Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber View Post
Can air get trapped in the ABS system?

I got a "new" 2007 f650gs about a month ago, and the front brakes felt a bit spongy. Finally got around to bleeding them and I saw some air bubbles leave the system while doing so. I made damn sure I didn't introduce any new air, but after a good flushing the brakes still have that spongy feel. I haven't had the chance to work the ABS yet -- I can hardly get to speed in Atlanta traffic....

Air in the ABS? Will using it free it up? Or do I need to pay a hefty buck for BMW folks to do it right..?

Thanks for the advice,
-Sarah
What I used to do on my 2003 Dakar with ABS was to first bleed brakes normally, then ride the bike in wet grass or another surface where if I got on the brakes it would engage the ABS, then bleed again. Sometimes it would take couple of times to get the brakes firm.

My final solution was to rip that ABS crap completely out of the bike last year. I never liked the ABS on this bike. In my opinion it's more likely to cause a crash than avoid one. Plus it was always a pain to have to stop and hold down the ABS switch for several seconds to turn it off every time I got to a gravel or dirt road. Meanwhile all my buddies would disappear around the next turn and I'd be eating dust. I removed the ABS (which adds somewhere between 5-10 pounds to the bike's already considerable weight) over 10,000 miles ago and can honestly say I've NEVER wished I had it back.

BTW, now bleeding the brakes is an easy 10-minute job.

YRMV.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
weber
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the tip. Made for a nice excuse to have some fun in a gravel lot yesterday... until the security guard came running out...

I haven't done much off-road yet, in part b/c my hazards and ABS switches don't seem to be working -- ABS is permanently on as result. Another thing on the list. It surprising how early the rear comes on. Keeping your ultimate solution in mind...
weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
blitheringidiot
Regurgitated User

Oddometer: 301
Just for reference, I checked with the local dealership and they said it would be about $150 labor (1 1/2 hours) and about $30 for the fluid and "those little diaphragm things you have to replace", whatever that means.

I was going to do it myself (and may still), but this whole 911/software/computer/ABS thing has me concerned. Best suggestion I've heard so far is to yank the ABS entirely, but that prolly won't happen with mine.
blitheringidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
Torsti
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I just changed the fluids on both front and rear brakes with abs. I did as usual, pumped new fluid topping the reservoir and everything seems to be fine. No moditech or whatever it was needed.
Torsti is offline   Reply With Quote