User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Switch Gear

Yes I am still a noob to the GSA, but I have ridden it almost a thousand miles so far and I do not like the positioning of the handlebar switch gear. It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, I am 6'4" so maybe thats it. Wondering about such things. I am getting better at shifting as well LOL. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmin C View Post
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had.
Thanks Osmin C, It seems strange positioning after years on a Strom, I have thought about looking into turning bars just a little, but will wait a few more thousand. Thanks. D.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,264
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,854
Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..

I have issues with the standard switch gear on most bikes. I am so used to the BMW switch gear that it is hard to use regular gear. It is a bummer BMW went to the cheaper style on the new Wethead and other bikes.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I am used to Vstrom controls, and found them to be perfect for me. I also like the hi beam flasher where it is on Suzuki's. I really like my GSA, and am sure I will adjust to its differences. I just figured out how to set the ESA to different settings. I am on a roll. D.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
.... It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, ....
You can rotate the controls a bit (depending which bike it is) - that will bring the switches higher (or lower) - to fit your preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I have issues with the standard switch gear on most bikes. I am so used to the BMW switch gear that it is hard to use regular gear. ...
Oh, boy, you can say it again. And again!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyke View Post
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.

Well, I've got almost 30k miles on my GS, and while I'm somewhat used to the controls, I STILL DO NOT appreciate it, like it, or think it makes any sense whatsoever. The horn and cancel buttons are COMPLETELY wrong for smooth control and safety, as noted. I come from VFRs, CBRXXs, Vstroms, FJRs, etc...I'm actually looking forward to possibly owning a wethead someday and get some REAL controls.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I'm glad I'm not alone. I find it hard to cancel without affecting throttle. Getting around to adjusting.

K
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Oops. Obviously, I meant my right hand, not my left.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I have an '09 GS. Do my turn signals self-cancel?? Even after just signaling for and then completing a lane change?