Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
praia jureré, florianopolis, brazil

thursday, february 7, 2013

music is and has always been very important to me. ever since my older brothers and sisters introduced me to reggae and blues in middle school, which led down paths to me collecting all kinds of music from all over the world - probably led me to those other parts of the world. i thought i be listening to a lot of my brazilian collection here: joao gilberto, antonio carlos jobim, sue jorge, and others. but in fact, i've been diving in the deep end of my americana collection: ray price, willie nelson, ray charles, townes van zandt, muddy waters, greg brown, lightnin' hopkins, and so many more. it's a beautiful thing how powerful music becomes when you are far away from home. it's given new life. it's takes your farther forward, farther back, and most importantly - keep you deep in the present moment. the present moment is the only moment any of us will ever have.

praia jureré, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

jorge ben jor, "chove chuva chove sem parar"

funny also how much i miss the hell out of my bosch washer and dryer, which are engineered to the absolute pinnacle of german perfection. as mentioned previously, nothing i've encounter in south america is all that perfect, and there's really no need for it to be. so it's great. but after a month of carefully and dutifully washing my clothes in sinks across the continent, clean perfectly pressed clothes that don't wreak of sweat, mold, nasty beach funk, dirt, exhaust, and general BO are a pretty amazing thing. i took all my clothes to a lavanderia this morning, and they came back cleaner than i ever remember them being before in their lives. too clean, in fact.

the tiger also got a bath today.

2012 triumph tiger 800 xc after first bath, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i did some required man-scaping, went for a run and did my exercises, took my time shaving, went out to stock up on groceries for the week. these are luxuries on an adventure of this scale. and it's important to take a week or so as often as it seems necessary, in order to maintain some normality in life. the little studio room i'm living in is no bigger in total than my the guest bedroom in my condo in portland, but every inch of it is precious, organized, efficient, and appreciated. the tiny little desk is a desk. the wardrobe is full of my neatly pressed clothes. my motorcycle gear is neatly lined up in the corner. toiletries carefully laid out in on the small marble sink top. most of the days in the last months, things are tossed out where they fall, and that is pretty much all you have time for.

good to learn and know all paths in life so that you can always move toward the center.

argentina, chile, uruguay, bolivia, and USA by porkandcorn, on Flickr

friday, february 8, 2013 - first day of carnival

for those of you looking for carnival pictures, you might have better luck with google images than with this blog. florianopolis doesn't really host a traditional carnival like you might have in your heads. the funny thing is that carnival is actually held in these weird stadiums, sambadromes, where there are massive bleachers on either side of a central 'avenue', and the samba processions move through the sambadrome. i always thought carnival was this big celebration out in the streets, which it is at time, but the ones that foreigners see on tv are the ones in the sambadromes. here, it's more big parties at big clubs.

sambadrome, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

it's raining gatos e cães (cats and dogs) here today, so my beach plans are for the moment not happening.

this pousada - pousada jurerémirim - is awesome. the owners of 11 years, manon & david are extremely nice.

pousada jurerémirim, jureré - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

there is a soccer pitch over the fence of the pousada. you can here the games every night. all these guys go play soccer until about midnight, after which i assume they go out or go home. everything happens late here. in one minute of watching and listening from the street, i remember all the bad words i was taught 10 years ago. i don't think there was a syllable uttered during the 10 minutes i watched that wasn't a profanity. it was hilarious and beautiful. the intensity and talent of this random neighborhood game was on par with any of the best soccer i've seen in the states. the pace of play was exciting. and these are just a bunch of dudes getting together to play. this continent is very, very serious about it's soccer/futbol.

i'm feel very much at home here in brazil. it's very comfortable. remembering and using the language is second nature. it's good to be back. i'm remembering why i like this place so much last time i was here.

soccer pitch next to pousada jurerémirim, jureré - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

soccer pitch next to pousada jurerémirim, jureré - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 02:07 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote