Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #3271
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post

Swamp tatcis - skirting the sides to avoid the deep spots . Every hole has a deep section - In this pix it looks like I just pulled out of it.

Ya-ya-ya......skirting the sides! Looks like you're just about to take out some brush!

Sounds like had a good ride.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #3272
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
JD Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieClay View Post
'0701 EU map installed with stock exhaust, JD tuner, desmogged and map switch. Works fine. Have had several maps installed. Hardly noticeable difference between any of the unrestricted maps. Only reason I went for the EU map is to allow the switch to work.... do notice the difference but I think it's over rated... you'll be significantly happier with any of the unrestricted maps over the original crap that is loaded on there.
I have the JD installed as well, it really helped but the bike still dies off idle. Are you still running the recommended settings? And yes, the exhaust baffle fell out.
GS eh! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #3273
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
Are you still using the stock exhaust on the bike? How do you like the way it runs with this map?
Yes, except small screen at end removed & slight mods to internals at spark arrestor area. Yes, I love the way it runs! Haven't had it in the dirt since the switch install but rode it around my area with it. I can see where I might use the mild in slippery conditions but plan to leave it in the wild for most riding. It ran very well with just the tune before the switch though, big improvement over stock!
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #3274
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostracer View Post
Yes, except small screen at end removed & slight mods to internals at spark arrestor area. Yes, I love the way it runs! Haven't had it in the dirt since the switch install but rode it around my area with it. I can see where I might use the mild in slippery conditions but plan to leave it in the wild for most riding. It ran very well with just the tune before the switch though, big improvement over stock!
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it
GS eh! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #3275
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Been away from this thread for a while and trying to catch back up,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
I saw this , http://shop.ktm.com/usa_en/powerpart...-filter-1.html but I also thought I read somewhere there was a mesh version that was small enough to prevent water going through yet let enough air. The only mesh version I see now is for dust. I didn't look into it what so ever but if you have the seat off and maybe the battery out can you get your hands into the air box , so the side cover remains intact, to seal it up with some grease or even a nice thick finger bead of silicone? I have great success with getting large beads of silicone off easily, it's when I use small amounts it becomes impossible glue. Grease in all the seams and gaps I would think would slow the influx of water. The top of the box is wide open if I recall. Like you I'm used to rubber air boxes that squeeze onto the throttle body/carb and get a spring in the groove with a snorkle on top right under the seat. This is new to me as well so take what you will. My crossings altho deep have never been very lengthy. Maybe 100-200 ft. My uncle would just scream at me " GO FASTER, DONT STOP! " :)

Dirty in all - Thanks for the reply with the link. I'll look into that filter and see if I can find anymore info on it. From the picture it looks just like a normal foam filter but I'm assuming its different in some regard. Like you I silicon-ed my 525 air box seams but found the silicone only bonded to the plastic for a few days before peeling itself off the air box and the gaps presenting themselves. When I return to the states in a few weeks I will be stopping by the body shops in search of plastic filler they use for plastic bumper repair as it supposedly bonds without the issues of the silicone sealer I had. Its not cheap as peanuts but if it will slow down the entry of the water I'm interested. I feel sealing off the air box lid will be key but it needs to be re-usable for air filter maintenance. I'll first be trying good ole fashioned duct taping the lid seams. So hopefully between the plastic filler on the seams and duct tape on the air box it'll make it a bit farther on the water crossings.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #3276
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
why not just get a boat if youre gonna be riding in water like..
A BOAT!!! I'm not quite that dead yet, still got miles of riding left in the body hopefully. My view is its an off road enduro bike and should be able to get across river crossings if they are below seat height. My Japanese MX bikes never designed for river crossings had no issues but my Race Ready enduro KTM wheezed to a halt faar to often. I'm silently hoping the 500 does not fear the water like the 525 did.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #3277
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The K&N filter (oiled cotton) will not pass water. It will choke out the motor first.
BUT, the adapter the sell for the KTM's in the past sucks, it will pass dirt. Good filter, bad application.

Foam filters let water right in. The con-rods on these bikes are VERY expensive.

Re-think that boat.
I tried a K & N filter on a dirt bike 15 years ago and once it got dealt a thin coating of dust, it as you noted, choked out the motor by restricting the airflow to the point I could not even make it back to the truck one ride. Sadly the oiled K & N's work well enough in the clean air on street bikes but I feel they are inappropriate on a dirt bike.

