Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #7606
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
While trying to shave down my choke knob, I broke the whole thing off. Now I just have the little rod. It's hard to reach, but at least it clears nicely. :)

I suppose at some point I might order a new choke assy, but then again, maybe not.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #7607
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
While trying to shave down my choke knob, I broke the whole thing off. Now I just have the little rod. It's hard to reach, but at least it clears nicely. :)

I suppose at some point I might order a new choke assy, but then again, maybe not.

Rob
Hey Rob, maybe you can wrap a little electrical tape around the end to give you something to grab onto.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #7608
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
What aboutban r/c plane wheel colar?
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Wheel-Collars-263
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #7609
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
How about a flexible shaft?

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #7610
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
I recently picked up an 07 with 720 miles. I went on my first ride today. I really like how the bike is light weight and easy to handle. I noticed that 10500 is the max rpm. While riding today gravel and street that 6 or 7k rpm felt about right for shifting. I'm wondering what kind of range I will get out of the Clarke tank. I think this bike is going to be great on single track. I was going to rejet it but after riding and finding no surging and it also starts great (cold or hot). I'm going to leave it stock for now.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #7611
RockabillySlapMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
I recently picked up an 07 with 720 miles. I went on my first ride today. I really like how the bike is light weight and easy to handle. I noticed that 10500 is the max rpm. While riding today gravel and street that 6 or 7k rpm felt about right for shifting. I'm wondering what kind of range I will get out of the Clarke tank. I think this bike is going to be great on single track. I was going to rejet it but after riding and finding no surging and it also starts great (cold or hot). I'm going to leave it stock for now.

Sure is pretty
RockabillySlapMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #7612
total_n00b
Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Nice ride ;)

I found that mine '10 responded well to jetting and and FMF Q4 (some surging for me, but the jets and pipe were mainly to get a little more power out of it)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #7613
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Nice find and good looking seat! I got around 60 mpg out of my '06 in stock condition. Jet kit, pipe, running rich, lower gearing and rough trail riding lowered it to around 45 a lot of the time. I can get 50 to 55 mpg taking it easy, but I think it's still a little rich.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #7614
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
When I got my '10, I was never all that impressed with the mileage. It got usually 45-52, which is about what my DR650 got. Not impressive at all. Then I jetted it. I did the DynoJet kit and also a TwinAir filter. Since then, it's been peppier and more responsive, and mileage is now up into the mid 60's. Go figure.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #7615
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Nice find and good looking seat! I got around 60 mpg out of my '06 in stock condition. Jet kit, pipe, running rich, lower gearing and rough trail riding lowered it to around 45 a lot of the time. I can get 50 to 55 mpg taking it easy, but I think it's still a little rich.
That seats on it's way to you. The Guts tall seat was too tall for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #7616
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
My 2010 KLX250s bought new with 1 mile on it in May 2011 has breathed its last breath with over 50k on the odometer.

It was my only means of transportation so now I am scrambling to figure out what my next step is. I will let everyone know if I start parting it out. Which seems so far to be the most logical route.

streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #7617
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Ouch. Sorry to see that.

Fix it.

Look around (eBay etc) for a bike being parted out. '09 - '13 are the same other than the colors.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #7618
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakerfreak View Post
My 2010 KLX250s bought new with 1 mile on it in May 2011 has breathed its last breath with over 50k on the odometer.

It was my only means of transportation so now I am scrambling to figure out what my next step is. I will let everyone know if I start parting it out. Which seems so far to be the most logical route.
Crapola! Well I suppose this is as good a time as any to put in a sales pitch for my solidly farkled 2008 KLR (685 loses no oil). Much more comfy than a KLX this time of year especially with cushy heated grips. Yours for a good price.

If you do part out the KLX, put me first in line for radiator guards and large tank if you have them. Plus any unmolested turn signals and tank shrouds.

Alternatively why not get the engine rebuilt with a 351 kit and restart the clock?

Cheers,
Graham
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #7619
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakerfreak View Post
My 2010 KLX250s bought new with 1 mile on it in May 2011 has breathed its last breath with over 50k on the odometer. ...

Wow! 50,000 miles! It seems you have found the ultimate in "long term KLX250S" use. So pertinent info to this thread...
What exactly happened? Snapped cam chain or dropped valve, or something else? What if any engine problems have you had over those 50k? What was your history of valve adjustments required? We're the valves out of room for adjustment yet? Did it give any indication that it might need valves? OEM cam chain tensioner or manual? Etc, etc.
It would be cool if you could inspect the rest of the motor for wear...which presumably you would if you decide to rebuild.

I think a strong argument could be made for a stock or OEM 300 bore rebuild, if enough of the rest of the engine are worth reusing. Good luck with whatever course you take.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #7620
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I will post what happened at another time. This engine is not rebuildable as I need to ask Riverside Motorsports since they are the ones who tore it apart. Found a complete used engine on ebay for $1800 plus shipping. I'm really not sure i want to go that route, but my options are very limited.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote