Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
rmhrc628 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig525 View Post
Did the same ride a few years ago left Bright around 9ish arived Lilydale around 5

Thanks, I agree it will be a long day. Thats the fun.

Say heading north - is there a adv bike suitable type route (loaded bike) from lake cobbler track to bright ?

It looks like I can turn right and keep going along the abbeyard road but Im not sure how long for as I donrt have maps in front of me
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
If you're heading to the film festival, be advised the biggest issue I had for the weekend was a sore bum - too many great films to watch. I'm planning a shortish road ride up to minimise the severity.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
rmhrc628 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like a few options

Cobbler lake track then turn right into abbeyards rd then left into camp ck track - run into scotchmans tk then up to bright along buckland valley. Then I'm in bright!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #19
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 708
Or left into Camp Creek track, then right onto Yarrabuck (done it on my ktm 640A, not too hard), then down Goldie Spur (eazy peezy) onto Buckland valley.

There is no bridge at Dandongadale. There was a ford to the south last Labour Day, but water was too deep and fast for us. Soould be better this year.

Haven't been on Scotchmans Creek track so cannot comment.

Buckland Valley Road is like a gravel highway for most of its length. (especially from Scotchmans Creek track )

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
grumpyoldbstrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
rmhrc628,
The track from Lake Cobbler to Abbeyard has a nasty long straight climb, then an off camber hard left turn and then another steep climb - could be a bit ugly on anything bigger than a 650. The Williams Logging Tk is more gentle and windy. Once you reach the top, the main track is easy down to Abbeyard.
The Scotchmans Tk has some very ugly (for me that is) steep sections and the preceeding Camp Creek Tk has some seriously steep bits. Don't know the current conditions of the track surface, but the steep bits will still be there.
I fell off a few times (BMW F650 Dakar) and was very glad I had someone with me to help.
Cheers & good luck,
GOB
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
rmhrc628 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldbstrd View Post
rmhrc628,
The track from Lake Cobbler to Abbeyard has a nasty long straight climb, then an off camber hard left turn and then another steep climb - could be a bit ugly on anything bigger than a 650. The Williams Logging Tk is more gentle and windy. Once you reach the top, the main track is easy down to Abbeyard.
The Scotchmans Tk has some very ugly (for me that is) steep sections and the preceeding Camp Creek Tk has some seriously steep bits. Don't know the current conditions of the track surface, but the steep bits will still be there.
I fell off a few times (BMW F650 Dakar) and was very glad I had someone with me to help.
Cheers & good luck,
GOB
Thankyou GOB :)

I rode lake cobbler to abbeyards perhaps 6 years ago - didnt have too much trouble but I have never been north of the abbeyards road, just track guessing off the rooftop maps. Your advise is excellent and I may take a different route as a loaded xr600 with big tank etc is zero fun in tight rocky nasty stuff.

So Williams logging road is the preferred route - I'll try this as I know the lake cobbler track and would be keen to try somethgn new.

Thanks for the track type heads up, appreciate it
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 6,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Bloody long day - Google reckons it'll take 59 hours....
I recon thats how long it would take if you tried it on a KLR250 I once had...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote