Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #6721
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,567
Not much happening here!!! The weather is cooling for the weekend, so planning on hitting the swap meets, looking for old bike stuff.
Until then, going to the pool!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #6722
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Not much happening here!!! The weather is cooling for the weekend, so planning on hitting the swap meets, looking for old bike stuff.
Getting pretty cool there BackRoader...might have to move further south slowly warming up here, zero forcasted for the weekend!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #6723
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Looks like I picked a great week to visit the area! Where is global warming when you need it??
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #6724
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Yeah Mazunte ! That's right. Next door to Zipolite . Cancun might be too commercial and expensive for us. We only got 30 days of Mexico bike insurance , so we are not sure if we should get more, or cross the border into Guatemala for a while. I thought 30 days woulda been lots but......

Backroader: looks like you escaped the worst coldest part of winter. (As we did also)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #6725
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Still a month till I'll be riding in Arizona. Hopefully it warms up a lot.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #6726
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Gord you should be in good shape. Bent Forks knows the Arizona weather and can probably comment on what to expect.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #6727
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Gord you should be in good shape. Bent Forks knows the Arizona weather and can probably comment on what to expect.
Monday night I'll be in Sedona. I shall probably freeze my ass off. Going to spend Tuesday seeing Sedona, than back to S Dale Tuesday night. I was hoping to hear back from AZRIDE, but I guess I'm going to be on the H-D. Oh well, the cheap pricks charged me $45 for a ride back to my hotel last year after spending 10% of the value of their clapped out GS for the rental. I'm two weeks too early, but it's still "hot" compared to Kenora!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #6728
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Monday night I'll be in Sedona. I shall probably freeze my ass off. Going to spend Tuesday seeing Sedona, than back to S Dale Tuesday night!
Try and ride up to Jerome if you have time as well
Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #6729
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Try and ride up to Jerome if you have time as well
Good plan. Jerome on Tuesday, then back to Scottsdale.

Is it the ride, or the destination than is the highlight?
Lyle
Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #6730
Hektoglider
One with Life

It's a cool old mining town on the side of a hill. It's trying to make it on tourism now so there is mix of cafes etc with the old buildings. The ride up is worth the trip if you don't even stop and shut the motor off.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #6731
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 981
Its been a couple of years for me, but Jerome was trying to reform itself as a bit of a tourist spot with shops, restaurants etc. with the old west mining town feel. I like The Asylum for lunch when we were there, great view from the patio, if its not too cool there at this time of year.

If you are coming up from Cottonwood, be sure to keep going up past Jerome till at least peak elevation, some crazy good road and nice look outs up there(too bad I was on 4 wheels)

Not Harley friendly, but if you can find a way to get up Schnebly Hill rd. while in Sedona it offers a wild ride and some of the best views.

One last one since your in Scottsdale, again not harley friendly, but if you can get on the Apache trail between Apache Junction and Roosevelt Dam its a wild road if you havent done it yet, slow mo. roller coaster stuff.

Yes I want to go back, Have fun, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #6732
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 808
Nofar Rally

So is it too early to talk about plans for this years Nofar Rally? If it's on will it be over the May long again?

Holiday booking time is approaching and I don't want to miss out on the ride.

I think some (BackRoader) are planning on continuing on to the EOAR but I don't know if I can make that one.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #6733
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
So is it too early to talk about plans for this years Nofar Rally? If it's on will it be over the May long again?

Holiday booking time is approaching and I don't want to miss out on the ride.

I think some (BackRoader) are planning on continuing on to the EOAR but I don't know if I can make that one.
Search back in the thread a bit. I posted some info for may long weekend.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #6734
BackRoader
Heading There Next

I am in for the Ice Breaker in Wawa and EOAR this year as well. Also going to do Areostich in August and the Black Hills in September.

Who is going to the EOAR from the Peg/Northern Ont. ? I am planning on booking a room at Elmherst soon as they fill up quickly and tenting is limited, I recall only 40 allowed.

Mrs Backroader and I are going to Areostich, will be camping on the Hill, then probably heading back to the Peg, via Thunder Bay.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #6735
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
to let you ADVer's that are wussing out in Arizona, what your missing I know what I'm missing

Ride today, ditch banging up to a pit for a ride. More snow in the pits than I thought, so it was a decent ride!

I was so inspired by Lappeman's snowmobiling videos that I decided to buy my very first sled. It's been a while, so I was relieved to be able to push to get it started rather than pulling a cord. The sliders were in good shape. And I noticed the track was in good condition too. I took it for a ride in behind Centennial Park and on my first run I got it up to a little over 33 mph (GPS). In spite of the slow speed, I ended up losing control on some bumps and was heading for some trees so I had to bail (see the first video). Fortunately, the snow was deep and I wasn't injured. I clearly need more experience piloting this thing. I also noticed that I didn't have much traction on the uphills where I found myself lugging it. Some cleats would be nice. The uphills were tiring. It pulls really well though. Really light-weight. The high speed handling is pretty scary. It accelerates well too once you get going - but is a bit slow on take off. On my second run I made a few modfications, and low and behold I reached about 98 mph (GPS) - although I must admit it was on a bit of a downhill slope and the GPS suddenly spiked so it may have been an error in the reading. I captured the videos (including GPS overlay) for everyone to see below. Select the 1080P HD option and click on the full screen option for best viewing.

First run. Crash and Burn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYc8uxBYto

Second run. Out of control and almost 98 mph (GPS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaTUqH76A8

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 01:32 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote