have had you do have to change the way you accelerate, shift, brake, corner, etc... But on my Bandit 1200 the bike couldn't give a shit whether she's riding pillion or not.

Sometimes I ride to get away from it all by myself, but other times it's nice to have the lady friend along to share the experience.

-Jake
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #124
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
I think perhaps that you are misreading the concept of added responsibility...
Nah... Most of these d00ds don't want the responsibility of having someone on the back of thier machine, but are perfectly OK with introducing an SO to the sport and cutting her loose on her own bike, thus theoretically making it her responsibilty if she fucks up and crashes.

Question:
If you and your spouse had been riding two bikes that night.
If you had been in the lead coming over that rise.
If, at the last second, you avoided that blacked out car stopped in the road.
If your spouse had not been so lucky.
Whose responsibility would that have been?
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rocker59 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 05:00 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #125
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
My girlfriend and I enjoy two-up because we can be close together. I travel a lot and being on two bikes would mean she's not holding on to me for hours. She loves riding pillion and even tho she is getting her own bike, she still wants to ride two up for the long trips.

Anyways she act as the look out, photographer, money handler (for tolls or parking), pr (I'm not the most skilled in the social department), and I'm sure I'm forgetting something

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #126
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
I don't deal in hypotheticals because the probability of us being in the same place at the same time is impossible.

I am confident that my training and practice plus ABS puts me pretty far up on the braking scale versus the average rider. I would expect that there is an equal chance another rider on an non ABS bike would lock up tuck the front wheel and take both of us out and into the car.

It is always the rider's ride. Having already had one spouse die after a long illness ( severe stroke) I am not willing to hypothesize about any tragic event that involves my current spouse.

I can say that I would be overcome with grief and sorrow. I think that is enough of a commentary on a what if situation

To end on a happier note I do like it at night on long rides when she cuddles up to me, turns up her electrics and sleeps lodged firmly between me and the backrest. That only applies on the I - 5 south of Sacramento and any prairie crossing . We are in our late 50's and take some risks that is one of them.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #127
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
I need someone crowded up behind me like I need a third nut. I avoid carrying passengers whenever it's practical to do so.
Yup,it cramps my style big time. I ride for the ride and having an extra 120 to 160 lbs on the back whilst dragging things in corners just doesnt appeal to me. Admittedly I live for corners.
If someone really wants to go for a ride and understands what riding on a bike is about I'll take them around some.

Ive ridden on the back a few times after my bike blew up and I had to get home,its terrifying and so much more fun to be the one driving. Most wives of friends end up getting their own bikes after playing passenger too much.
That's a whole nuther story though and gets complicated sometimes.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #128
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
When one pillion can be such a pleasant experience ----

- - - - you just know that TWO are sure to be DOUBLE as pleasant!
The two little girls look like fun,how do the two back wheels work out?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #129
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Question:
Let's say you and your spouse go out after work one night, each arriving in a separate car.

If you and your spouse had been riding two bikes driving two cars that night.

Bike or car:
If SHE had been in the lead coming over that rise.
If, at the last second, SHE avoided that blacked out car stopped in the road.
If you had not been so lucky.

dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #130
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Let's say you and your spouse go out after work one night, each arriving in a separate car.

Bike or car:

You ride your own ride,random things happen no matter what sometimes.
Second guessing the future or worrying about it only makes it worse.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #131
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

Bike or car:

Mine.

But I'm old skool like that...
IBA #24873
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #132
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

IBA #24873
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #133
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,159
I don't like riding two up. Never have. I'd rather ride my own bike.

That said, it was either ride two up or not ride at all after I injured my shoulder earlier this year. My SO is a very good rider, so I felt perfectly safe with him. And I have to say, it was kind of nice looking around at the view, shooting pictures, just relaxing. I don't know that I'd feel that way about riding two up with anyone else. But with jjustj, it was nice. Shoulder is now repaired, and I'm back on my own bike. But we might just ride two up every so often 'cause it felt kinda nice being snuggled together.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote