Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit711 View Post
when I was riding 40,000 miles a year for 13 years.... believe me I was fit ! I was just a skinny little guy... (still am I guess LOL) but there's a lot going on when riding a bike... my hands,especially, were extremely strong to the point that my 6ft2 built like a brickshithouse friend could not pull apart my finger and thumb when I put the tips together LOL
ALSO, of course, riding a bike is fantastic meditation... that is the place when you can set your mind free and think clearly ... OMMMMMM...
wow - that's a ton of miles ! part of the enjoyment is the precision of a good road bike on a twisty backroad.
I may plan a trip to rural Quebec in the future - I hear there are some fantastic cycling routes.
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #17
Brit711
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr650bc View Post
wow - that's a ton of miles ! part of the enjoyment is the precision of a good road bike on a twisty backroad.
I may plan a trip to rural Quebec in the future - I hear there are some fantastic cycling routes.

to be honest, I got back to having a bike under me again after some time of being "single" again lol.... so only the past couple of years,actually thanks to my son that made me realise I no longer had an excuse not to get a bike again, and I havn't YET really managed to get out into "the wild", bringing up 2 kids and work at a white water rafting company (in the summer), however there is a ton of "adventure" motorcycling going on over here ! I watch them pass me as I am driving a bunch of bikini clad girls along the river... and wondering hmm .. "which would I rather be doing?" >
Brit711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit711 View Post
to be honest, I got back to having a bike under me again after some time of being "single" again lol.... so only the past couple of years,actually thanks to my son that made me realise I no longer had an excuse not to get a bike again, and I havn't YET really managed to get out into "the wild", bringing up 2 kids and work at a white water rafting company (in the summer), however there is a ton of "adventure" motorcycling going on over here ! I watch them pass me as I am driving a bunch of bikini clad girls along the river... and wondering hmm .. "which would I rather be doing?" >
teach them to ride and bring them..... for your friends...
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Brit711
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
teach them to ride and bring them..... for your friends...
yup... my son is 15 and already had a couple of bikes just that he has his eyes on mine too ! as to my 17 year old daughter , well she did ride his little xr80 some years back and was pretty good too... however... that may be more of a challenge.
Brit711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Dr650bc,

If you would like, I'll give you a complimentary hour of my time to consult with you about your fitness program and make sure that your efforts are the most effective and efficient use of your time. Perhaps we can save you some gym time that you can then put into riding.

We are both in Vancouver so meeting up shouldn't be difficult . I have owned my fitness/personal training company for 12 years. We work with everyone from 8 to 85 yrs old. I currently have one person that's very active on this forum training with us and I did some consulting with Don Hatton for his most recent run at Dakar.

My philosophy is 'training for the sport of life'. In short, we train to put our bodies in a position to do what we want to do, when we want to do it. Some people train for a certain event, some just want more energy at the end of a long day, and some want to do more pain free miles on a bike.

I hate to see someone give up something they love in order to focus on fitness, especially when the goal of a healthy and fit body is to be able to use it for the things you love.

PM me if I can be of assistance.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
A few years back, my youngest boy took an interest in motocross. I drove him to the club track a couple of evenings a week and to the races on the weekends. He convinced me that if I was already at the track with him that I should be riding too. I had been away from motocross for over 30 years but decided what the heck lets give it a go. I had forgotten how much fun it was. Since then I've been working out 4 times a week at the gym to get into the best shape possible so I can do my very best on the track. Last year at 55 I finished 3rd in class for the season.
Getting back into motocross has inspired me to get into the best shape I've been in over 30 years.
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
DORION
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
A few years back, my youngest boy took an interest in motocross. I drove him to the club track a couple of evenings a week and to the races on the weekends. He convinced me that if I was already at the track with him that I should be riding too. I had been away from motocross for over 30 years but decided what the heck lets give it a go. I had forgotten how much fun it was. Since then I've been working out 4 times a week at the gym to get into the best shape possible so I can do my very best on the track. Last year at 55 I finished 3rd in class for the season.
Getting back into motocross has inspired me to get into the best shape I've been in over 30 years.
AWESOME !!!
DORION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #23
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
Wow - what a great feeling to find something you and your son can both do. I believe my improved fitness will help with the off roading I plan to do this year. At 57, I feel pretty good cycling 46km in under 2 hrs. without keeling over
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
chevmekanik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr650bc View Post
Wow - what a great feeling to find something you and your son can both do. I believe my improved fitness will help with the off roading I plan to do this year. At 57, I feel pretty good cycling 46km in under 2 hrs. without keeling over
Ya but, it is not cycling unless it is OFFROAD!
chevmekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #25
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmekanik View Post
Ya but, it is not cycling unless it is OFFROAD!
I agree but really can't afford to have any more off road tumbles mountain biking. Nothing in BC provides a soft landing spot.
I do enjoy trail riding but steer clear of the knarly downhills. I never did them enough to attain the required skill level
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Fitness and Riding

As an "older" rider I can attest that fitness is key to adventure riding, and , for me, anything more than gravel both takes and requires a decent level.
I found this site very interesting. I immediately did the VO2 max test, and found that I was fit to ride, but could sure use some improvement. Here's the link.

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogsp...-rockport.html
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I'm 51 and work out regularly, just so I can live longer and ride farther and enjoy my hobby for the most time possible. I also firmly believe in the theory that riding (especially in rush hour traffic) keeps me mentally sharp.

Pretty much every hotel I stay at on a road trip has a fitness centre. Although I've seen some flea-bag motel room floors that I would not do push-ups on!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 530
Hopefully some of this will rub off on me. I am badly out of shape, but just can't seem to motivate myself to do anything about it. I get pretty bogged down in work, and I basically just crash when I am done.

Things must change!!!
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
Hopefully some of this will rub off on me. I am badly out of shape, but just can't seem to motivate myself to do anything about it. I get pretty bogged down in work, and I basically just crash when I am done.

Things must change!!!
It's a tough cycle to break but once you do you'll find your energy level vastly improved, you're not wiped at the end of the day now from too much exercise amigo. Take it from an ex 300 pounder now living under 200.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
It's a tough cycle to break but once you do you'll find your energy level vastly improved, you're not wiped at the end of the day now from too much exercise amigo. Take it from an ex 300 pounder now living under 200.
Nice!! I can stand to lose 60 pounds or so. I could use that extra energy as well!

I spend lots of money and time looking for slight power gains and weight reductions here and there on the bike. Losing 60 pounds off the rider would certainly make a difference!
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote