Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #1216
blade07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Hey leftysrule, I put Hepco and Becker crash bars and skid plate on my KLR and can give them
the thumbs up after several downs on the weekend. Slamed the bike into an unmovable rock and only a small
dent in the engine bar, would have been the water pump and clutch cover with out the bars.
Motorcycle adventure products in Qld. are the agents 07 3139 0387.
They are easy as to fit.
blade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #1217
oneblackdog
slowest of the slow

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croissant Warrior View Post
Morning folks,

Sad day for me as I head outside my door to find no more motorcycle. Please keep an eye out for a beat-up hand-painted yellow plastics KLR (2000) with a large white plastic IMS fuel tank, and fake "Caterpillar" stickers on front and sides. It also has a black plastic top box (Action Packer) with a grey lid.

In case it goes for part, look for someone selling a stayintune exhaust, a custom Moab shock (red spring), tall windshield, sheepskin seat cover, etc.

Here are a couple of pics:

The bike was parked outside on the street, steering lock but that is it - I was told Melbourne a pretty safe city but I should know better there are thieves anywhere. It was steering locked and I see no sign of breakage on the ground. I suspect a quick lift on a ute.

Plate number 1I-5WH

If you see anything call 0417 951 605

Anyone knows the chances of recuperating my bike?
v sorry to read that

...long way to come to have your bike stolen, and of all the ugly KLRs you'd think that one would be safe

OBD
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #1218
charlie59
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
Just checked my header pipe bolts and they were loose, not fully tightened up, here's hoping that's all it was. I'll go for a ride on Saturday and report back if I'm still experiencing it.

i had one of the header nuts come right off and the copper crush gasket between the pipe and the head burnt through. cheap fix and no harm done,give it a tighten when ya get home.
charlie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #1219
leftysrule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyks View Post
It's just excess awesome being released.

For the bars, Macca had a set going cheap. If you were local it could be a deal, but they are a pain to wrap for posting.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...t=57740&page=5
Thanks for the heads up hoyks
I'm in Grafton but my son works on the goldie
I sent macca a pm see how we go
leftysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #1220
leftysrule
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade07 View Post
Hey leftysrule, I put Hepco and Becker crash bars and skid plate on my KLR and can give them
the thumbs up after several downs on the weekend. Slamed the bike into an unmovable rock and only a small
dent in the engine bar, would have been the water pump and clutch cover with out the bars.
Motorcycle adventure products in Qld. are the agents 07 3139 0387.
They are easy as to fit.
Thanks for the info I'll follow them up
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #1221
leftysrule
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Holmgren View Post
Where are you? Motoradgarage in WA have SW motech bars.

Andy Strapz can get them in and he is here in Vic (Melbourne). You wont get a bigger tank on with engine guard bars so just make that decision consciously(one or the other really). I have SW bars and have flipped my bike at 50 and it landed radiator size after tail standing and bent the engine bars about an inch in so they touched the faring but the plastics were file (and everything under that too). Very happy. Got a second set under insurance but would have continued using them if I wasnt covered.

Also made my own bash plate from a stainless steel trough. You can see in this image.

I ain't called sunken man for nothing
Good luck.
Thanks Oli I will have to mull over the tank/bars option
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #1222
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
Just checked my header pipe bolts and they were loose, not fully tightened up, here's hoping that's all it was. I'll go for a ride on Saturday and report back if I'm still experiencing it.
Ok I can report the backfiring has stopped after tightening those bolts. Thanks for all the advice.
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #1223
Sunken Man
Sunken Man

Oddometer: 53
Fuel bladders

Hey KLR army!
I am organising a 12L Fuel bladder bulk buy over here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=860650&page=1

If you are thinking about some long miles and have precluded the possibility of a bigger tank by putting on engine guard bars then it might be worth checkin these out.

We have 22 people in at this point. Its proving quite popular.
Sunken Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #1224
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Hey KLR army!

If you are thinking about some long miles and have precluded the possibility of a bigger tank by putting on engine guard bars then it might be worth checkin these out.

Bit pricey for me Olly.

I plan to hit the Simpson June/July and will need to carry an extra 20 litres. Current plan is to hang a cheap backpack either side of the tank with two 5L wine cask bladders of fuel in each side.

i'm looking at ways to attach a base plate to the Happy Trails highway pegs so the backpacks will have something to sit on to support the weight.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #1225
Sunken Man
Sunken Man

Wine casks

I looked into other bladder options. They certainly can be used. Make sure you do ya research though and know what they will and wont do.

Make sure they aren't where you can drop the bike and squash them too for several reasons. Firstly, if they pop then you don't have that fuel to get where you are going and secondly you risk getting fuel everywhere when you drop the bike.

Sand is a bugger and if you ride enough of it you will put the bike down (unless you are a much better rider than I *quite possible*).

Although I have done a good bit of sand in the 35,000km I have done.

Good luck with that trip. I like making things from what is available so I support finding alternatives to the bought bladders. Just think it out well in advance.

I cop crap (amongst other things) for having kitchen sinks as panniers

Anyway, good luck with your trip. I'd be keen to hear how the wine casks work out.

There are a few shots of my KLR with the kitchen sinks on it up higher if you are up for a laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Bit pricey for me Olly.

I plan to hit the Simpson June/July and will need to carry an extra 20 litres. Current plan is to hang a cheap backpack either side of the tank with two 5L wine cask bladders of fuel in each side.

i'm looking at ways to attach a base plate to the Happy Trails highway pegs so the backpacks will have something to sit on to support the weight.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #1226
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
I tired 2 of these last year on the way to the Flinders, the first one leeched fuel through the material (whatever they are made of) and it got to the stage where I was constantly chasing blokes away from the bike when they were smoking. This one was thrown in the bin at Wilcannia and Coxy was good enough to loan me a second one that did exactly the same
Since then I bit the bullet and bought a Safari and the problem is solved
Now over 800km range and no more leeching fuel bladders

Glen

Quote:
Hey KLR army!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #1227
-Macca-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Went out for a quick squirt with a mate last night to Matlock (Vic) via Noojee, then home via the Thomson Dam & Sth Gippsland this morning:

Me on the KLR, mate on the BM. That plume of smoke on the horizon is the Aberfeldy fire still burning - it's ~40 km's away.. (another pic here)
-Macca- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #1228
Sunken Man
Sunken Man

Matlock

That's a great ride hey! I did that a few years back. Anyone in Vic who hasn't done it, I really dug it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Macca- View Post
Went out for a quick squirt with a mate last night to Matlock (Vic) via Noojee, then home via the Thomson Dam & Sth Gippsland this morning:

Me on the KLR, mate on the BM. That plume of smoke on the horizon is the Aberfeldy fire still burning - it's ~40 km's away.. (another pic here)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1229
leftysrule
Adventurer

Since then I bit the bullet and bought a Safari and the problem is solved
Now over 800km range and no more leeching fuel bladders

Thinking that I should do that and then that solves the crash bar issue and fuel carrying

IMS 40L or Safari 32L ???

Any feedback or reviews on a comparison?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #1230
Nessy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My 2004 With KX Conversion

Nessy screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:34 PM
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote