Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
Chapter 8
The Reflection

Towards the end of any journey, time is needed to stop and reflect about what has happened. Every journey should change a person, spiritually perhaps, or even possibly appreciatively as to what they have learned.

A journey does not need to months long, span continents, or even cross the country. A journey is travel, and travelers are part of the story, and they're the ones who reflect and tell the tales of the experience of the journey.

Reflection is a look into one's own soul and finding meaning in the experience. Some of these experiences are personal, some are shared. Today, I just happened to share it all with my wife.

Which leads us to relationships and the bonds that form relationships. The bonds of where you've been together and where you are going. Today we experienced those bonds, but they were bonds from other people, in other times, in other places and those experiences have influenced us, in some small way. Today was a lesson on appreciation. Appreciation of the past and of the present, of what was and what is. Of what used to be and who they were. Of now and the present, in this place, this locale, this section of North Florida.

Leaving Falling Creek we spied a small cemetery across the way. Once again a chance to meet people who were here long before, and who have since left, yet they continue to influence those around them.

Rivers Cemetery was not on the route sheet. Once again, spontaneity and observation provide the opportunity t meet the pioneers of the state in which we live. The bloodlines are still present in this area. It must be pride to know that you are descended from the first settlers, and that your name carries history with it.

AdventureGirl pays her respects.

Just up the road a tick, tucked behind some pines lies another jewel. Once again, not formally on the route, yet still available to those who look. Clues to this church were given in the information sign back in Falling Creek park.

The history of the church.

A church this old, carefully taken care of. No defacing, evidence of disrespectful actions. Just peaceful solace tucked in the pines....

Please notice the twin doors. It was customary in the day that men entered through one, and women entered through the other.

AdventureGirl tries the door knob and opens the door. Living part of history, entering where other women have entered so long ago.

The church is open to the public. And yet, while sitting peacefully in the pines, not one sign of of graffiti, name carving, or disrespect is evident anywhere on the structure or the land that surrounds it.

If you are curious, you can still attend services in this church. A living piece of history. A link to the past, a shared activity with those who came before.

Some of the folks who have gone before who rest here on the church grounds....

The stories that each one could tell, from wash boards and chores, to fighting the Yanks to preserve a way of life, to being of a different race and culture, yet married into a new one. The stories of their lives, their day to day activities. What could they have been? Rabbit or deer in the pot on the fire, perhaps eating jerky and hardtack on the long march to Antietam. Perhaps stories of scorn and ridicule for not being the "same" as the other in this small town so long ago. What were their lives like? We can only sit back and wonder.

Another dirt road and we are soon back at our hotel. The day was full of sights, sounds, smells, and adventure. History came alive through architecture, dirt paths, and cemeteries of those who were here long before the interstate came came through.

A total of the miles we've covered today. From smooth pavement to dirt roads. Broken asphalt to sand.. Gravel to a a full-on race track. We covered it all, just the way it should be.

My buddy Bert says "Adventure is where you find it."

I find that a true statement. If you are in the right frame of mind, open to the possibilities, and aware of your surroundings, you can find adventure. It doesn't jump out at you. There are no flashing neon signs, nor are there billboards pointing the way.

Adventure is a state of mind.

It's also a metaphor for life itself. Life is about the journey, the activities we do, the places we visit, the times we spend in reflection of our lives.

For some, today was viewed as just a ride.

For me, it was another page written in the book of my life.

And what a book it will be when it's finished.

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,601
Old 04-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #18
advcracker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Great report Swampy!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,359
A great report and narration with lots of soul. Love it. I got to know just a touch of North Florida around Jay during my oil field days on land rigs in the area. Would be interesting to return to this part of the country.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
DRIVER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
You know ... I was hoping it wouldn't look as if I missed a great ride since I had to work that weekend. But again I missed out. Dang it. Next time for sure !!!

Great pictures - thanks.

BMW F800GS
Suzuki DRZ400
DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
Thanks guys.

It was a great ride through a new area for us.

Glad ya'll appreciate what I seek in a ride...

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Dang man, just found this old thread, how insightful! Great read, it kinda had me mesmerized for a while! Can't wait to get down to Florida here in a few weeks! Can't wait to explore some old back roads myself...