Put enough miles on my KTM to replace cranks, rods ,etc and yep they are not cheap. Just a shame the one piece air boxes I've used in the past never had these issues but KTM's air box on the enduro bikes leak like a sieve.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #3278
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Thanks guys. I removed the seat, turned off the lights and took a flash light to the bottom of the air box to find the big gaps and taped em up - not too many. The air box seals pretty good (not as good as the LC4) and most the gaps were on the left lower side. I only covered the lower half of the right side - looks like that's a big breatheing spot as well as the top under the seat. If it does not choke the bike up I'll replace with silicone.
Good progress. Hopefully you have better quality Silicone or one that bonds better than the stuff I used on my 525. After a few days pounding about offroad it was peeling off the airbox. Keep us updated on the progress.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #3279
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Hey guys I am thinking of joining the 500 club. I can't read through the 200+ pages. Is everyone still happy with the bike, any problems or issues I should look for when shopping. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3280
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I tried a K & N filter on a dirt bike 15 years ago and once it got dealt a thin coating of dust, it as you noted, choked out the motor by restricting the airflow to the point I could not even make it back to the truck one ride. Sadly the oiled K & N's work well enough in the clean air on street bikes but I feel they are inappropriate on a dirt bike.

Put enough miles on my KTM to replace cranks, rods ,etc and yep they are not cheap. Just a shame the one piece air boxes I've used in the past never had these issues but KTM's air box on the enduro bikes leak like a sieve.
You should really get yourself a 70 Berg Justin!

How about using an oiled foam pre-filter on top of the K&N, is there such a thing available that would fit? I know that this is the way the 950/990 guys like to do it.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #3281
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
I have the JD installed as well, it really helped but the bike still dies off idle. Are you still running the recommended settings? And yes, the exhaust baffle fell out.
Running pretty close to the original JD tuner settings. WIthout the JD I still get a lot of flame outs even with the re-map - with the tuner only the occasional one. The bike is pretty good now with this setup. The fuel injection/tuning still doesn't feel 100% like it should though. I had a 2009 KX450F and the fuel injection/tuning was much better. No flame outs ever and consistently crisp and agressive response every time you twisted the throttle from anywhere in the rev range.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #3282
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Running pretty close to the original JD tuner settings. WIthout the JD I still get a lot of flame outs even with the re-map - with the tuner only the occasional one. The bike is pretty good now with this setup. The fuel injection/tuning still doesn't feel 100% like it should though. I had a 2009 KX450F and the fuel injection/tuning was much better. No flame outs ever and consistently crisp and agressive response every time you twisted the throttle from anywhere in the rev range.
Sorry but you cant compair a mx bike to an enduro bike tha t has to meet emissions specs . Two different ball parks.
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #3283
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Go back about 10 pages in this thread to post 3091 and 1203 page 81.http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1203
The Throttle Position Sensor TPS may be set wrong and causes the motor to flame out.
My bike will lug down to about 2 rpm and yours should too.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3284
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You should really get yourself a 70 Berg Justin!

How about using an oiled foam pre-filter on top of the K&N, is there such a thing available that would fit? I know that this is the way the 950/990 guys like to do it.

Lukas you're like a pimp with that Berg, trying to tempt me to have a taste. Believe me every time the KTM was once again getting its cylinder purged of water I would dream of an air box like the Berg. Sadly the times I've had the KTM battery die on me after stopping and starting so many times around obstacles, getting bikes unstuck etc, and had to rely on the kick starter I'm scared to go without it. My major nitpick with the Berg is no kick start. However one of my mates did go from 525 to the 570 Berg and he's indeed loving it.

I'm sure i could cut and re-glue existing foam filters into a shape to form a cover for the K & N. My query is why would the oiled cotton of the K & N not pass water versus the oiled foam filter? Is there a basic property difference that does not allow the water to flow passed the cotton? I'm not clear on why people believe they will not pass water.

Dirty in all posted a link to a KTM Hard Parts filter that is supposed to be more water tolerant. I posted about this product on KTMTalk asking about it and so far it only looks like an additional foam cover. I have drowned my KTM with oiled filter covers in the past so I'm not confident in the additional oil foam cover as a solution.

Post up if there are other suggestions.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #3285
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,973
Still Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
Hey guys I am thinking of joining the 500 club. I can't read through the 200+ pages. Is everyone still happy with the bike, any problems or issues I should look for when shopping. Thanks.
I am not sure why, maybe I am not demanding enough, but I love my 5 hunny and I have had ZERO issues after desmog replacing 10M filter and installing JD turner. Starts perfectly, runs strong and very crisp. I came off a well set up 530 and there is no comparrison. This bike is wicked!

However, I live in Florida so super cold is not a problen nor is elevation nor for that matter water. I just do normal maintenance and ride the shit out of it...

If you are thinking about a 5hunny as your new ride you will not be disappointed. IMHO.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote