ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #76
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat View Post
I picked up a car that runs 50mpg, I'll head west next month if you pm me a date.
How about coming on 21st Feb (Thursday) in the evening. Its MOTORBeurs Utrecht that weekend and I am taking 22nd off to go to the show. You can stay at my place for a couple nights if you want to....plenty of room.
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #77
beat
Double Dutchie
 
beat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: appel town, the lowlands
Oddometer: 88
Sounds like a plan. I'll put it in my agenda.
I wanted to go too Utrecht anyway
__________________
2012 summer holiday
beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #78
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Such a small world - stayed at the Sarayshik hotel also get place in Almaty's summer heat and we Aleksey also, I just can remember where, Bikefest on Lake Baikal I think, but it may have been Barnaul. Looks you came through not long after we did (before Vikkor broke his arm).


Great RR - I wish I had of done some of the side trips you did.
Are you still on the road? Do you have your own report running ?
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #79
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
Are you still on the road? Do you have your own report running ?
Yep in Mexico at the moment. I am a bit lazy with the RR, I need to go back to Aus for a couple and plan update it then.
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #80
Bli55
-
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Казань
Oddometer: 343
mikecbrxx, trip!

Also, sorry to hear about the mishap of the sprocket-tank meeting...

Was it 47 teeth? What caused such severe bottoming (i see hyperpro at the back)? Is your X-tank of the newer design with the recessed base above the sprocket?

I could go on forever, please - more details, and pics!
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #81
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Corral de Tierra CA, Ketchum ID
Oddometer: 2,465
Thanks for posting the trip and pictures.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #82
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,722
Thanks for posting, I have really enjoyed your report. I have a question regarding your Britania Comp headlight. I have read a few reports over turbulence/ buffeting/ wind noise creared by it and I thought your opinion would be valuable as you have done some miles with it.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #83
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Thanks for posting, I have really enjoyed your report. I have a question regarding your Britania Comp headlight. I have read a few reports over turbulence/ buffeting/ wind noise creared by it and I thought your opinion would be valuable as you have done some miles with it.
Cheers Phil
Hi Phil

When I first fitted the unit I did get some buffeting at speeds 120+kph. However, that was in fairly strong winds anyway. We have changed the geometry on my bike so it suits me and now, unless the weather is bad or there are other contributing factors, I haven't noticed any buffering at all. However, I don't usually travel over 140kph....and then only to get to the good riding places

As for noise....get better earplugs or turn the music up
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #84
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
mikecbrxx, trip!

Also, sorry to hear about the mishap of the sprocket-tank meeting...

Was it 47 teeth? What caused such severe bottoming (i see hyperpro at the back)? Is your X-tank of the newer design with the recessed base above the sprocket?

I could go on forever, please - more details, and pics!

I'll try and post some more pics when I have time.....real busy at work atm. You can see loads more pics here in my Picassa album.

But to answer your questions, yes it was a 47 tooth sprocket and I did have a recess above the sprocket. (chain guard removed). Having said that, I had an early recess model. Several people had a problem and it has been re-designed to give more room. Erik repaired my X-Tank to the new spec.

As for what caused it.....go ride the 'main' road between Aktobe and Atyrau in Kazakhstan....try and stay on the road rather than take the side track, and ride fast enough to do the 650kms in a day. It would be easier to ride across a bombing range.
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #85
Twinmike
Grandpa
 
Twinmike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 117
gpx track

Hi mikecbrxx

very helpful RR for me,
thank you for the gpx file and the pois, im also planning a trip to mongolia and sibiria 2014 or 2015
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #86
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
Hi Phil

When I first fitted the unit I did get some buffeting at speeds 120+kph. However, that was in fairly strong winds anyway. We have changed the geometry on my bike so it suits me and now, unless the weather is bad or there are other contributing factors, I haven't noticed any buffering at all. However, I don't usually travel over 140kph....and then only to get to the good riding places

As for noise....get better earplugs or turn the music up
Thanks for your reply. After playing around with various screens on different bikes over the years I have gotten a bit anal over windscreen created noise and buffeting. Even with earplugs in you can still hear a lot of the noise created by them (ever ridden a 990KTM, they are bad ) and currently have the stock headlight on my DR650, figured a screen vwasnt necessary on the TAT as it was mainly off road. But on the highway you get a lot of wind in the chest, which is tiring. The Brittania Composites unit looks cool and gives options for instuments to be mounted where they are easier to be seen and probably better headlights.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #87
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Thanks for your reply. After playing around with various screens on different bikes over the years I have gotten a bit anal over windscreen created noise and buffeting. Even with earplugs in you can still hear a lot of the noise created by them (ever ridden a 990KTM, they are bad ) and currently have the stock headlight on my DR650, figured a screen wasn't necessary on the TAT as it was mainly off road. But on the highway you get a lot of wind in the chest, which is tiring. The Britannia Composites unit looks cool and gives options for instruments to be mounted where they are easier to be seen and probably better headlights.
Cheers Phil
The headlights are certainly better. However, take the HID option. I didn't.... but have since changed. I say that more due to the reduced power consumption rather than significantly better lighting. The 35w HID (6000k) is about the same as the 65w halogens IMHO and a better color.

As you will be aware, the units in the Lynx are 90mm standard fitting so.... can be changed easily. I am now looking closely at LED's, though am disappointed at what is available right now. The Duo-Lux appears to be the best of what is available....and its expensive.

To compensate, I am considering fitting either a pair of the new, larger, VisionX LED Aux lights or a pair of the triple LED's also from VisionX.

As for noise off the fairing, I rarely ride with earplugs at all....so the noise off the fairing can't be that bad.
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #88
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
Hi mikecbrxx

very helpful RR for me,
thank you for the gpx file and the pois, im also planning a trip to mongolia and sibiria 2014 or 2015
I'm going back in 2014. Preparing an XC for my wife now. Don't think I will go through Mongolia due to time but I want to visit Tuva, the western BAM and old summer road. Unfortunately I am not retired yet (and am self employed) so have to watch the amount of time I take Taking 3 months is just a dream.
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #89
Mara Loochezarny
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mara Loochezarny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: KZ KG UZ TJ
Oddometer: 122
Good trip! Nice photos! and familiar places))
Always have a good trip!
__________________
http://silkoffroad.kz - Motorcycle tours and rent in Central Asia (Kazakhstan,Uzbekistan,Tajikistan,Kyrgyzstan,Turkmenistan,
Mara Loochezarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #90
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Loochezarny View Post
Good trip! Nice photos! and familiar places))
Always have a good trip!
Welcome. Your company hired a bike to one of the original group in Almaty.....a girl. I forget her name. She was going down into the Stan's with her boyfriend.
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014