User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
GFJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Insurance

There will be others on here with a lot more knowledge on this aspect than I, but I am unclear as to why you actually need additional cover for non commercial enterprises, say, if you are a run leader, using your own road legal motorbike, have road insurance etc and are keeping to roads and other public highways, with others in the group doing likewise on their own machines.

There have been cases of late where prosecutions have been brought against groups of road riders where one of their group have had a crash and died as a result, and the CPS have looked at the riding of the whole group to see whether it was dangerous etc, but I'm not sure whether anyone has been convicted in these scenarios.

Any UK legal beagles on here who could give a considered opinion on this? I'm sure the likes of Horizons Unlimited will have looked into it but it would be good to know what the issues and the strict liabilities are.

Until then . . . .
GFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
Zen Overland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Why do you think that a free ride on legal roads needs extra insurance? It's not off-road! Nothing 'official', no 3rd party organisation involved, no profit being made,, no private land being used. Optional fund-raising may happen. Following the bloke in front does not make him liable for your fortunes . Perhaps you'd like to point out the case law that says otherwise?
I'm not saying that it definitely will need insurance, but just that it may be worth considering/investigating.
I am 100% keen on this project, and would love to see it happen and be part of it. I'm just stating some facts, that I've been involved in some bike events, and that organisers were pretty hesitant about the insurance aspect of rides like this.

MEFO tyres - Andy Strapz - Rigid Industries LED - Black Dog Cycle Works - Kriega
Zen Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
Hew
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I would expect a commercial operation to have some type of public liability insurance but blanket personal accident cover ?
It is surely up to each individual to arrange their own vehicle and if they deem it necessary, personal accident cover to safeguard themselves.
If someone was unlucky enough to injure themselves by falling off who would they claim against. They were the person riding the bike and unless it was in collision how could anyone else be to blame.
There's enough bollox in the world without complicating simple trail rides.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #19
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Overland View Post
I'm not saying that it definitely will need insurance, but just that it may be worth considering/investigating.
I am 100% keen on this project, and would love to see it happen and be part of it. I'm just stating some facts, that I've been involved in some bike events, and that organisers were pretty hesitant about the insurance aspect of rides like this.
Well we are saying that there definitely is no need for extra insurance. Unless you have any info *directly* relevant to this context then I suggest you quit scaremongering.
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Well we are saying that there definitely is no need for extra insurance. Unless you have any info *directly* relevant to this context then I suggest you quit scaremongering.
Stop sitting on the fence Gazz.

I also see no reason for additional insurance, it's not a commercial venture, it's a group of mates out for a ride on legal trails on legal bikes. Safety in numbers when trailriding means that incidents are taken care of that much quicker and easier.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
malteser
Tuareg Rallye 2013

Oddometer: 317
What tyres should I use and what pressure should I run?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
TelfordKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by malteser View Post
What tyres should I use and what pressure should I run?
Black round ones with 115 psi should do the trick
TelfordKnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #23
Zen Overland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Lets knock this insurance bickering on the head

Quote:
I say we stop butchering this thread with this bizarre argument about insurance, and get things back on topic.
You are right, I concede. There is almost certainly no need for additional insurance.
Lets get on with making this ride happen.

From re-reading the original post by Mike, the aim of the thread was to see if he could get support from other trail riders in different areas of England and Wales. Also if there were 60+ people up for the ride.

So far since the original post (apart from further posts by Mike) there have been 17 replies.
There has been two offers to help (me being one of them), and four people show interest in riding in the event.
If no one else is willing to help, or interested in riding, then we're getting nowhere fast.

Who is up for this?

MEFO tyres - Andy Strapz - Rigid Industries LED - Black Dog Cycle Works - Kriega
Zen Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Fantastic Mister Fox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I have often thought about a concept of creating national trails for trail riding.

There are many marked on the ordnance survey map for walkers, cyclists and horse riders (diamonds over the marked right of way on an OS) all with different names like south wast coast path etc.

I wonder with councils under more pressure to generate money through tourism whether there would be any scope for actually creating some nationally named trails (i.e. A Cross Britain Trail, I've looked into it and it you may be able to go from Cornwall to Suffolk). I think it would work with encouraging groups of riders to do something like this in the future. However I don't know whether councils would go for it.

Sorry for another thread hijack with my ramblings about something not really on topic. I'm not going to be in the country this year for this project so won't be able to help out but would love this to work and would be interested in helping out in the future.