User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
Schizophrenic and confused GS owner...Please comment

Let me explain. I have owned about 50 bikes in the last 27 years. I love to sample all sorts of bikes. Trouble is I always seem to get bored with them and sell them off within a few months, often replacing it with another GS (this is my 6th GS, first R1200GS) I have put about 12,000 trouble free miles on her, I am comfortable doing 90% of my own maintenance and I have a trusted friend/mechanic who can address any serious issues 20 minutes away. Truthfully, I love this bike! It does it all! (I have a DRZ400S for the really nasty, technical stuff where a GS has no business). It's also old enough that if I drop the GS off road, which I have done a lot, it's no big deal...
I fell in love with the newer GS and got this stupid idea after spending a few days on a sweet 2012 GS while on a RawHyde trip. A co-worker recently was pondering the purchase of a new water-cooled GS, I had this grand idea to sell my '05 now and buy his much newer, farkled and cleaner 2011. Unfortunately, his plans changed and he kept his bike. Three weeks ago, a man placed a deposit on my bike and then backed out. I actually felt relieved and then today, a gentleman offered to buy my bike this weekend and this has got me spun up in a frenzy!
I have considered replacing my GS with either a new Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger 800, a new Rally Edition R1200GS, F800GS or even trying to sweet talk my wife into a new water-cooled GS. My understanding wife and friends (one of them who has 150K miles on his GS) all understandably think I'm nuts and that I'll just sell whatever I buy to find another R1200GS...I do dread the thought of a chain drive and less on-road comfort with the 800's. Losing all these wonderful farkles with a new Tenere would stink too. I don't know if the new GS with farkles is worth $13,000+ more than my bike!
Yes, I love the BMW Kool-aid, I love the fun events my BMW dealer puts on, the GS Trophy Challenges, the cult like following, the ability to adjust my valves easily, etc...
One one hand, I can see me on this bike for years. Even if it crapped the final drive or had some other major $2500 failure today, or in three years, it would still have been a lot cheaper than a new bike...On the other hand, a newer bike like the Tenere or Triumph, that is under warranty, with a dealership 10 minutes away (versus 80 minutes for BMW) would make me feel better and be very convienent.

I know that posting this under oilheads may be a bit biased, but thoughts?

My ad in the Flea Market: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847860

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 04:45 PM Reason: eye kan't sphell whell!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I'd say that if you were selling only to get another Oilhead 1200, just keep the bike you have now. If you are going to get the new precision cooled GS, I say go for it! There will be much hatred and jealousy from those of us that dont have one

Selling for a Tiger or Tenere is not an option
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,113
Haven't ya heard...

These bikes are expensive to maintain...

Trade it in for a rumph
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
These bikes are expensive to maintain...
I never complained about maintenance cost. I do, and enjoy doing, most of it myself and get my oil/filters either online or at a local non-BMW shop...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,479
With a turn-over in bikes like that perhaps it's time to contemplate another interest seeing as that bikes may not really scratch your itch.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
mudmullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
It's all pretty clear to me

You've got a buying problem and so do you.
mudmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,553
You're still looking for nirvana. Sell that bike and avoid BMW dealerships. Buy yourself a new Stevlio NTX. Kids will look up to you, men will want to be you and women will want to have your children.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Theres a voice in your head saying, buy a Multistrada.
I know this, because i've heard this little voice as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,367
Eddy, buy what you want, what makes you happiest, all the ones in consideration are replaceable. If you're ok with the monetary loss/expense then the decision should be even easier. My opinion regarding the bikes you mention or have owned? The GS' are all similar, the newer ones offer more power, different braking systems, etc., but they're basically the same. You say that you love them and that says a lot, maybe their riding characteristics and ownership experience is what you're drawn to. Does that mean that you couldn't love some other marque's big trailie model? Of course not, and if one doesn't work out to your liking then so be it, get something else. Spend time reading owner opinions and the like, become acquainted with the bike, and most importantly, take them all out on test-rides while asking yourself if the bike is what you really want versus what it might represent. I've owned a fair amount of motorcycles too, many here have, but its you that ultimately has to pay for them.

Buy what you want, what fits your needs best.....oh, and by the way, cool last name.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 743
When it comes to motorbikes my manifesto has always been; who cares as long as my ego or my senses are satisfied. My psychiatrist tells me I need to latch on to one single bike and develop a closer relationship......no wait, that was what he said about women. Anyway, I think he said I shouldn't be so quick to jump from one thing to another.....no, no, that was the woman thing again. Oh yea...he said go out and get a hobby. That's it! So I did. I collect motorcycles and sample as many as i can just like I did with my other hobby back in college. Rode em hard and put them away wet.

I only have one wife, and I'm very happy with her for twenty years. She constantly keeps me on my toes with new farkles and system upgrades. As far as my motorcycles, until they are able to upgrade themselves for my ego and other senses, I will continue to swap them out as often as I change my underwear. Own sixteen now and have owned as much as twenty five at one time. It was easier to to juggle four girlfriends in college. What was I thinking?

Do what you gotta do fellow asylum member. Don't let anyone tell you those voices in your head aren't real.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
maybe their riding characteristics and ownership experience is what you're drawn to.
Very true, I love the feel of R-bikes. As mentioned, I enjoy the GS lifestyle (i.e. social events my dealer puts on, weekend trips, local rallies, the GS Trophy Challenges, BMW MOA rallies, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Own sixteen now and have owned as much as twenty five at one time.
Yikes! You too must have a great wife...and much deeper pockets than me! I'm a one streetbike, one dirtbike and one little bike for my son kind of guy...The battery tenders, taxes, paperwork, state inspections, insurance, servicing would be too expensive and too much of a hassle!

As far as the Moto Guzzi goes, I owned a Guzzi Bassa (think Harley Fatboy with motor turned 90 degrees). It cruised on the highway beautifully, it handles well but that transmission! It felt like somebody had tossed two handfuls of large rocks in the gearbox! CHUNK-CLUNKgrind-grind!

Since I actually use my GS alot off road, I am leaning towards a F800GS, I rode one last Fall, I loved the narrowness of the bike, the lighter weight but getting used to the more sensitive clutch would take a while...
I am leaning towards a 800GS
Old 02-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
If you're having doubts please let me know quickly Eddy. I am scheduled to pick up the trailer at 5 PM your time tonight, I don't want to rent a trailer I won't be using....
The cash can go back in the bank but my time can't...

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

No problem, it's your bike, come get her. Drive safely!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
If you're having doubts please let me know quickly Eddy. I am scheduled to pick up the trailer at 5 PM your time tonight, I don't want to rent a trailer I won't be using....
The cash can go back in the bank but my time can't...

Eddys been caught dithering If you can afford it Eddy, go for the new LC 12. DO NOT get an F800 as its not a 12, and you'll get bored quickly and wish you had a 12. Life's too short, go for it
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
No problem, it's your bike, come get her. Drive safely!
I'd much rather buy a bike (or car for that matter) from someone who's reluctant to sell it rather than from someone who can't wait to get rid of the POS.