ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #20521
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 858
Adventure

Hey Mickey
Sorry about that. I was trying to get that posted in between flights. Make that 7 intrepid adventurers. Wouldn't want it any other way. I just got back to RIC. Lots to do tonight. See you in the morning.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #20522
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey Mickey
Sorry about that. I was trying to get that posted in between flights. Make that 7 intrepid adventurers. Wouldn't want it any other way. I just got back to RIC. Lots to do tonight. See you in the morning.
No problem .

Here's a little inspiration for the ride out tomorrow.

MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #20523
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
You guys have fun and be careful over in WV this weekend.

PS: This is a pic from Canaan Valley last weekend. Not sure how much snow Spruce has but if Canaan is an indication you should see 18"-24".

3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #20524
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Quick question for ya ... say you were changing spark plugs, and the old plugs were stuck tight. You could assume that (a) they are left handed or (b) monkey-fisted in place. (Don't laugh, I've cranked so hard on wrong-sided bolts they broke off). I'm going with option B here.

Will it hurt anything to spray a little PB Blaster in there to loosen them up? Or is there another suggestion, besides ignoring them? (And yes, I already miss the extended jugs on the boxer engine. Man were they easy to access. LOL!)

Thanks gents.

Now to go clean and oil the K&N that was in there. Then change the oils. Then ... :-)
Try starting the bike and letting it get good and hot, that has always worked for me when I get a stuck plug.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #20525
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Epic Adventure

Well, after wrestling with my ATGATT and rain suit for 15 mintes I'm finally ready.Bikes packed and ready to roll.Here's to good friends, good roads and good riding. See you FF's in a few. Cheers!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #20526
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Well, that isn't happening tonight. Guess they need some serious time to soak. Not a one of them is moving. Sigh.

On the plus side, I did manage to remove two thousand fasteners to get to the dash so I could change a light bulb!

Actually, I'm kinda having fun taking things off and on. Good to get to know the old girl. I learned several things so far. One is don't fill up a 7.5 gallon tank to the brim, raise the bike on a lift, and THEN remove the tank. Might have been easier to do that one at sea level. Another is that it's easier to remove things that are in the way (can you say coils) rather than cuss and fight to get small things out of smaller places.

OK, just popped a beer. I'll continue to play tomorrow.
When the plugs/bolts do start moving don't try to bring them straight out. Work them back and forth applying more penetrating lube. Out a bit, spray, back in, out a bit more, spray, back in...A little precaution to help prevent more trouble. I use Deep Creep which is made by Sea Foam. Same formula I think and it sure won't hurt being in the cylinder. It runs into the threads so fast you may see a whirlpool. If the bike will run you may want to see if it is any easier with a warm engine.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #20527
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Well, after wrestling with my ATGATT and rain suit for 15 mintes I'm finally ready.Bikes packed and ready to roll.Here's to good friends, good roads and good riding. See you FF's in a few. Cheers!
I think you guys are in for more adventure than you expect. I wish I was going!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #20528
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
I'm so jealous guys...Morton's said next week if I'm lucky...be safe have fun & toast one for me cause I'll be wishing I was there...enjoy!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #20529
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
When the plugs/bolts do start moving don't try to bring them straight out. Work them back and forth applying more penetrating lube. Out a bit, spray, back in, out a bit more, spray, back in...
Don't know if "real" mechanics are for it or not, have to ask Guy. When a bolt or sparkplug is stuck I try everything. Penetrant+time, heat, tapping and sometimes like you say -alternate tighten a smidge with lefty loose-y. not much just a little bump to the right.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #20530
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
the sewer line is blocked by tree roots. .
Dr. WhipIt is correct. I had the same problem and having it professionally cleaned/augured out actually relieved the problem for a quite a while. Mine didn't back up again for a year after having it cleaned. It was only when it backed up a second time that I called a 'real' plumber who scoped it and determined it was roots. If you get it cleaned out it should work fine until you figure out how you want to proceed.

Definitely call the county and have it looked at also. Henrico county was very helpful when I had a problem and sent crews out to flush the lines and replace the connection to the mainline. Unfortunately the county was only responsible for the short distance from the meter to the curb.
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #20531
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
I'm so jealous guys...Morton's said next week if I'm lucky...be safe have fun & toast one for me cause I'll be wishing I was there...enjoy!
I was jealous last night looking at Mickeys picture. Less so today looking at reality of the actual weather up there. High of 41, rain and snow.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #20532
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
So that's six intrepid adventurers..... and Mickey. Sounds like a good time.

I'm on call so have to stay close but I'm up for Poe's at least. Also run at the park Sat morning still on.

Been out in the garage mounting up new handlebars.. fat 1 1/18" bars on a powermadd 2" riser. looks good and should make stand-up way more comfortable.

BastardB. this frees up a set of un-bent 7/8 aluminum bars. KX high bend i believe. They're tusk brand cheapies but they're straight and sturdy and better than bent ones. have at em if you want em.

Ooooh, lucky! Yeah I'd love to have em. Tried a couple love taps on my bars with a 5lb hammer yesterday and it didn't bend a millimeter. So I actually put a bid on some real cheap ones from ebay last night, but if I get outbid then I'll let ya know. No sense in having 2 sets if there's someone else out there who needs 'em. And I guess I'll see you at Poe's in the morning! I think I'll probably try to go on the early side, maybe 10am because my girl has to work about 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Well.....
The cabin is full and six intrepid adventurers, on overly large bikes are departing Richmond Friday morning in the cold rain. Our goal is to stay warm and dry (wish us luck with that) and ride to the highest point in WV in February (Spruce Knob). That's six bikes, six riders and a cabin heated only by a wood fireplace. By any standards this should be an epic adventure. Throw in our favorite spirits, vittles and fire side stories it should be something to remember.

The manly adventurers are Greg, Bobby, Chuck, Jeff, Guy and Eddy. Thanks guys for making it happen.

I'm jealous, brother. I'm going to find the time to do something like this in spring though. You guys ride safe, and take lots of pictures! Haha... Especially when things get hairy.

I've got a big smile on my face knowing the fun you guys are going to have. Cheers!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #20533
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
No problem .

Here's a little inspiration for the ride out tomorrow.

Please take some photos, those cabins seem like a nice place to take the family in the spring.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #20534
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hae fun and be safe fellas. On one hand I am jealous because I have prior obligations...but down deep I think I like the ide of a much warmer and drier cage ride out west with the fam,
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #20535
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
If it is your responsibility and the plumber let's you know where it is it wont be so bad with a spad shovel in this wet soil. Just dig it up cut out the section of pipe and replace with some PVC and a couple of furnco couplings.
Maybe if it was clay or PVC pipe I was dealing with. I have cast iron sewer pipes. I doubt even after digging things up that I would be able to cut it with a hack saw. At this point I'm waiting to see what the plumber the home warranty company is sending out says.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote