Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #136
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
So why export a model to the US that won't sell here?
The bitter truth, unfortunately.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #137
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
He told me that his dealer rep informed him that Triumph has a bunch of 1050 engines sitting there and brought the Sport out as a one year run to exhaust those engines with zero plans to bring it Stateside.
Sounds exactly right to me.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #138
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I was at a dealer today, and he said his staff were all excited about the sport model, and wished it would come here, as they think they would sell alot of them. Maybe an indication of a difference in regional preferences? I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Worst case is to buy a different Triumph for the long haul.
(Couldn't help but think that this thread is a good example of the old saying that opinions are like assholes, in that everyone has one)
ssevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #139
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseybella View Post
The Tiger Sport has been unveiled.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...road-pretense/

Good looking bike. I hope they bring them to the US! I loved my Speed Triple but the seating position and lack of ABS made me sell it. If I could get the same engine in a more practical frame, I'd buy one.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #140
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
If I could get the same engine in a more practical frame, I'd buy one.
Exactly. While I love my Speedy, I miss my Tiger, wishing every day I hadn't sold it. I'd much rather have this new Sport for the updated side cases if for no other reason. I like the new headlights also, but that's an easy work around. I put an HID and LED driving lights on my old one and it made the lighting awesome.
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #141
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Good looking bike. I hope they bring them to the US! I loved my Speed Triple but the seating position and lack of ABS made me sell it. If I could get the same engine in a more practical frame, I'd buy one.
If i saw that on the showroom floor id have a hard time walking away. I mean... is this bike sex on wheels or what?! The mutproblemstrada eint got sh*t on this! As far as looks go anyway...
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #142
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Thinking about a Sprint GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
One of the pictures shows the same luggage as the Sprint GT. I dig the fully adjustable suspension. This would have definitely been in the running before I bought my GT.
They did not well here so they are dirt cheap. Do you like yours. I am close to getting one as it seems like the best way to get that motor in a usable package. I have a 1200 Multistrada so the Tiger is not needed. I want a sport touring bike and this seems like a nice package for the money
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #143
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
They did not well here so they are dirt cheap. Do you like yours. I am close to getting one as it seems like the best way to get that motor in a usable package. I have a 1200 Multistrada so the Tiger is not needed. I want a sport touring bike and this seems like a nice package for the money
The GT? It's a great tourer for the MSRP, and at the discounts they are giving away it's a steal. I got mine at a hefty discount. With whats on the market right now I would still go with the GT, even at full MSRP. This new Tiger would be the only bike to change that, but they are really similar bikes, the Tiger Sport wins on adjustable suspension and the trip computer functions look better. Take the bags off and the GT is just a large comfortable sportbike. Put the bags and optional top case on and you can live on the thing. I've always went with the 4 cylinder side of the 2 vs 4 debate, but now that I have a three cylinder it's the best of both. Great wide power curve, but with the RPM's to back it up. 1/4 mile in 10.88, 0-60 in 3.19, and I get over 50 MPG on trips, and mid forties in my commute. And servicing looks super easy. I haven't done anything to it except lifting the gas tank, but once you lift the tank out of the way the top of the engine is right there.
Here's a great write-up on it- http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...bTriumphGT.pdf
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #144
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
The GT? It's a great tourer for the MSRP, and at the discounts they are giving away it's a steal. I got mine at a hefty discount. With whats on the market right now I would still go with the GT, even at full MSRP. This new Tiger would be the only bike to change that, but they are really similar bikes, the Tiger Sport wins on adjustable suspension and the trip computer functions look better. Take the bags off and the GT is just a large comfortable sportbike. Put the bags and optional top case on and you can live on the thing. I've always went with the 4 cylinder side of the 2 vs 4 debate, but now that I have a three cylinder it's the best of both. Great wide power curve, but with the RPM's to back it up. 1/4 mile in 10.88, 0-60 in 3.19, and I get over 50 MPG on trips, and mid forties in my commute. And servicing looks super easy. I haven't done anything to it except lifting the gas tank, but once you lift the tank out of the way the top of the engine is right there.
Here's a great write-up on it- http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...bTriumphGT.pdf
Thanks for that reply. Yes I had read the MCN review and it is very solid. Amazing that it was such a bomb here in the US. I guess the "upright adventure" thing kind of killed the sport/tourer. I get it.. I have a Multistrada and while not the prettiest bike it just rocks in every way. That said.. I have always wanted a more sport position while I am young enough to ride that way and the Sprint GT seems like a great middle ground between a Ninja type and a big BMW K1600 GT. I figured I'll steal a leftover now.. ride it for a year or two and then trade up to a Trophy when I want to do more super long distance riding and I tire of the lean over position. The only real beef I have with the GT is it is a more forward lean than the Concourse or the FJR..
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #145
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
I think poor marketing also hurt the GT's sales. I remember walking past the one I ended up buying at the dealer a few times and just thinking it would be a overpriced FJR type bike, even tho it looked great I just walked right past it. I figured Triumph was just an overpriced under performing euro brand. Then I saw mention of it on this site and did my homework, boy was I wrong. Now I realize if I were to buy another bike of any genre, the Triumph offering would be solidly in my short list.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #146
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Triumph has been doing great things the last 10 years or so. Back in 04 I was preparing to buy my first new bike in quite a few years. The Speed Triple, Multistrada, and Tuono was on the short list. I chose wisely buying the Speed Triple. I've loved and owned Triumphs ever since.

Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
57 Cushman Eagle
IBA #8759
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #147
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
i owned a 1050 s3 in 2006 and it had the nicest motor ever, sadly the transmission was utter crap. Pretty hard not to grind/hard klunk 1,2. The tiger i rode of that vintage had the same thing, but without the motor. It handled beautifully though. They probably upgraded the transmissions since then
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #148
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Triumph has been doing great things the last 10 years or so. Back in 04 I was preparing to buy my first new bike in quite a few years. The Speed Triple, Multistrada, and Tuono was on the short list. I chose wisely buying the Speed Triple. I've loved and owned Triumphs ever since.

Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
57 Cushman Eagle
And its for sale because?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #149
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
And its for sale because?
Because I miss my more comfy sport-tourer. I thought I could get past my arm issues (one work accident and one supermoto wreck precludes me from being able to straighten either arm) that the new, more sporty position 1050 Speed Triple has over the 955 that I loved. I'm headed back to CO this summer and the Speed Triple just ain't the bike for me for that trip.

Also (and to a larger degree in a way) because my eight year old absolutely loved riding in the mountains last Fall on a buddy's ST1300. I want him to enjoy riding as much as I do, and the little back seat on the 1050 S3's doesn't inspire me to put him on the back of it.

So I'm either going to sell the Triumph or best case scenario would be to find an old ST1100 for *cheap* and use that for my much loved big trips and ride the Triumph all over the Southeast.
IBA #8759
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #150
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Because I miss my more comfy sport-tourer. I thought I could get past my arm issues (one work accident and one supermoto wreck precludes me from being able to straighten either arm) that the new, more sporty position 1050 Speed Triple has over the 955 that I loved. I'm headed back to CO this summer and the Speed Triple just ain't the bike for me for that trip.

Also (and to a larger degree in a way) because my eight year old absolutely loved riding in the mountains last Fall on a buddy's ST1300. I want him to enjoy riding as much as I do, and the little back seat on the 1050 S3's doesn't inspire me to put him on the back of it.

So I'm either going to sell the Triumph or best case scenario would be to find an old ST1100 for *cheap* and use that for my much loved big trips and ride the Triumph all over the Southeast.

So your looking for a "sport tourer" .. shy not the Sprint GT?
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote