Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #796
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 233
Good luck with your shit sortin'. Hope all goes well. Thanks for the effort to share here Paul - awesome photos, sense of adventure, attitude, whole deal. Inspiring. Keep on keepin' on!

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #797
rasjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Loving the photos! A few quick questions (mostly photo related) if you don't mind. Do you carry and use a tripod? Do you think it would be a mistake to consistently carry my Canon 60D in a tank bag on a KLR650 (MN to Buenos Aires)? I'm concerned about vibration and theft. Also, would you recommend carrying extra gas? I notice you do this. Thanks!!!
rasjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #798
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasjay View Post
Loving the photos! A few quick questions (mostly photo related) if you don't mind. Do you carry and use a tripod? Do you think it would be a mistake to consistently carry my Canon 60D in a tank bag on a KLR650 (MN to Buenos Aires)? I'm concerned about vibration and theft. Also, would you recommend carrying extra gas? I notice you do this. Thanks!!!
i actually carry two tripods, one of those tiny little ones about 6 inches tall in my tank bag and a big one in my saddlebags, i use them very rarely but when you need it you really need it, depends what kind of photos you are looking for

I have the DSLR in my tank bag, i put a layer of soft rubber in there about 3/4 inch thick then i also put my flip flops in there that way its sitting on about 1 1/2 inches of padding so i haven't had any problems, as for the theft issue, when i get off i take my tank bag and then everything else on the bike is locked, mine turns into a back pack

i do have spare gas cans, 99% or more of the time they are empty, but because i had been south before i knew there were areas that i may need them and as they are hard to find in some countries, so i bolted them on, i would use the rotopax if you have a place to mount them, very good solid design
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #799
rasjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thanks - really helpful info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Safe riding! - Jay
rasjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #800
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 43
Birmingham AL

Hey Paul, hate to hear you are having to detour back home, I've been following for a while, great report. I live on the east side of Birmingham AL, if you are coming thru on your way back you have a free place to stay here. I have a spare bedroom, garage to park your bike and tools, tire changer, etc if you need to do any maintenance. Got plenty of deer meat in the freezer if you give me notice my girlfriend and I will get some deer chili going in the crock pot for dinner. I'll pm you my contact info.

Ride safe and stop in if I'm on your way. Would love to hear some stories and have a toddy with ya.

Ha, I'm thinking I have you mixed up with one of the other guys I'm following on another ride report. What can I say, I have "oldhymers"....your home is in LA right? Oh well, if you ever need an overnight spot in B'ham, the offer stands.
Hope things get squared away quick.
L62

Lucky62 screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:03 AM Reason: brainfart
Lucky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #801
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

^^^^

i have sent you a PM
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #802
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 244
So...

Are you back? Riding through Florida? Or was that you who turned out the lights on the Super Bowl?

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #803
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
Are you back? Riding through Florida? Or was that you who turned out the lights on the Super Bowl?
not guilty on the superbowl thing, i was in Vegas watching the game...riding is on hold now for a year, i have settled in Nevada again to sort things out...next up will be New Zealand once everything is resolved here
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #804
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 709
Excellent!

Paul,

I really enjoyed your photography and commentary. Sorry Cuba didn't work out for you, but you certainly covered a lot of ground on your trip south. My son was just in New Zealand and it looks like an amazing place for a moto adventure.

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #805
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Good thing you didn't go to Cuba this go around, I heard the aduana official was on holiday or something and that all the bikers have to wait a week before all the paperwork can be done That take up some quality bike on island time

Goodluck getting things sorted out, I know how they can be.
Stop by Oklahoma some time
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #806
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Paul,

I really enjoyed your photography and commentary. Sorry Cuba didn't work out for you, but you certainly covered a lot of ground on your trip south. My son was just in New Zealand and it looks like an amazing place for a moto adventure.

All the Best,
looking forward to heading to ride NZ, just got a quote for $700 for shipping the bike from LA, complete no other fees on arrival...

if your son has any places he saw that are definite must sees let me know, i am going to start a compiling a list of places to go and see as it seems it has everything in such a small area, don't want to miss anything, and on researching it seems most of the places ar well off the beaten path, so...as a plus loads of off road riding
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #807
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,340
you still gonna build an RFS bike?..... you would be famous.... .... or at least a little more so.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #808
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Good thing you didn't go to Cuba this go around, I heard the aduana official was on holiday or something and that all the bikers have to wait a week before all the paperwork can be done That take up some quality bike on island time

Goodluck getting things sorted out, I know how they can be.
Stop by Oklahoma some time
i just read the Cuba Stahlratte log, i guess my gut feeling was right about not going...

right now stranded in the middle of Texas with busted trailer bearings...just another kind of adventure
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #809
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Where at in the lovely state of Texas are you?
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #810
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
Where at in the lovely state of Texas are you?
In Sealy hopefully heading west tomorrow after doing a little Macgyvering...