Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #256
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I already did that for some pistons, but still havent found a bike with the same piston as the nx piston.
jan.van.gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #257
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
The overhaul is almost complete. The new grips, mirrors, GPS mount, and poweport need mounted.
There is also a rear rack on order from Europe. It will be painted blue to match the handle bars.

The bike was put outside to heat cycle the newly painted exhaust.

Still required is the front sproket cover that was missing when purchased.

The SV650 rear shock is still in the bike and raised the rear slightly. The bike leans just a bit more when on the side stand but not much. Preload spacers and 20 wt fork oil were added to the forks to boost up the 25 year old springs.

Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #258
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice bike!

There are quite some design (and technical) differences with my NX125 (by 1989 Italy).
Which version is this? JD12/JD09/...?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #259
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

I believe it is JD09? 1988 USA model for sure. Your Italian bodywork is more stylish!

We were the 4th, and now the 6th owners of this bike. 8 years ago we purchased it, broken in three pieces and in multiple boxes, out of a horse trailer resting on a bed of straw and manure, Our youngest daughter helped with the restoration and learned to ride it.

Now it will be my work commuter bike.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #260
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

Great looking bike! I actualy like the USA model styling. However I prefer the front disk brake of the JD12.

I'm missing the skidplate (i dont think it was standard on the Italian version).
Hard to find on the internet... I think I'll have to make one my self.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #261
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

A front disk brake would be nice - a tachometer would be WONDERFUL. Alas it works fine the way it is.

Skid Plate:
When I get into a corner and need an obsolete / hard to find item, I go to ebay and ask everyone that has dimantled parts for sale from the same bike, "I need (what ever part...) would you have one for sale?". Everyone, without fail, will answere the question. One out of 15 will say yes and asks a low price. Everyone Wins!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #262
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Scoot View Post
A front disk brake would be nice - a tachometer would be WONDERFUL. Alas it works fine the way it is.

Skid Plate:
When I get into a corner and need an obsolete / hard to find item, I go to ebay and ask everyone that has dimantled parts for sale from the same bike, "I need (what ever part...) would you have one for sale?". Everyone, without fail, will answere the question. One out of 15 will say yes and asks a low price. Everyone Wins!

This is what you are looking for: NX 150 - Made in Brazil.. it shares almost everthing with your nx 125 except for the cylinder and the rear fender stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL5983DBHTY
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #263
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 360
Well, the NX 150 is a great bike, really good for what it is and has very low fuel consumption, mine did 35Km per litre at 90Km/h of the speedo.. (And my Tornado does around 25Km/l at 100Km/h of the speedo).

The real problems it has is that it is an old bike right now, you can find spares here in Argentina, but not all of them...
Personally, I would buy a XR 200L or XL 200, that have the same engine of the NX 200, more suspension and the most important thing, you can get newer bikes..

Really, the bike was great, it made me really happy, my problem was buying an old bike and thinking that I could just start it and ride.. It needed a lot of work, but at last it was great...
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #264
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
This is what you are looking for: NX 150 - Made in Brazil.. it shares almost everthing with your nx 125 except for the cylinder and the rear fender stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL5983DBHTY
Thanks. I will add the NX150 to my searches.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #265
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

The bike is ready to ride. Starts up and idles great!

The rack arrived from Germany and was painted dark blue to match the handlebars, seat, and fork gators.

Still need the front sprocket cover after searching and searching. It will be a long term quest.

The kick stand sank deep into the packed snow and required a wooden snow shoe to keep the bike upright.

The only mods were the shortened Suzuki SV650 rear shock, an inch of preload fork spring spacers, and that SWEET looking ADV sticker.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #266
Platernian
platernian

Oddometer: 1
Hi.

Hi, very interesting reading this thread and as a newcomer I would like to say hello, and I have just bought me one o they NX125 transcitys here in Spain and although it is ok, I am already thinking it would love me to put a beefier engine in! I have spent all day researching this little thumper and it seems to be a pain fr info/parts. I have found most suppliers but sod all on how to improve the little darling.

Is it the same basically as the XLR 125? can a NX150 barrel and head be simply bolted on? lots of not so sure info about when what I need is: "This is a fact" info.

any genuine and helpful comments on how to add a little to this essentially crackin machine, gratefully appreciated.
Platernian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #267
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

150cc ? I don't think you will notice a lot of difference.

I would go 223 cc:
Model:165FMM
Type: Single-cylinder,four-stroke air-cooled
hand-clutched 250cc
Displacement: 223ml
Compression ratio: 9.1:1
Primary reduction: 3.333
Bore*Stroke: 65.5mm*66.2mm
Max.Power & Rotating Speed:12kw/7500r/min
Max.Net Power & Rotating Speed:11.5kw/7500r/min
Rated Power & Rotating Speed:10.5kw/7500r/min
Max.Torpue & Rotating Speed:16.5N.m/6000r/min
Min.Fuel Consumption:≤354g/kw.h
Ldling Speed:1500r/min
Ignition:CDI
Starter:electric starter/Kick starter
Lubrication: Pressure/splash
Transmission: 5 speed

These are the specs of lifan engine: http://www.lifan.cn/English/Industry...6-df8eca5fb9eb
Quality is good, en they should fit right in!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #268
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

I just bought myself from ebay a skid plate.
But what i'm now missing is the mounting bolts/rubbers etc.

Kan aynone please take some pictures of how it's mounted?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #269
Bronco638 OP
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,638
@Honda Scoot: Your NX is a JD09. That's the only model the US got.

@Jan: You don't want one of the original equipment NX skid plates. They're flimsy, thin sheet metal and are only good for stopping small stones that are thrown off the front tire. You will need to make one yourself.

Have a closer look at Honda Scoot's picture.

The front bolt goes thru the skid plate and into the frame. There are two bolts, at the rear of the plate that also bolt into the frame. I used a piece of aluminum diamond plate to fabricate a skid plate for my old 1986 TLR200 (Reflex) trials bike. The three bolt arrangement was very similar to the the NX's. I bent the plate around a 3 inch or 4 inch piece of pipe and then bent a small tab for the front bolt. I then had a friend weld small pieces to strengthen the bend. From the right side, the bent piece of aluminum looked like a "J" rotated clock-wise 90º (I hope this makes sense). Don't worry about making something that "hugs" the engine case. Just make something that's strong enough to absorb hits from big rocks and tree trunks. If necessary, a skid plate is disposable, your engine case is not.

Here's a nice image of the TLR200's skid plate. You can see it's very similar:

And, a parts fiche image of the way the TLR200 skid plate bolts to the TLR frame (sorry it's so big).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #270
jan.van.gent
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axe-ZhvqXnw&hd=1