Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,971
Schizophrenic and confused GS owner...Please comment

Let me explain. I have owned about 50 bikes in the last 27 years. I love to sample all sorts of bikes. Trouble is I always seem to get bored with them and sell them off within a few months, often replacing it with another GS (this is my 6th GS, first R1200GS) I have put about 12,000 trouble free miles on her, I am comfortable doing 90% of my own maintenance and I have a trusted friend/mechanic who can address any serious issues 20 minutes away. Truthfully, I love this bike! It does it all! (I have a DRZ400S for the really nasty, technical stuff where a GS has no business). It's also old enough that if I drop the GS off road, which I have done a lot, it's no big deal...
I fell in love with the newer GS and got this stupid idea after spending a few days on a sweet 2012 GS while on a RawHyde trip. A co-worker recently was pondering the purchase of a new water-cooled GS, I had this grand idea to sell my '05 now and buy his much newer, farkled and cleaner 2011. Unfortunately, his plans changed and he kept his bike. Three weeks ago, a man placed a deposit on my bike and then backed out. I actually felt relieved and then today, a gentleman offered to buy my bike this weekend and this has got me spun up in a frenzy!
I have considered replacing my GS with either a new Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger 800, a new Rally Edition R1200GS, F800GS or even trying to sweet talk my wife into a new water-cooled GS. My understanding wife and friends (one of them who has 150K miles on his GS) all understandably think I'm nuts and that I'll just sell whatever I buy to find another R1200GS...I do dread the thought of a chain drive and less on-road comfort with the 800's. Losing all these wonderful farkles with a new Tenere would stink too. I don't know if the new GS with farkles is worth $13,000+ more than my bike!
Yes, I love the BMW Kool-aid, I love the fun events my BMW dealer puts on, the GS Trophy Challenges, the cult like following, the ability to adjust my valves easily, etc...
One one hand, I can see me on this bike for years. Even if it crapped the final drive or had some other major $2500 failure today, or in three years, it would still have been a lot cheaper than a new bike...On the other hand, a newer bike like the Tenere or Triumph, that is under warranty, with a dealership 10 minutes away (versus 80 minutes for BMW) would make me feel better and be very convienent.

I know that posting this under oilheads may be a bit biased, but thoughts?

My ad in the Flea Market: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847860

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 04:45 PM Reason: eye kan't sphell whell!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote