Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #76
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
What final drive are you running on it? i have the enduro with 16-42 and it has a sweet spot around 60ish, at this speed there is next to no vibration, going to be putting a 17-42 combo on just to make the sweet spot nearer the 70 mark for longer trips. If you get a chance to come over the water drop me a line.
All I know is the lad that owned it said he dropped a tooth for better off road responce. Not sure where from though. Front or rear? It's an up graded sprocket in the rear though so Possable its that one.

I'm heading for Wales this May bank holiday weekend to take part in the Taffy Dakar. You should register and head down for the few days. Camping beer and "racing" trail riding. ( not officially a race as its public areas but there's a first, second, third etc etc etc.)
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #77
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
It's probably got a tooth or two less on the front Eric, mine had a 14-42 combo on it when i got it, 1st and second felt like i was riding a 50cc, then it went mental.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #78
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
The 690 is the next generation, but don't confuse it with the LC4 engine. The 690 is a different 'beast' altogether!
Umm, I don't think I'm the one who's confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #79
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Ugly Duckling

The 640 Adventure is ugly and buzzie... but is also my second most favorite bike of all time.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #80
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Get a DR,XR,KLR,or XT. Then when you get a 640 you can really appreciate it.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #81
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Bravo!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #82
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Umm, I don't think I'm the one who's confused:

Hmmm... doesn't look like an LC4 - pretty sure the chain drive is on the RIGHT.

JK, but not. Obviously the 690 is still called an LC4 but it's been drastically reworked.

Quote:
Could not have said it better myself.
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #83
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,075
I laugh everytime I read the title of this thread
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #84
Sikorsky
The Man.

Oddometer: 222
Ok, so I'm reviving a 2 year old thread ....... but really, it's only a few months since the last post!

Pricing on these things is pretty tough to nail down.

Going from a high mile beater that needs everything to a 1000 mile stock-as-a-rock minter; what would be acceptable pricing to you guys?
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #85
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
Ok, so I'm reviving a 2 year old thread ....... but really, it's only a few months since the last post!

Going from a high mile beater that needs everything to a 1000 mile stock-as-a-rock minter; what would be acceptable pricing to you guys?
I payed 2700 for mine with 8500 miles. 2000 model with some accessories and some wiring problems. I've put some more into it upgrading the main bearing and taking care of a few other issues that popped up like worn carb parts. I still think I got a pretty good deal.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #86
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post

Prices generally run a bit higher in Canada, for one in good shape look to be forking out between $4000- $5000... Mint ones like your describing have sold for $5000- $6000 and even higher ... When I bought mine new in 2004 the list price for them in Canada was close to $12,000 and in 2007 when our dollar improved they were still selling for close to $11,000...

Low mileage, mint 640s are pretty rare these days, so if you can get it for a fair price I would say to do the deal...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #87
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Prices generally run a bit higher in Canada, for one in good shape look to be forking out between $4000- $5000... Mint ones like your describing have sold for $5000- $6000 and even higher ... When I bought mine new in 2004 the list price for them in Canada was close to $12,000 and in 2007 when our dollar improved they were still selling for close to $11,000...

Low mileage, mint 640s are pretty rare these days, so if you can get it for a fair price I would say to do the deal...
What would you pay for an 07 with under a 1000 km on it?

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #88
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
What would you pay for an 07 with under a 1000 km on it?
That's pretty much a new bike depending on cosmetics... If I didn't already have 2 3/4 640As and was in the market for one I would go to $6500 if it was in good shape... With under 1000km the motor still wouldn't be broken in yet, if I remember right it took several thousand KM before my engine loosened up...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #89
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
That's pretty much a new bike depending on cosmetics... If I didn't already have 2 3/4 640As and was in the market for one I would go to $6500 if it was in good shape... With under 1000km the motor still wouldn't be broken in yet, if I remember right it took several thousand KM before my engine loosened up...
Only seen a couple pics of it so far, but it looks like off the showroom floor. But asking price is pretty steep, almost $9k.. Not sure any 2007 bike is worth that kind of coin.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #90
Sikorsky
The Man.

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Only seen a couple pics of it so far, but it looks like off the showroom floor. But asking price is pretty steep, almost $9k.. Not sure any 2007 bike is worth that kind of coin.
Obviously the same one I'm looking at. Since he has had it for sale for close to two years, I don't see him moving on the price.

$9000 is a bit steep for a bike that has been sitting for 5 years. No warranty, the random chance of a duff engine. Undoubtedly a great find, but I'm pretty sure a high miler can be sourced, the engine/suspension/transmission rebuilt, rims rebuilt, frame powder coated and new plastics popped on for less than that.

Just seeing those words on the screen have mostly talked me out of it.

****EDIT**** I looked at the ad three days ago and he said the price woe never go below $9K; today it says $8750. Still a roll of the dice.

Sikorsky screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 04:43 PM
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote