Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #61
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Nice in the winter. Bad in the summer?

Personally, needing my legs to be warmer or drier has never been an issue for me. I mean, if it's wet out, I'm wearing waterproof gear, so I don't need my gas tank to keep my legs dry . If it's cold out, my legs are the last thing I worry about warming up. I have Widder Lectric chaps for when it's THAT cold, but the reality is I almost never wear them. Normally, the coldest conditions only require warm socks and long johns and my Lectric vest - maybe with the arm chaps.

Don't get me wrong. Would I like to have more fuel capacity? Sure. But do I NEED it. No. It seems like most of the reasons people always give for why somebody should get a GSA isntead of a GS are really just lame rationalizations - which do not make up for the extra 40+ pounds of weight. I don't see how it's better for taller people. The seat to peg distance is the same, right? The stock GSA windscreen and winglets give better wind protection than the stock GS screen, but that is easily and cheaply fixed without spending all the extra money for a GSA and then having all the extra weight to deal with. And even the extra ground clearance seems like more of a poser thing. If you're serious enough about offroading a GS to need that extra 1/2 inch of clearance, you're probably going to put on aftermarket suspension anyway, at which point the advantage of the stock GSA is moot.
If you ever take your show on the road to less developed countries you will learn to appreciate a bike with an over 300 mile range every day you ride it.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #62
Iggster OP
Tornanti über alles!

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
Neither choice is about need. If everyone bought what they need it would be kind of dull. Everyone gets want they want. I had a Triumph Tiger 1050. It did what I needed it to do. got rid of it cause I wanted the Rallye GS, sure didn't need it but damn it looks fine! You don't have to have a reason to get a GS vs a GS Adventure just a want. I don't really care if someone else thinks I didn't the right bike for what I use it for. I do and that's all that matters. Buy what you want, ride it with a big grin on your face until you want something else. It's really that easy.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
Nice. I definitely don't NEED the 1200GS. I'm in your boat...I saw the 2012 1200GS Rallye and just really want it. We'll see how the 2-up test ride goes this weekend...
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #63
millsan1
IBA #49986

Oddometer: 239
Careful. That's how mine started. "Just gonna check it out" and here she is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #64
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
If you ever take your show on the road to less developed countries you will learn to appreciate a bike with an over 300 mile range every day you ride it.

Seriously....the "oversized" tank gets such negativity its sort of unbelievable. I've been PLENTY of places stateside that are easily a 50 mile ride from a gas station....you've really got to pay attention to your route and your remaining fuel depending on where you travel or you could find yourself sweating it out....

Personally, I love the fact I easily get 300 miles before thinking about fuel...my Tuono was a hundred mile tank and better start looking...then the HD got me to 250...it was awesome. Now, 300! Yeah, I'll take that.

To each their own....there is no wrong answer.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #65
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
It's funny you say this. After a thorough test ride of the 2012 1200GS on Saturday, I am having serious second thoughts. I currently own a HD Road King (for touring) and a F650GS Twin (for commuting, day rides, canyon carving, etc). I'm realizing that I just might have the best of both worlds already...and maybe I don't need to downsize to "one bike to rule them all." Thanks for the opinions and info!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #66
Iggster OP
Tornanti über alles!

Oddometer: 74
Pulled the Trigger!

Well, I guess this picture says it all...

Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #67
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Beautiful bike! Great choice.
I dreamed of owning one for a long time. Got it, loved it. When I win the lottery my garage will have several bikes in it, BUT my first choice will always be the GS.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #68
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Congrats! The Rallye is sooo soooo sexy.

I wish the color scheme was offered on a GSA. Oh well, I will have to make due with Triple Black
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #69
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

its a beaut, clark!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #70
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Awesome bike, congrats
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #71
jwacree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Nicely done!
I have a F650GS, R1150GS, K1200lt. I made the mistake and road a 12GS. It's the only bike I would trade all three for, and the rally edition is just icing on the cake!

Well done!!
jwacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #72
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,456
Great bike...congrats on owning a special one.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #73
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by KankakeeBenjamin View Post
I think there are a million opinions however mine is that the gsa is the king. This is if you were limited to one bike. I think the gs/gsa is the best all around motorcycle. I have a multistrada now and it just isn't as good as my gsa was at everything.
I have been through quite a few bikes too, I currently have 4 in the garage, an 08 Monster S4RS Tricolour, an 05 Boxercup Replica, an 12 tenni green Griso and a 2013 Stelvio NTX. The Stelvio pushes all my buttons in a way that the departed 08 GSA never did. For me it's a better all round bike.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #74
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I have been through quite a few bikes too, I currently have 4 in the garage, an 08 Monster S4RS Tricolour, an 05 Boxercup Replica, an 12 tenni green Griso and a 2013 Stelvio NTX. The Stelvio pushes all my buttons in a way that the departed 08 GSA never did. For me it's a better all round bike.
Now that's a line up, Stevie. I could do without the Stelvio, but wow.......the Griso? The S4RS Tricolore? The boxer cup??? Incredible collection. Fantastic.

What color is your boxercup?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #75
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Great Bike!

What a great bike! Congratulations! I got my '12 Triple Black GS from Renn a couple of months ago. Good choice. Great dealer too.
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote