Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #1621
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
I could use some help getting decent penetration myself. Too bad this thread is all guys.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #1622
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
i can't do that. left is left and right is right. even if nobody else could tell the difference. it's the Monk in me.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #1623
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Gettin' all fancy...

Lids fabbed, 1 1/2" stainless footman loops installed.

Weight of an 18"L x 9"W x 14"H pannier. Hmmm... why so much?

Okay. Now that makes sense. The beefy latches weigh 0.75 lbs each.

...getting loaded onto a big brown truck bound for Ohio...

Whew! I can go to bed now! Good thing it's my Friday. I'm beat!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #1624
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,795
Those look pretty cool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #1625
MXfritz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Looking Forward to them showing up on my doorstep!!!
MXfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #1626
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Those look pretty cool!

Jim
Thanks, Jim! I took your lower design and ran with it.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #1627
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXfritz View Post
Looking Forward to them showing up on my doorstep!!!
You should have them Monday. Thanks for taking a chance and flying Rookie Airlines!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #1628
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
...getting loaded onto a big brown truck bound for Ohio...

Whew! I can go to bed now! Good thing it's my Friday. I'm beat!
you had them powder coated aluminum color?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #1629
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
you had them powder coated aluminum color?
That would be the natural finish...

Coater isn't finished yet with two other sets.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #1630
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Okay, now I decide to "fix" the pannier experiment that didn't go as planned when I tried bending a different way...

I weld the bevels together, and nothing is square because I didn't get a full bend in the brake on the bevels. I tweak the bevels by using the pannier as a trampoline. Here is a demonstration of how strong .080 aluminum really is...and I'm putting 170lbs on the weakest part. Now you can see why I couldn't just hand bend the incomplete bevel bends...

Someone mail me some clothes, please.

...and I had to JUMP up and down to get something remotely resembling square to weld the back/bottom piece.

Now imagine how strong they've become. The bends on these panniers look like a dog's rear end, so I will not sell them as a top shelf product. They were nicer than scrap, so I did decide it was best to finish them off as best as I could. They will be on that unmentionable site starting tomorrow at one penny...

I'm just looking to get my material cost back. They should be a nice upgrade from ammo cans or the like.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #1631
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,035
Quote:

That kinda ticks me off... I wish I could get something that nice looking. Been at it for about a month and I can get some nice looking welds on the thicker stuff but I'm trying to make a gas tank and every now and then I can get some beads to look real nice. 85% of the time they look like REAL dog poo- not that nice pretty stuff you've got there. Thought I had practiced enough to finally do some actual welding on the tank. Grrr....

Thinkin I might need something with a lower amp range and maybe a foot pedal. *sigh*

So is that one continuous weld, or do you have to stop every now and then to let it cool off?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #1632
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,795
This is really enlightening! I knew they would be strong, but I didn't realize how strong. I bet you could easily rest 500 pounds on one of those bags turned upside down with ot without a lid.

Someone is going to be very lucky to get your blems!

Jim

PS I would give you some work clothes, but I doubt 2X would fit in a safe way around all your machinery!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #1633
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
Gettin' all fancy...

Lids fabbed, 1 1/2" stainless footman loops installed.
Looks great. I love the footman loops.

I installed footman loops on my Jesse's and KLR boxes. It's so easy to strap on my tent and sleeping bag.

I used small stainless screws backed with washers and nylok nuts. I put some RTV under each one to weatherproof the boxes. I thought about backing them with some small rectangular aluminum pieces, but the washers are working just fine.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #1634
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
That kinda ticks me off... I wish I could get something that nice looking. Been at it for about a month and I can get some nice looking welds on the thicker stuff but I'm trying to make a gas tank and every now and then I can get some beads to look real nice. 85% of the time they look like REAL dog poo- not that nice pretty stuff you've got there. Thought I had practiced enough to finally do some actual welding on the tank. Grrr....

Thinkin I might need something with a lower amp range and maybe a foot pedal. *sigh*

So is that one continuous weld, or do you have to stop every now and then to let it cool off?
That's one complete pass with no stops. I'm also "freehanding" (not resting either hand on the box for support). I've learned to anchor each elbow into my waist area and pivot my arms from there.

I've been seriously TIGging for about a year now. I was just thinking tonight how quickly one can get good by TIGging every single week. Some pages back someone made mention of getting good enough and then forgetting due to time between projects, and that is spot on. I think I have rapidly improved solely to having the hood time on a day to day or week to week basis. You WILL get good by repetition.

It almost becomes a reflex after a while. What I mean by that is that sometimes my joints arent 100% perfect. One may overlap by as much as an eigth inch or so. But as you go, you learn to burn that edge in and wrap it around with no filler and maintain your bead heading and width. Then, as the joint comes to the part that IS proper, you start introducing filler. When all done, it all looks the same. That's sort of a reflex of knowing what to do after TIGging for so long.

Another thing I've learned is that the bottom will not drop out if you get the pedal control down. So, say you're not manipulating the filler very smoothly and need to stop for a second to get your filler hand acting right, there's no need to stop the weld. You probably want to let up a bit, but the bottom will not fall out of the weld if you modulate the pedal just right. You can sit in that same spot all day maintainig the puddle. Once I learned that little trick, life was good! I didn't feel like I had to roll to keep from falling out.

Just stick with it. It takes determination, but once you get it down, you feel like doing backflips! I still see much room for improvement in my welds, but I'm very happy with where I am right now.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #1635
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,035
Quote:
T
Another thing I've learned is that the bottom will not drop out if you get the pedal control down. So, say you're not manipulating the filler very smoothly and need to stop for a second to get your filler hand acting right, there's no need to stop the weld. You probably want to let up a bit, but the bottom will not fall out of the weld if you modulate the pedal just right. You can sit in that same spot all day maintainig the puddle. Once I learned that little trick, life was good! I didn't feel like I had to roll to keep from falling out.

That settles it. Time to sell my old school welder to help fund the purchase of something with a foot pedal... Anyone in the Idaho area interested in buying an older Century 5 Star set up for TIG?

Also curious- what amp range are you using for that thickness of aluminum?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.

dorkpunch screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 10:20 PM
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote