Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #856
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The pushbikes are getting a workout though...
Argh the one BIG thing we miss is our mountain biking .... gotta be careful what I eat now or we will need a 1950 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

The yard Eh!....Just because I gave Ken my XL yesterday, might as well put "some" of it here he'll see it. Dirt tracker....I have shovels and Rum but no Pepsi.Yes, that's Beear damages them broken cherry tree branches.....
Dude lotsa snow there, bit warmer heer even inland.

Yeah thumper is all you need here, can't stretch the legs on Maya too often here for fera of being killed by a Mexican stunt driver ... and traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
Andi and Ellen, You two along with your hassles (now hopefully all behind you) were the main topic of conversation at the Vincent Rally last night. It was both pleasing and suprising to see how much interest there is in your ride even from bikers who don't go anywhere near adventure rides.

Keep the reports coming, there is a huge number of riders following your trip from here in Central Otago.
Heya Jantar, great news, promise to keep it coming for the boyz, really appreciate the support knowing we are being stalked by homelanders

There will alway be hassles in one way or another, wouldn't mind a few less but they do make for good reading ..... you imagine if we reported 20 degrees, still and sunny with nice lattes every day ... think that would wear thin quickly

More coming up shortly, heading inland now so some pretty cool stuff to look at, hope all is well at home.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #857
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,349
Wicked Its going to be a Goodyear Andi

Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #858
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

La Manzanilla To Manzanillo

Leaving Jolanda and Leons on Saturday we made tracks for Manzanillo to finally meet Spencer and Mary, at only 1 hour down the road it was an easy day, we set off with Ken and Carol Duval in a private BMW v KTM Dakar race ... we recklessly reached speeds of up to 85 km/hr

Again an uneventful trip ... I am getting used to these !!! we arrived at Spencers and Marys to to warm welcomes.

The boys had planned a local ride without luggage for the Sunday, in the morning Spencer and I set off for a ride which turned in to 200 km jaunt with probably 100 plus km of this offroad through small Mexican villages and some really strange looks, I am guessing to say it would have been the first ever 950 SE through there.

Our route

Really enjoyable ride taking in scenery and dust, we found our way out despite local advice of just turn around and go down that track!!!!!

Again we returned a little later than planned due to navigational discussions but Mrs.Garmin actually got us back to the tarmac.

Sunday night was one of Sushi galore a n d Kens 60th birthday so wines, Sushi and good times were had followed by a night of Dakar on the TV.

Monday Spencer had to go to work, we had some jobs planned for Maya, windscreen brackets and pannier braces as well as a home made bike cover, for the reference 4 metres of fabric does not go around a 950 SE so Tuesday we have to go back and grab some more.

We did go into town and go to the vege market .... felt like a total gringo ..... ouwh Ellen just said we are

Few pics from in town, not in any order,

Big arse bottle

The latest WW 2 frigates in the harbour

The large entrance mural for atmosphere

Very nice beaches

Yummo

The colours

Large iguana on Spencers back fence .... Mr.Boots the dog eyeing it up licking his lips

Unfortunately there was a lack of intricate engineering shops so my brackets etc went to the back burner, will try again in Mex City.

We did however make a new bike cover, this did get finished despite Ellen buying the wrong coloured material after she short ordered it ... at least we know which way is front now.

To conclude this is our we were here photo with the mob

Spencer said to make mention that RTW travellers are welcome with plenty of tent space in his yard, his only request is beer and a ride to go and play

Thanks to Spencer and Mary for having us stay.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #859
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

La Manzanillo To Apatzingan

Said goodbye to Spencer Mary Ken and Carol and headed for the hills.

Our route took us along the coastline then inland to Colima up to Tepalcatepec and down to Apatzingan .... apparently a very dangerous road we found out afterwards but everyone we saw waived.

Some dangerous locals on a truck

It was a reasonably long day (for us anyway), we got up to 2300 metres and it was actually quite cool again.

Apart from a quick chain adjustment and a coupla photo stops it was 20 degrees still and sunny ... but no lattes!!

We did however watch a hill steam away with a small eruption which was a treat.

Arriving at Apatzingan it was BLOODY hot, 40 degrees and we managed to time it perfectly for rush hour and were stuck in traffic ..did I mention it was hot.

Poor Maya worked up a bit of a sweat reaching 6 bars out of 7 on the temperature gauge, she had a piddle of petrol too, sounds like an O ring maybe on its way out.

We found a Hotel, parking way off the street and quiet (well... for Mexico), we turned on the ceiling fan and nearly had to nail everything down with stuff being blow everywhere. ... it worked well!!

Dude who worked there was really keen to learn of our trip, nice guy too.

Tea time was on so wondering off into the town centre we found a Chinese Restaurant, we said (we Ellen did) gidday and Ellen started talking in Chinese to Chun Sheng the fello at the counter who turned out to be the owner.

After about 10 minutes of chatting we decided to stop there and have Chinese for a change from Tacos etc.

We placed our order, Chun Sheng gave a us a BIG serving and then said gratis!!! .... he was so happy to talk with Ellen in Chinese so it was a treat for him and we certainly appreciated the food which was second to none, a very nice surprise indeed.

If you find your self in Apatzingan and wanting Chinese he is located about 4 blocks south of the city square on Constitucion, the food is excellent.

A treat was in order while in town so we got icecreams, it was very nice to sit in the town square and watch the world go by.

Couple of pics of town centre

A fountain

The church by night

On the way back we found these, we have no idea what they are but the colours were outstanding.

Next stop Uruapan and Volcano hunting!!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #860
Ozgirl61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
The photos have been fantastic, the trip looks like its going great.. Missing out on a lot of sushi by the sounds of it, great to see Ellen spreading the love...lol
Ozgirl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #861
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

Oddometer: 44
antigua motoshop

stop at my bikeshop in Antigua guatemala for a coffee guys, will be nice to hear your stories.

ride safe,
Taz
Motomundo Antigua
motomundo antigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #862
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,295
Thanks for the food pics! Nothing wrong with Tacos....that's supper tonight with the proper Mexican cookware.

And the boats....I think I may have the same P's in my old pics from 20-25 years ago.Now I'll have to look....

Same volcano too maybe????

Thanks for the memories!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #863
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Hi Guys
A long term lurker, this is my first time response, and I am driven to say that in an internet full of great sunset pictures, yours just hit me between the eyes. Wow! Having done three long overland journeys in my life(so far) its great seeing you doing this. Just plan on how you are going to stop, as cold turkey is unsettling if not depressive.
Your sunsets are going on the lunchroom wall tomorrow
thanks
john
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #864
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl61 View Post
The photos have been fantastic, the trip looks like its going great.. Missing out on a lot of sushi by the sounds of it, great to see Ellen spreading the love...lol
Trip going good, thank you for the props on the pics .... we only d it fo you of course

Will get Ellen to email some sushi through
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #865
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomundo antigua View Post
stop at my bikeshop in Antigua guatemala for a coffee guys, will be nice to hear your stories.

ride safe,
Taz
Motomundo Antigua
Heya Taz, sure will mate, we are stopping for about three weeks in Gutaemala or so learning Spanish so will definitely catch up.

Do you sell/have access to KTM parts etc?, we have a few things we need to address so looking to see how can do it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #866
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Thanks for the food pics! Nothing wrong with Tacos....that's supper tonight with the proper Mexican cookware.

And the boats....I think I may have the same P's in my old pics from 20-25 years ago.Now I'll have to look....

Same volcano too maybe????

Thanks for the memories!
Tacos... mmmmmm

Yes plenty to see and do here, now right up in the centre the placed has changed again, very different to what I pictured to the good side
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #867
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoUpTourer View Post
Hi Guys
A long term lurker, this is my first time response, and I am driven to say that in an internet full of great sunset pictures, yours just hit me between the eyes. Wow! Having done three long overland journeys in my life(so far) its great seeing you doing this. Just plan on how you are going to stop, as cold turkey is unsettling if not depressive.
Your sunsets are going on the lunchroom wall tomorrow
thanks
john
Heya John, thank you so much for your words, makes it very worth while for us having taken the picture (mainly for us) ((but just for your of course )) so really nice to read appreciative comments from overlanders who can appreciate having to be in the right place at the right time, a same as Ozgirl61 having been around the world and seen many sights it makes it more worthwhile for us.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #868
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Apatzingan To Uruapan

.... I know a shortcut.

As defined by Murphy “a shortcut is the longest distance between two points”

Bastid was right but we had fun so that is all that matters, leaving Apatzingan we exited up and up a zig zag steadily climbing to a small village, main street was one lane but the Mexicans managed to crowd three across.

Our turn off towards Nuevo San Juan was not posted and Mrs.Garmin was having a siesta it would seem so we shot past and carried on along the main street....which turned into rougher cobbles...turned into dirt .... this aint right.

