ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #20506
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
all of the above! well be going by truck till i get off my ass and finish my bike. dog friendly places are a +. I prefer to brin my furry little child with me when I go out if at all possibly. My goal is to make him a "service dog" for my "ptsd" from iraq.
Check your PM.
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #20507
Michhub
Major Medical
 
Michhub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Queen Creek AZ
Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
...We've gotta do a ride to eat on Sunday, OK?? Who's with me?!
I believe Poe's is this coming Sunday...so far weather looks decent...
__________________
Mike
Reinheitsgebot
'07 990ADV '08 530EXCR '04 XR650L
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #20508
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I believe Poe's is this coming Sunday...so far weather looks decent...
Now if I can only remember until Sunday and get up at a decent time.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #20509
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 278
Thumb

Ah, I think I remember some talk of that last week. What time do you guys usually meet up there? I might bring my old lady if it's early enough.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I believe Poe's is this coming Sunday...so far weather looks decent...
__________________
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #20510
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Ah, I think I remember some talk of that last week. What time do you guys usually meet up there? I might bring my old lady if it's early enough.

Thanks
Starts @ 9:30 if I recall. Crowd generally doesn't show up early this time of year..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #20511
higworld
Bring Me Meat!
 
higworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: HIGWORLD.com
Oddometer: 852
Hey Gear Heads

Quick question for ya ... say you were changing spark plugs, and the old plugs were stuck tight. You could assume that (a) they are left handed or (b) monkey-fisted in place. (Don't laugh, I've cranked so hard on wrong-sided bolts they broke off). I'm going with option B here.

Will it hurt anything to spray a little PB Blaster in there to loosen them up? Or is there another suggestion, besides ignoring them? (And yes, I already miss the extended jugs on the boxer engine. Man were they easy to access. LOL!)

Thanks gents.

Now to go clean and oil the K&N that was in there. Then change the oils. Then ... :-)
__________________
Rick Higgins

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #20512
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Quick question for ya ... say you were changing spark plugs, and the old plugs were stuck tight. You could assume that (a) they are left handed or (b) monkey-fisted in place. (Don't laugh, I've cranked so hard on wrong-sided bolts they broke off). I'm going with option B here.

Will it hurt anything to spray a little PB Blaster in there to loosen them up? Or is there another suggestion, besides ignoring them? (And yes, I already miss the extended jugs on the boxer engine. Man were they easy to access. LOL!)

Thanks gents.

Now to go clean and oil the K&N that was in there. Then change the oils. Then ... :-)
If you're talking about the Connie, they are standard thread (lefty loosey; righty tightey) threads.

Sounds like they might be overly tightened, of have enough carbon build-up and keeping them "seized" in place.

You can try the PB Blaster, but have found that Kroil works the best since it is "The oil that creeps."

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #20513
skychs
chuck smith
 
skychs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Glen Allen Va (N. Richmond)
Oddometer: 903
Epic Weekend Adventure

Well.....
The cabin is full and six intrepid adventurers, on overly large bikes are departing Richmond Friday morning in the cold rain. Our goal is to stay warm and dry (wish us luck with that) and ride to the highest point in WV in February (Spruce Knob). That's six bikes, six riders and a cabin heated only by a wood fireplace. By any standards this should be an epic adventure. Throw in our favorite spirits, vittles and fire side stories it should be something to remember.

The manly adventurers are Greg, Bobby, Chuck, Jeff, Guy and Eddy. Thanks guys for making it happen.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #20514
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer
 
MADSTROM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Powhatan, Va
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Well.....
The cabin is full and six intrepid adventurers, on overly large bikes are departing Richmond Friday morning in the cold rain. Our goal is to stay warm and dry (wish us luck with that) and ride to the highest point in WV in February (Spruce Knob). That's six bikes, six riders and a cabin heated only by a wood fireplace. By any standards this should be an epic adventure. Throw in our favorite spirits, vittles and fire side stories it should be something to remember.

The manly adventurers are Greg, Bobby, Chuck, Jeff, Guy and Eddy. Thanks guys for making it happen.
What am I, chopped liver?

