Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #241
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
http://www.shop.globetrottin.com/pro...&categoryId=33

Is this the rack you are referring to? Where does the aluminum mount attached to the middle cross bar attach?

Aluminum mount? You may be referring to the RotoPax mount...There is a Pax mount to put on the top of this rack. It will soon be on the web site. If you plan to carry much gear & fuel (up to 60 lbs tested), the larger rack is preferred.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #242
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Will the Rotopax plate hold a 2 gallon tank? Your looks like a 1 gallon.
I have carried the 1.75 as well as the 1.0 gal on it. I guess the 2 would fit but haven't tried it.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #243
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Is this the rack you are referring to? Where does the aluminum mount attached to the middle cross bar attach?
Sandwiched in with the seat mount thru-bolt.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #244
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Do you mean the metal wishbone looking thing under the rack? That's included with the rack and is stainless steel (correct me if I'm wrong Jim?). It mounts to the seat lock collar and the other end mounts to the upper rack. there is a small tab that attaches to a muffler attachment bolt but this is mostly for alignment only, there is little/no actual load on this bolt. And then the bottom of the rack meets steel.

The alum subframe on the 08 and later Ktms is super dinky and chincy. On earlier bikes I used to drill holes in the plastics and add straps, but I don't think this will work well on 08 and later bikes. As a result this is the best approach I've seen from anyone. It completely removes the load from the subframe other than from the beefier upper section. Brilliant! Plus it looks good, is still light, and works great!
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #245
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post
Sandwiched in with the seat mount thru-bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Do you mean the metal wishbone looking thing under the rack? That's included with the rack and is stainless steel (correct me if I'm wrong Jim?). It mounts to the seat lock collar and the other end mounts to the upper rack. there is a small tab that attaches to a muffler attachment bolt but this is mostly for alignment only, there is little/no actual load on this bolt. And then the bottom of the rack meets steel.

The alum subframe on the 08 and later Ktms is super dinky and chincy. On earlier bikes I used to drill holes in the plastics and add straps, but I don't think this will work well on 08 and later bikes. As a result this is the best approach I've seen from anyone. It completely removes the load from the subframe other than from the beefier upper section. Brilliant! Plus it looks good, is still light, and works great!
Thanks guys (Jim). I was asking about the steel piece between the rack and seat lock collar. Just didn't know where it went but assumed it was to support the rack in some way. Very nice and definitely looks like the way to go. I would want the larger rack as I have a 2 gallon Rotopax and will be carrying gear.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #246
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
http://www.shop.globetrottin.com/pro...&categoryId=33

Who makes the side bags?....Thinking Giant Loop but didn't see them there....I like the way they mount.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #247
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
Who makes the side bags?....Thinking Giant Loop but didn't see them there....I like the way they mount.
No, not GL. These are proto units from RTE / Globetrottin. Same as the rack. They are a "side loading" dry bag with "daisy chain" straps to hold them in place. These will soon be on the Globetrottin. com site. This is all part of the mini rack system.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #248
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Here's a better pic of the wishbone and some closer pics of the rack...

The wishbone attaches at the durable part of the upper rear subframe...

Jim/Harcus, the man himself..

The lower portion of the rack attaches to the steel main frame at the same spot where the aluminum subframe attaches. I've also bent my rear subframe in a wreck and this rack also protects the sub frame..

The rack works for both '08-11 models and 12/13 500s because they have [nearly??] identical rear sub frames.. For the 08-11 you have to cut a small hole in the plastics for the alignment tab off the rear rack where it meets the rear exhaust mount. For the 11/12 it still had this attachment but no cutting required.
This tab keeps the rack mostly from moving right/left and makes it really stout in the rear..

And again, the best part, its weight.. 5lbs, 4 oz, or 5.25 lbs... I could put a Shorae battery in and my total weight would only go up 2 lbs in the rear...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #249
kjooseppi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Oil cooler

Hi
Is there anybody offering oil cooler yet for 500exc? Or simply oil filter adaptor? Does anyone know if i can use CPW oil cooler intended older (450/530exc) I want increase my oil change interval, for dualsport/ rallying.
Sorry about my english and thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #250
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,280
Did some MX yesterday and yanked my rear rack for the first time since install last May.
With all this rack talk I wanted to show the one I run and how easy it is to remove. Much smaller and less room to carry stuff than the above Trottin one. I only run a tool bag but could put a KLR rack (milk create) or fuel cell if needed - but I respect you guys to go out overnight and need room for gear. This sexy little rack meets my day trip needs perfectly. It's small but very stout. Hovers over the rear plastic and the dirty work is attached to the sub frame.

With and without.

Once removed, the only thing left are 2 holes that look they were made by a beaver . Instructions or installer?

Only thing holding it on are 2 button hex heads - and the channel the rack slides into. All the business is attached to the sub frame out of sight under the plastic.

No rack = empty channel.

Rack http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...n8r9ljl9ggk0t4
Bag http://dirt-bike-gear.com/lfb.html

Colemanfu screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:30 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #251
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,277
Huh,racks................ I put some Wolfman day tripper packs on my 530. No rack,take about 10 minutes to put on,they dont bounce around,hold plenty for a day trip and more stuff can be attached on the top of them.
I never could keep my old GL Coyote pack from coming up and smacking me on jumps. The Wolfman side packs dont seem to move no matter what I do.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #252
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Is this a 500 EXC?

Cole,
Looking at the rack you have mounted on your bike - according to ProMoto - it is for an SX/SF. Like this one much better than the one ProMoto has listed for the 500 EXC.
If this rack can be mounted on a 500 EXC - looks like my pcketbook just got lighter - again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Did some MX yesterday and yanked my rear rack for the first time since install last May.
With all this rack talk I wanted to show the one I run and how easy it is to remove. Much smaller and less room to carry stuff than the above Trottin one. I only run a tool bag but could put a KLR rack (milk create) or fuel cell if needed - but I respect you guys to go out overnight and need room for gear. This sexy little rack meets my day trip needs perfectly. It's small but very stout. Hovers over the rear plastic and the dirty work is attached to the sub frame.

With and without.

SNIP>>>>>
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #253
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,280
Yea, not for the weak in wallet but neither is this bike . I have no idea what a sx/sf is but my origional link is for 12's and newer and much better lookin IMO. Don't know why they are not more clear in the descritpion of what it fits? You can always call to confirm.

Here is the one for older exc's http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=455

Hope this helps some.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #254
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
the XCW and EXC share the same engine the only differences are - sprockets, the EXC has the emmissions stuff, and the EXC- ECU, will need to be reworked if the emissions stuff is removed. the XCW will not as it doesnt have it. , Also in 2012 the EXC had less durable rims and the XCW had the stronger series. form the info I have read though the wheel issue is going to be gone on the 2013's, EXC has all the street legal crap and the XCW does not.

If you read the threads here alot of folks that have pruchased a EXC and would haev been better served and farther ahead $ wise to get he XCW and make it street legal. If there geographc locations were permitting.
How do you find out if you state allows you to register the XCW?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #255
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Subscribing, to learn more about my bike
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote