ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
BoundaryRider OP
ApprenticeAdventurer
 
BoundaryRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 24
Any late model Tenere owners running single disc front end

I am trying to reduce weight on my 2010 Tenere XT660Z. I am thinking to remove one disc and caliper off the front wheel. However, I don't know how this will effect the master cylinder. Has anyone done this,and is there anything I should be aware of.
__________________
Apprentice Adventurer
2010 XT660Z Tenere
BoundaryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
OzRob
Studly Adventurer
 
OzRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Australia, Snowy mountains NSW
Oddometer: 667
The question i would have is why?
The reason I bought a Tenere is because of the fantastic brakes..who does not like Brembo???///.if I wanted poor brakes I would have bought a DR, or my old KLR.
Remember the Tenere has a lot of weight on the front wheel, having better brakes is a must.

I find the front wheel does not lock up too much when braking hard on the dirt.

Now to answer your question the master cylinder size is important, the amount of fluid that is displaced is relative to the force on the front calipers, you may find than by only having one caliper attached the wheel may even lock up more due to the pressure at the master cylinder being only applied to one cylinder and not distributed across two calipers.
It's all about displacement of fluid at what pressure and the size of the pistons.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride
 
MymoJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
Oddometer: 2,737
Unsprung weight

I am very surprised more people have not asked this question.

1 less disc and calliper will have a massive difference to the feel of your bikes front end. The secret is finding a solution for maintaining strong brakes and good feel. Get that right and you will never look back.

You are on the right track with a smaller master cylinder coupled with a larger disc.....

Just sayn



Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
The question i would have is why?
The reason I bought a Tenere is because of the fantastic brakes..who does not like Brembo???///.if I wanted poor brakes I would have bought a DR, or my old KLR.
Remember the Tenere has a lot of weight on the front wheel, having better brakes is a must.

I find the front wheel does not lock up too much when braking hard on the dirt.

Now to answer your question the master cylinder size is important, the amount of fluid that is displaced is relative to the force on the front calipers, you may find than by only having one caliper attached the wheel may even lock up more due to the pressure at the master cylinder being only applied to one cylinder and not distributed across two calipers.
It's all about displacement of fluid at what pressure and the size of the pistons.
__________________
Simpson Trip 2008

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233




Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 132
I can't see why you would want less.

But the xt660r uses only 1 rotor and caliper, maybe something can mated off that to the tenere being how the are almost te same bike.
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness
 
Lc8grrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Not quite Tamworth, Aus
Oddometer: 414
Been running with only one disc on my 950 for probably 50,000k and have no problems. Some dont get the unsprung weight idea so just give it a go. The brake will just want a bit more squeeze to lock up which I'm happy with. If one finger braking is your thing you wont like it unless you change mastercylinder.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
BoundaryRider OP
ApprenticeAdventurer
 
BoundaryRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 24
Thanks to all of you for your input
Before I pull everything off, I am thinking to use vice grips to clamp off one side of the brake line ( without to much damage I hope) and see how the bike pulls up.
__________________
Apprentice Adventurer
2010 XT660Z Tenere
BoundaryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
gordonmichaellee
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Near Byron Bay
Oddometer: 323
Silly idea

Silly idea IMO, you should be loosing weight off less critical components, headlights, speedo, handlbars, rims, tubes etc.

Even if you get it to sort of work the first time you need it in an emergeny I bet you'll agree with me.

Cheers Gordo
gordonmichaellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 132
What else have you taken off it to make it light boundary?

If I wanted to make my tenere lighter the easy way would be for me to drop some kilos;)
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
BoundaryRider OP
ApprenticeAdventurer
 
BoundaryRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty4x4 View Post
What else have you taken off it to make it light boundary?

If I wanted to make my tenere lighter the easy way would be for me to drop some kilos;)

Took the gigantic muffler off and replaced it with a single can.
Zeta handelbars.
If anything I have made it heavier by adding on crashbars, radiator guard, centre stand, bashplate, etc.
I guess I am trying to get rid off a few kilos. As a friend of mine suggested, If lost 15 kgs myself, my bike would handle a lot better, but thats another story.
__________________
Apprentice Adventurer
2010 XT660Z Tenere
BoundaryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness
 
Lc8grrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Not quite Tamworth, Aus
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmichaellee View Post
Silly idea IMO, you should be loosing weight off less critical components, headlights, speedo, handlbars, rims, tubes etc.

Even if you get it to sort of work the first time you need it in an emergeny I bet you'll agree with me.

Cheers Gordo
Yeh right, most of those items are sprung weight, and a single disc will make the forks twist??
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: bay of plenty, nz
Oddometer: 1,074
If you're drastic enough to drop a disc then you're on the wrong bike. Buy a 690.

I chose to go the other way. Instead of losing weight I doubled the HP and bought a 800XC
__________________
2007 vfr 800 for sale, 14200km $8900 pm if interested cheers
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014