ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #31
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw View Post
I've thought about it, but I've yet to see a secure, weather resistant , ruggedized, practical solution for a smartphone on a bike. My next GPS may be a $100+ Garmin with traffic with a plastic bag tossed over it.

I don't have an Iphone, but they advertise these on tv over here(Oz)

http://www.indepthcases.com/

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #32
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
I've thought about it, but I've yet to see a secure, weather resistant , ruggedized, practical solution for a smartphone on a bike. My next GPS may be a $100+ Garmin with traffic with a plastic bag tossed over it.

I recommend going name brand: ziplock. You just can't trust the no-name brands.

I have been going back and forth on this. My garmin Nuvi 250 isn't working well on the bike anymore. I think the vibes are causing the connection from the USB connector to constantly connect and disconnect. It's super annoying. I've been trying to find a decent GPS that has a good power connector, but there just aren't really any that speak to me, in my price range.

I have been thinking about a 7" android tablet to strap to my tankbox (because I would like a tablet and I would like a new GPS).

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #33
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Can someone help out a techno dummy here... Anyone know if the Samsung rugby smart has the chip? I spend about 50% of my time outside of cell phone coverage and it's where GPS is most important to me. When I bring up google maps there I get a message that says something like "no data location available" - is there some setting I can set so I can at least use the GPS chip in the phone even if there is no cell coverage?

(FWIW I just figured out what an "app" was last week... at least I think I know what it is! 8lives I do however know what a sextant is... I must sound pretty old!)
Are you asking if it has a true GPS chip set? Yes it does. You would have to look really hard to find an Android device that does NOT have a GPS chip set.

In your settings, look for 'location services' or something like that. You can turn on the GPS and cell tower locating.

Install the app "GPS status & toolbox". When you run it, it should start popping up the satellites that it is seeing, or tell you why it isn't seeing them.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #34
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Ok so today I downloaded copilot and looked at OSMand,I wonder if I should mess with OSMand? I have google maps already,the thing with google maps is I do a lot of trails/fire roads and google doesn't seem to cover those,any thought from the group?I'm gonna eventually warm up to modern navigation!I own a Sextant from my sailing days but its odd to use it in Bakersfield on my way to Vegas!
OSMand using the offline OSM maps has decent forest and fire roads. You likely won't find many on Google or CoPilot.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
is there some setting I can set so I can at least use the GPS chip in the phone even if there is no cell coverage?
The GPS knows where you are - it probably has the geolocation coordinates down to 3m exact of where you are. What it can't do on its own is show it to you on a map, because it does not have the map on the phone and normally downloads it via the data connection on demand.

So, what do you need? Basically a software that accesses the geolocation your phone already has and that has build in maps that are stored on the phone so it can show you where you are on that map.

There are a wide variety of free and paid Maps application for Android and iOS. I don't have any experience with your phone or Android in general, but the general idea is the same on Android or iOS: you need an "app" with "offline maps data". Take a look at these:

http://techpp.com/2012/03/09/top-android-map-apps/

Maybe that gives you some ideas. Keep in mind that your phone is on the Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" version of the Android OS, so pretty old but also the most common as far as I know. Make sure that the Maps app actually works with that OS and phone before buying anything (if it's paid). Play around with the free apps and see if you find something that works for you.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Agreed, but cell phone aps like Google Maps have real time traffic (free), updated maps in real time (no paying yearly subscription fees), now have the ability to store map data and lastly if you lose you're GPS signal which happens quite a lot to me in the city it can rely on Cell phone data/tower info to continue to guide you.

For me the ability to carry just one device that handles phone, GPS, camera, weather, remote emergency locating, video player, etc. is priceless,

My 2610 is gathering dust for the last two years.

Ron
The 2610 is like 7 years old tech!

Except for maybe a bit of drop-out in the city, modern GPS units have all that, and are still better than a cell phone IMHO.

A GPS from Garmin, the best IMHO, will run about $150 for a non motorcycle specific unit, and has every feature you could want on it, including an MP3 player. I use a waterproof mount for mine, so I can use my car unit on my bike.

$15 for the mount delivered, and that included the waterproof case.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
twowheelpilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
here is my setup.

i originally bought an interphone f5 and when i called about questions, they let me know about the phone specific cases they also offer.

i have an iphone that i use this case with http://interphonewireless.com/produc...ars-smiphone4/

only my iphone 4s fits in it and all the buttons are easy to access even with gloves on. not being able to use gloves is a bit bothersome, but i have gotten used to it and mostly use my headset to control the phone via SIRI. i am going to try the conductive thread sewn into the gloves.

i plan on getting something to get power off the bike into the iphone.

for now i am very happy with the setup.
twowheelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
twowheelpilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
the problem with the non-motorcycle gps's is that they dont allow you to connect a bluetooth headset. some of them have bluetooth so that you can bluetooth your phone into and then use your phone on the gps via a speakerphone. and the motorcycle specific ones dont always work great with a bluetooth headset.
twowheelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelpilot View Post
the problem with the non-motorcycle gps's is that they dont allow you to connect a bluetooth headset. some of them have bluetooth so that you can bluetooth your phone into and then use your phone on the gps via a speakerphone. and the motorcycle specific ones dont always work great with a bluetooth headset.
That's true, but also true of some phones depending on your headset.

Personally I dislike the noise associated with Bluetooth and prefer hard wire.

Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #40
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Link???????
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #41
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Link???????
The price really went down!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-B...item25746de262

Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #42
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

too bad none of those offer a good solution for charging the unit.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #43
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The 2610 is like 7 years old tech!

Except for maybe a bit of drop-out in the city, modern GPS units have all that, and are still better than a cell phone IMHO.

A GPS from Garmin, the best IMHO, will run about $150 for a non motorcycle specific unit, and has every feature you could want on it, including an MP3 player. I use a waterproof mount for mine, so I can use my car unit on my bike.

Jim
Have you tested its waterproofness?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
I messed around with this and the way I look at it is the smart phone is sort of a like a swiss army knife. Can open cans, cut things, be a screw driver, but is mostly not that good at it.

The smart phones:
1) lock quickly so you cant continue to navigate with them
2) burn through batteries, using usb or other connection ruins them just like it ruins the garmin units that also have to use usb
3) are not that durable even with the case against vibrations etc
4) are too expensive when a nice 78 or similar is a much better unit.

this is why I use dedicated GPS. Absolutely, no questions asked...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #45
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
1) lock quickly so you cant continue to navigate with them
Mine doesn't lock when I'm viewing maps or navigating. You have a setting wrong, or the wrong phone. Non-issue.

Quote:
2) burn through batteries, using usb or other connection ruins them just like it ruins the garmin units that also have to use usb
Been using a smartphone on a charger on my bike since before the iPhone. (probably started in about 2005) When does this 'ruination' happen? Non-issue for me.

Quote:
3) are not that durable even with the case against vibrations etc
Again, probably 100,000 miles and clipped to a RAM universal finger mount. Non-issue.

Quote:
4) are too expensive when a nice 78 or similar is a much better unit.
Mine are subsidized by my phone company. I carry it anyway for other reasons so the money is spent anyway. Buying a seperate GPS would be an added cost. Using the phone is a win/win IMHO. And latitude is almost like carrying a Spot device, only free, so I saved more $$$$.