Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #136
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by credx2 View Post
I have a three month old 2013 with 2500 miles on it. It hasnít even seen a good pot hole yet let alone a dirt road. My tank is cracked down the entire left side. Whatever BMW has done to remedy this five-design-year-problem isnít working. Itíll go into the dealer next week for a replacement under warranty but then what? Repeat problems are apparently not that uncommon and BMWís redesign is apparently no better than the designs on the Ď09s, 10s, 11s, and 12s. You just canít keep replacing poorly designed tanks with new poorly designed tanks until the warranty runs out and then say oh well consumer you're screwed so sorry.
Honestly I love to ride this bike but for the rest of my ownership Iíll always have that nagging concern in the back of my mind of ďwhen will the new tank start to crackĒ. HEY BMW IF YOUíRE LISTENING, HOW ABOUT LIVING UP TO ALL YOUR WIZ-BANG ENGINEERING, QUALITY DESIGN AND BUILD HYPE, AND YOUR PRICE TAG, AND MAKING THIS RIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL.
When Toyota starts making bikes Iíll buy one. This is my second GS and unless something really changes in Bavaria, likely my last BMW.
Credx2:
Just offering an opinion....
Until the crack either gets seriously big (starting to gap open), or your warranty is about to expire,
I would consider ignoring it ....

Who knows BMW might come out with an improved design between now and the end of your warranty,
at which point you could get the new design .... If that does not happen get your warrantied item just before the 3-year warranty expires ... I am told BMW warrants all parts (except wear items) for two years from date of installation which would give you a much longer "window" in which BMW might get the details worked out...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #137
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Have we ever found out if the Euro tanks are different on either F650 or F800? I have not read of a single cracked tank on the German forums.

I've got a spare in the Flea Market if one of you out of warranty guys needs one.
There's a poll on f800riders that is overwhelmingly showing US spec bikes (74:2 at the moment) I have a US spec bike in Europe and I've never used ethanol fuel. 12,500kms knock on wood no cracks yet

That carbon canister is coming off as soon as the warranty is up as well
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #138
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Most of the time I use ethanol gas (often nothing other there) and still after 25000 (knock on wood aswell) nothing happend. Can't imagine from what this can come.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #139
credx2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Credx2:
Just offering an opinion....
Until the crack either gets seriously big (starting to gap open), or your warranty is about to expire,
I would consider ignoring it ....

Who knows BMW might come out with an improved design between now and the end of your warranty,
at which point you could get the new design .... If that does not happen get your warrantied item just before the 3-year warranty expires ... I am told BMW warrants all parts (except wear items) for two years from date of installation which would give you a much longer "window" in which BMW might get the details worked out...
I can't let it go that long Iím relocating to Europe in the summer and the bike is going along. BMW USA, via my dealer says the warranty is not valid outside the US. (Fortunately the dealer in Ankara says they will honor the warranty. I guess Iíll find out definitively once I get there and am in need of a repair)
I'm not inclined to drive a brand new bike around with cracks in it after dropping that much money into a bike, I reserve the privilege of putting the first ding in it, not the manufacturer. They have had five years to get the tank redesigned correctly. I'm not optimistic they ever will.
credx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #140
credx2
Adventurer

Quote:
I have a three month old 2013 with 2500 miles on it. It hasnít even seen a good pot hole yet let alone a dirt road. My tank is cracked down the entire left side. Whatever BMW has done to remedy this five-design-year-problem isnít working. Itíll go into the dealer next week for a replacement under warranty but then what? Repeat problems are apparently not that uncommon and BMWís redesign is apparently no better than the designs on the Ď09s, 10s, 11s, and 12s. You just canít keep replacing poorly designed tanks with new poorly designed tanks until the warranty runs out and then say oh well consumer you're screwed so sorry.
Honestly I love to ride this bike but for the rest of my ownership Iíll always have that nagging concern in the back of my mind of ďwhen will the new tank start to crackĒ. HEY BMW IF YOUíRE LISTENING, HOW ABOUT LIVING UP TO ALL YOUR WIZ-BANG ENGINEERING, QUALITY DESIGN AND BUILD HYPE, AND YOUR PRICE TAG, AND MAKING THIS RIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL.
When Toyota starts making bikes Iíll buy one. This is my second GS and unless something really changes in Bavaria, likely my last BMW.

Correction the tank is cracked on both sides not just the left.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #141
credx2
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Do you have some pics?

Sorry I dont but the cracks are exactly like those in other photos in this thread.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #142
Karasu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Well I just joined the club and bought a used 2009 F800 with 12k on it. Evidently it came with a membership to the cracked tank club as well.

Luckily it's still under warranty and BMW is replacing the tank for me. The plus side is it's a US bike that was brought to Canada and a Canadian tank is getting put back on so I think I might lose the charcoal canister in the process. If that isn't the fix well then I have my full five year BMW warranty on the tank.

The best part is free storage till the tank comes into the shop, which sounds like it'll be the better part of a month. Hopefully the snow has stopped flying by then. Does anyone know what the newest revision of the tank P/N is? I'm curious to check if that's the one I get.

Here's a pic of it before the shop:

Karasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #143
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

part number listed at Max BMW is still: 16117704799

Which is the P/N they gave me in 2011 near the end of my warranty period on my 2009 ...
(and this replacement is starting to crack...)

You get a 5-year warranty from date of install?
Is that a special Canada thing?
Here in USA I think the best we can hope for is either 5-years from date of mfg (since it is an emissions related component),
or two years from date of installation of a replacement ....
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #144
Karasu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
part number listed at Max BMW is still: 16117704799

Which is the P/N they gave me in 2011 near the end of my warranty period on my 2009 ...
(and this replacement is starting to crack...)

You get a 5-year warranty from date of install?
Is that a special Canada thing?
Here in USA I think the best we can hope for is either 5-years from date of mfg (since it is an emissions related component),
or two years from date of installation of a replacement ....

I think you may be right that it's two years from the date of replacement. Previous owner used up my other three years.

Well when it's tossed on I'll let you guys know what P/N it comes with. It's a shame to hear they're still cracking but here's hoping I get lucky and the new one doesn't.
Karasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #145
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
I think you may be right that it's two years from the date of replacement. Previous owner used up my other three years.

Well when it's tossed on I'll let you guys know what P/N it comes with. It's a shame to hear they're still cracking but here's hoping I get lucky and the new one doesn't.
Ok ... got it ....
From the looks of things, my 2nd tank will be sufficiently cracked to deserve replacement within the 2-year "parts" warranty ...

We can only hope that maybe they have improved the mfg. process for the tank to get more consistant results ...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #146
Heakle
Wanderer

Oddometer: 21
Question

Quote:
Ok ... got it ....
From the looks of things, my 2nd tank will be sufficiently cracked to deserve replacement within the 2-year "parts" warranty ...

We can only hope that maybe they have improved the mfg. process for the tank to get more consistant results ...
2013 with less than 100 miles

On my first Saturday ride my buddy, who works for BMW, looks at my bike and says "Your fuel tank is separating".

Go straight to the dealer. Show them, they seem not concerned. When you come in for your 300 mile service we will replace it. We have a few in stock.

WOW.
Heakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #147
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heakle View Post
2013 with less than 100 miles

On my first Saturday ride my buddy, who works for BMW, looks at my bike and says "Your fuel tank is separating".

Go straight to the dealer. Show them, they seem not concerned. When you come in for your 300 mile service we will replace it. We have a few in stock.

WOW.
From what we are told, It is a double-wall tank, and so there is no impending danger from the crack ....
but ... it's an $800 part and a lot of labor/trouble to replace ........ it makes a guy wonder ...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #148
credx2
Adventurer

Problem resolved...for now

Quote:
Correction the tank is cracked on both sides not just the left.
An update. I took my bike back to the dealer, South Seas Cycle in Honolulu. Dropped it off before a two week business trip. Upon my return the tank had been replaced. Good on BMW and South Seas for taking care of the issue so quickly. Bad on BMW for allowing this problem to go on for so long. Hope this lasts of this issue for the life of the bike.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #149
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Do you have some pics?
What he said..I have a 2013 F800 and want to know where I should be inspecting for cracks...is it consistent for the most part on tanks? please

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #150
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

They all seem to crack right about .............. Here (either or both sides):

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post505785

The one in the picture is just starting to separate ...