ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 333
Switch Gear

Yes I am still a noob to the GSA, but I have ridden it almost a thousand miles so far and I do not like the positioning of the handlebar switch gear. It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, I am 6'4" so maybe thats it. Wondering about such things. I am getting better at shifting as well LOL. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 105
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmin C View Post
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had.
Thanks Osmin C, It seems strange positioning after years on a Strom, I have thought about looking into turning bars just a little, but will wait a few more thousand. Thanks. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,264
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer
 
trc.rhubarb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
__________________
2007 BMW GS Adventure / 2000 Ducati 900ss / 2010 Harley Ultra Limited / 1975 BMW R90/6 / 2006 DRZ400S
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,854
Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..

I have issues with the standard switch gear on most bikes. I am so used to the BMW switch gear that it is hard to use regular gear. It is a bummer BMW went to the cheaper style on the new Wethead and other bikes.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Oddometer: 338
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 333
Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I am used to Vstrom controls, and found them to be perfect for me. I also like the hi beam flasher where it is on Suzuki's. I really like my GSA, and am sure I will adjust to its differences. I just figured out how to set the ESA to different settings. I am on a roll. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Badlands (of NJ)
Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
.... It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, ....
You can rotate the controls a bit (depending which bike it is) - that will bring the switches higher (or lower) - to fit your preferences.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I have issues with the standard switch gear on most bikes. I am so used to the BMW switch gear that it is hard to use regular gear. ...
Oh, boy, you can say it again. And again!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
qman8
GS09
 
qman8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: new philadelphia, ohio
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyke View Post
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.

Well, I've got almost 30k miles on my GS, and while I'm somewhat used to the controls, I STILL DO NOT appreciate it, like it, or think it makes any sense whatsoever. The horn and cancel buttons are COMPLETELY wrong for smooth control and safety, as noted. I come from VFRs, CBRXXs, Vstroms, FJRs, etc...I'm actually looking forward to possibly owning a wethead someday and get some REAL controls.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
KsFolly
Adventurer
 
KsFolly's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Escondido, CA
Oddometer: 64
I'm glad I'm not alone. I find it hard to cancel without affecting throttle. Getting around to adjusting.

K
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
Oops. Obviously, I meant my right hand, not my left.
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I have an '09 GS. Do my turn signals self-cancel?? Even after just signaling for and then completing a lane change?
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014