Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
kruzuki
Gear in the Machine

Oddometer: 790
Brake fluid works and looks good for about a day. That's why all the used car lots use it.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmersonwheels View Post
I've been reconditioning bikes for years, worth cockpit silicone is a miracle on any black plastic. Faded signals, instruments, trim etc, maes it literally like new
Wurth? hard to find in BC and some of their products aren't even available in Canada. Mind you I saw a Wurth rep driving in Kelowna last year, couldn't turn around and chase him for ahum.....infos and catalogues.

Yeah I know, all that stuff is online but if available in Courtenay well, our C/O Dustin would hand deliver to me.

I'll go put brake fluid on my test saddlebag, can't be worse than everything else I have done to it and I can still make it look like new with more than a few products or techniques. The brake fluid I put on my XR sure has worked for quite a while. Too bad we did not know about that back then.....I may have been tasked to do that.But would have been DOT3, much stinkier than DOT4. We just used pure silicone in the 70's, must have been even before ArmorAll and all them other consumer potions.

DOT 5 is silicone based....no car lots around here to ask.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
I've been reconditioning bikes for years, worth cockpit silicone is a miracle on any black plastic. Faded signals, instruments, trim etc, maes it literally like new
I see a Wurth NON-silicon (carnuba) Cockpit Care Spray or a Wurth Vinyl and Rubber Care with Silicone. Which is it?

http://www.stableenergies.com/Wurth/products/267/
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid. I did my pink KLR last summer, only to find out that it is actually red. And it's still red.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Heat gun...as previously described you heat a small area keeping the tip moving till the plastic just glasses over. Let it cool for a moment then hit it with terry towel and polishing compound for a quick buff before moving on. This is my KLR after I scubbed it repeatedly. It had been left outside for 12yrs in Az desert sun.

After heat gun treatment....

Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid. I did my pink KLR last summer, only to find out that it is actually red. And it's still red.
There was one of them pink ones for sale not too far. I should have considered it.The pink color may have been a bargaining tool on his too high asking price.

Better drive up to the village they may have DOT5 altough I don't think so, had a hard time last year if just for the DOT4 I needed and wasn't cheap.

$15.00+ at CT the DOT5.....I should really buy a KLR and go get it sunfaded in Mexico. Maybe not a KLR but that's the plan.....thumper and sun.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Hello,

Googled cockpit silicone and they sell it on Alibaba global sales but you have to buy 2,000 minimum.
Hope its good.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #23
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Google search didn't really yield any results for "worth cockpit silicone." Any more info? Is this a trade name or a brand name?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
Google search didn't really yield any results for "worth cockpit silicone." Any more info? Is this a trade name or a brand name?
Wurth.

Apparently some of their products have a nice scent. Hum, wonder what the scent is, I don't like most of them added "scents".

26,500 results under Wurth!

https://www.google.ca/search?source=....1.aID-VIoKZ9w