Doing a U turn on a road not a lot wider than the length of Maya we headed back and stopped asking directions ... there was pointing up a funny skinny little road which was obviously the turn off ...

Gracias for the directions and we were off again, a beautiful narrow winding road through the village up and out then shingle, freshly dumped shingle, gravel, stones etc for rebuilding the road.

This made for interesting wrestling .. I mean riding as it was soft as well and boney, I used this as a good training, relaxed and let the long wheelbase of Maya look after us which she did.

The semi gnarly bit of the road was only 6km long before we hit beautiful tarmac again winding up through the trees and nice riding temperatures to.

Nuevo San Juan appeared which was our turn right down into Uruapan which was our destination, inspired by Gene and Nedas Volcano report we wanted to get to the church hidden amongst the lava.

We had arranged a couchsurf at Uruapan at a fellos place call Jorga, arriving at his work we waited for his return then he took us out to the section.

Also while waiting on the street a hot young lusty was really interested in the bike and us and even bought her boyfriend back for a look and chat, we were invited to a motocross event but it on after we were leaving.

While waiting there a fello on a 100GS races past and returns a minute later, quick chat and a few giggles and he races off again.

Jorga has two large dobermans, the boy was called Son and the girl was called Bitch.

Unloading the bike and getting organised we used our newly made bike cover for Maya to hide under, unfortunately Son took a liking to the cover and tore a big hole in it .... I didn’t see the funny side of that given it was the first time we used it....never mind, Ellen and a needle and thread fixed it, now there is no dispute as to which is the front.

The place was really neat

Extreme security

Banana tree

Porcelain plant

The dogs also barked all night at anything and everything, growling and telling them off made no difference, being really tired we really wanted a sleep and after the dogs shredded things we got a hotel just up from Jorga’s work and stayed a further two nights, turns out the owner of the hotel was the dude on the 100GS.

The not so new bike cover

Visiting the National Park which was just up from where we were staying was cool, nice plantings, beautiful creek and a river source that was very clear and cold.

The rest of the day was filled out with cruising in town and getting some tucker.

Angahuan and Paricutin was the plan to go to the Lava flow and see the church, we were served up a beautiful day so we made the most of it.

We didn’t get up to the top of the Volcano having walked into the church, this part of the history is amazing with the lava flow spreading for miles, see Gene and Nedas thread looking down from the top.

Church and volcano in the back ground

The place has an incredible stark beauty in the middle of the sea of lava, this bought back fantastic memories of our 2010 Iceland trip.

Lunch spot at Cafe del Lava

Huge expanse of lava flow with the volcano in the back ground

That evening we set out for tea and found a small place with pork and chicken soup, Ellen got the chicken and I got the pork not realising that mine was hot as .... all good ..red faced and sweating I enjoyed it.

The menu

Next stop Zitacuaro
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #869
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Uruapan To Zitacuaro

Leaving Uruapan we headed to Moreila then towards Toluca, we managed to get completely lost trying to get out of Moreila .... as did a Canadian who was equally and directionally challenged as we were.

We figured it out after cooling down with a cold coffee and some lunch, the road to Zitacuaro were we stayed was outstanding and a sport bikers dream climbing to 2900 metres

Some locals

Comfort stop

Beautiful day

Arrriving at Zitacuaro we decided to call it a day there as I was getting tired again (I must be gettin old).

Finding a Hotel was a mission, some were very pricey and others were ... very cheap, wanting something a little more than dodgy and not quite 5 star we ended up and Hotel Mexico on the main drag, very nice place and reasonable rates too, right in the hub of town with a huge food selection.

We stayed in Hotel Mexico, probably one of the nicest places we have stayed and very reasonably priced to, come highly recommended to a tired RTWer.

Once settled in a dealt to Maya's bleeding fork leg after some great advice from over on the OC.

We tried to get a film to do the job however the photo shops were shut so we cut up a plastic drink bottle which worked a real treat.

While performing the delicate operation in the parking lot of the Hotel we gained a small crowd who had taken interest ... so a photo was in order

To keep Maya company they bought along a child to chat with

A short walk around town after the repairs were done we saw all sorts of things, I seemed to be of interest being pretty much the only blonde head in town

Ballons and goodies for sale, seems to be the norm for a lot of these town

More food

VW vans are everywhere, they are used as Taxis.

A good sleep and wee were off to Mexico city to meet Gary and Ivonne
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #870
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Awesome update! Very cool pics!
Thanks dude, we are a little behind so time for the updates!!!

I Mexico city now at Garrys, got heaps to write about here...... better get into it!!