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 04:14 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #20515
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
What am I, choppped liver?
It does seem to imply you are either not manly or not an adventurer.

Thanks I needed the laugh. This morning I noticed that all the drains in the house were backed up. Called the plumber, they came out and said the sewer line is blocked by tree roots. This evening got an estimate for a new sewer line. Let's just say it was some $$$.

I'm still waiting to hear what the home warranty will do for me but that doesn't help the lack of usable plumbing at the moment.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #20516
higworld
Bring Me Meat!
 
higworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: HIGWORLD.com
Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
If you're talking about the Connie, they are standard thread (lefty loosey; righty tightey) threads. Sounds like they might be overly tightened, of have enough carbon build-up and keeping them "seized" in place. You can try the PB Blaster, but have found that Kroil works the best since it is "The oil that creeps."
Well, that isn't happening tonight. Guess they need some serious time to soak. Not a one of them is moving. Sigh.

On the plus side, I did manage to remove two thousand fasteners to get to the dash so I could change a light bulb!

Actually, I'm kinda having fun taking things off and on. Good to get to know the old girl. I learned several things so far. One is don't fill up a 7.5 gallon tank to the brim, raise the bike on a lift, and THEN remove the tank. Might have been easier to do that one at sea level. Another is that it's easier to remove things that are in the way (can you say coils) rather than cuss and fight to get small things out of smaller places.

OK, just popped a beer. I'll continue to play tomorrow.
__________________
Rick Higgins

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #20517
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Well, that isn't happening tonight. Guess they need some serious time to soak. Not a one of them is moving. Sigh.

On the plus side, I did manage to remove two thousand fasteners to get to the dash so I could change a light bulb!

Actually, I'm kinda having fun taking things off and on. Good to get to know the old girl. I learned several things so far. One is don't fill up a 7.5 gallon tank to the brim, raise the bike on a lift, and THEN remove the tank. Might have been easier to do that one at sea level. Another is that it's easier to remove things that are in the way (can you say coils) rather than cuss and fight to get small things out of smaller places.

OK, just popped a beer. I'll continue to play tomorrow.
Yup, there is a sequence one must follow when digging in the bowels of these things. From what I hear, the C14 is much worse.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #20518
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Well.....
The cabin is full and six intrepid adventurers...
So that's six intrepid adventurers..... and Mickey. Sounds like a good time.

I'm on call so have to stay close but I'm up for Poe's at least. Also run at the park Sat morning still on.

Been out in the garage mounting up new handlebars.. fat 1 1/18" bars on a powermadd 2" riser. looks good and should make stand-up way more comfortable.

BastardB. this frees up a set of un-bent 7/8 aluminum bars. KX high bend i believe. They're tusk brand cheapies but they're straight and sturdy and better than bent ones. have at em if you want em.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #20519
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dr WhipIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: West End of Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
It does seem to imply you are either not manly or not an adventurer.

Thanks I needed the laugh. This morning I noticed that all the drains in the house were backed up. Called the plumber, they came out and said the sewer line is blocked by tree roots. This evening got an estimate for a new sewer line. Let's just say it was some $$$.

I'm still waiting to hear what the home warranty will do for me but that doesn't help the lack of usable plumbing at the moment.
Did the plumber say it couldn't be rooted? That's relatively cheap. Also, see if you can find out how close to the main sewer line the blockage is. If it's close enough, it's the county's problem and they will jump on it. It happened to me and the blockage was close enough to the main that the county came out and dug up their end of the line, replaced it, and installed a clean-out, no cost to me.
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #20520
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jwray76's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: East End RVA
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Did the plumber say it couldn't be rooted? That's relatively cheap. Also, see if you can find out how close to the main sewer line the blockage is. If it's close enough, it's the county's problem and they will jump on it. It happened to me and the blockage was close enough to the main that the county came out and dug up their end of the line, replaced it, and installed a clean-out, no cost to me.
If it is your responsibility and the plumber let's you know where it is it wont be so bad with a spad shovel in this wet soil. Just dig it up cut out the section of pipe and replace with some PVC and a couple of furnco couplings.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014