User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Is GS1200 only bike with knock sensor?

Current owner of Tiger XC800 and prepping for trip to Indonesia. The standard fuel octane there is 88 RON. I've been there on an F650 that is supposed to run on 91 RON and it pinged a lot. Some garages in the cities have 91 RON but they are too far apart and can be a pain to find anyway. Countryside is 88 RON all the way (and it is mostly leaded - bad news for catalytic converter).

I've tried to contact Triumph tech support to ask about an engine map for 88 RON and they have not even had the courtesy to acknowledge my request. I also asked the dealer to try their luck with Ttriumph and that has so far gone nowhere.

Based on Triumph's insulting attitude, it's likely the Tiger will not be going and will not have space in my garage for much longer either. Pity, I bought it partly because ECU maps can be changed using free software. I'm not that thrilled with the 'BMW Experience" either and I'd really prefer not to be part of Der Korporation's gravy train again.

A knock sensor is the most elegant solution - no ECU remapping needed. I can't only find reference to it on the GS1200. Could anybody confirm other adv bikes that have it? I'm pretty open minded about what an adv bike might look like.

Thanks for reading...

spacekadet screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 03:37 PM
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

subscribing (oops...)

darn .. always forget to select the subscription option :(
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At the risk of being my own biggest fan, I'm posting another request for info. I've given up on the knock sensor idea. apparently the GS1200 sensor only accommodates fuel in the range 95-98 RON.

Now I'm just after any bike that can be easily reconfigured from normal "Western" fuel to world-travel rubbish fuel. Without paying for the privilege.

It looks like KTM 990 is the only player? I gather it has a connector that changes it from normal to anything down to 80 (US) octane.

I get the feeling the designers of these bikes don't ride them far beyond the local Starbucks