Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #46
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
http://vacations.kijiji.ca/c-Canada-...AdIdZ383363836

Is this typical of what we should be looking at? There is only the 3 of us, a Log Cabin with a log burner would be the ideal thing I guess.
That's typical unless you're close to a large city ( TO or VAN) or resort area like Banff. There are cabins and areas like that all over the country though.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #47
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,515
How are you making out searching for cabins? I forgot to mention my peeve when lakeside. Darn boats.....nothing worse than them or jetskis.

I'd check that out before commiting to renting something on a lake. Lots of lakes have HP limitations or even "no motors"......much quieter. The ones without limitations can be a "free for all" of annoying boats and jetskis.

Much nicer to listen to are the loons, a good small lake should have a pair ,or more if a larger lake.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Much nicer to listen to are the loons, a good small lake should have a pair ,or more if a larger lake.
I couldn't agree more.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #49
toastmuncher OP
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672
Right, 6 weeks on and we have had a couple of travel companies put a few things together which WE CANNOT AFFORD. We are back looking at Easter, last week march, first two april. Thinking of a minivan and a lap around, toronto-niagra-huntsville?-mount tremblent- quebec , as it seems I have a cousin there, just discovered'- montreal- Kingston- back to toronto and fly back. The last agent managed 14 nights but at 4500 for the three of us. I cannot justify that so will now start looking for more reasonable hotels along the route so that we can stretch it out to 21 days, for less dough. 'YEAH RIGHT'.

recomendations for accommodation?
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #50
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
...........recomendations for accommodation?
AirBNB or Hostels?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #51
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

The best deals I always find with hotels in NA are by using expedia or hotwire. But 90% of the time expedia is much better.

We (family of 4) just went to Niagara last weekend for 69 bucks a night. Prices on expedia ranged from 39 bucks and up with various hotel chains.

Probably factor in 100 per night for budget, even thought 60-80 are very likely for your average motel/hotel. Also use the same search for cars. Car and hotels would probably be in the 1800 range.

These #s are Canadian btw.

Good luck.

Edit... once you get the car rental and the first hotel. Book the next nights hotel using the wifi from the hotel for the city/town you expext to be in next. You won't need to make long term reservations.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
toastmuncher OP

Firstly, I appreciate your input so far and Im sorry for cluttering ADV with my vacation stuff.
Right, we are coming in August, 21st for 14days or so. WIll update when we have more solid plans but any input given the change of dates/season.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #53
toastmuncher OP

Flights now booked..............

into toronto on 21/08/13 back on 07/08/13 from toronto, weve had to abandon the Camper RV thing due to cost, crappy little hire car then, hoping to maybe get a train around to Hamilton? and back staying there for a night or two, see Niagra? and two week breaks in between somehow in lakeside cabins, 1 week in a 'reasonably priced one, and 1 week in a 'entertaining for children' themed place which will no doubt be more expensive. Open to suggestions guys, both will need to be within a days drive, with an 8 year old, from Toronto.
I hope to get us out on the water, keen canoeist, and stock up on motorcycle clothing hearing that it is much cheaper there if anyone has any recommendations for a store near toronto or Kingston?

On a budget but if anyone knows of any MUST sees around this area, we are all ears.

Thank you all.

toastmuncher screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 04:24 AM
Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #54
kirbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I know I'll take some flak from Hamiltonians, but there's not a whole lot to do there for your kids, unless you want to do some hiking. There are a lot of nice waterfalls to see. Niagara Falls and area might provide more to do for your kids. There are a couple water parks, Jet Boats, Maid of the Mist, etc..and Marineland, although Canada's Wonderland in Toronto is a way better theme park. Sherkston Beach for a day would be fun. If you like canoeing, a two/three hour drive from Toronto or Kingston will get you to lake country....Huntsville, Haliburton, Bancroft......
01 KTM 200 MXC
kirbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #55
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbike View Post
I know I'll take some flak from Hamiltonians, but there's not a whole lot to do there for your kids, unless you want to do some hiking. There are a lot of nice waterfalls to see. Niagara Falls and area might provide more to do for your kids. There are a couple water parks, Jet Boats, Maid of the Mist, etc..and Marineland, although Canada's Wonderland in Toronto is a way better theme park. Sherkston Beach for a day would be fun. If you like canoeing, a two/three hour drive from Toronto or Kingston will get you to lake country....Huntsville, Haliburton, Bancroft......
This is good info and I'll try to add. There are campgrounds around the Niagara Falls area that offer free shuttle to Marine Land (which is great for kids). Canada's Wonderland, while is a fantastic park, is a lot for an 8 yr old. I was just there last week for my 1st time, with a 6 and 11 yr old, we were there from 9am to 6pm and there were probably twenty rides that we didn't make it too and it wasn't busy. Had a great time though and will get seasons passes next year.

You mentioned dates of 21/08/13 back on 07/08/13..... which doesn't add up.

For canoeing I'd recommend North of Toronto as well, into the Bracebridge/Huntsville area. Some of the prettiest lakes/rivers and million dollar cottages on the planet. Canoe rental companies up there are in the hundreds.

Once you start to finalize plans, I live an hr north of Toronto near Barrie, if you're up this way and need anything, keep in touch. We may be camping in the Huntsville area during the first week in august.

keep the questions coming.. good luck

Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #56
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Just another thought....killing a couple birds with one stone. Santa's Village (although I've never been) is an award winning campground/kids theme park in Bracebridge with a beach and quick river access to the Muskoka Lakes. This gets your camping, theme park, canoeing/kayaking, and beautiful Canadian cottage country all checked off in 2-3 days without getting behind the wheel.
A lot of campgrounds around Ontario will also offer Yurts and/or camping cabins on site, this will keep the camping costs down by not having to rent a RV and such.

Here's a link to the park....http://santasvillage.ca/

Canadian's don't consider ourselves having good prices on riding gear compared to our buds to the South. So I can't help much there. I find the flea market here on ADV to be the best of anything.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #57
toastmuncher OP

Thanks for the input, Well be flying out 21 AUGUST and back on the 7TH AUGUST, sorry for my euro date format. Canoeing in Canada sounds great to me, I get mine wet in the wye valley, where I live.
Will definately look at the themepark in Toronto, thanks for that.
We are very animal friendly, like to see a BEAR out there?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
kirbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Forgot about Santas Village....that would be a good time. If I wasn't heading out on my own adventure during that time I would gladly show you around Niagara. If you do decide to go to Marineland make sure you wave to my Daughter.

01 KTM 200 MXC

kirbike screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 05:55 PM
kirbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #59
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
If you're planning a few (2 or so would be plenty) days in Toronto with kids and it happens to be raining or you want to see a few of the major attractions (including the Zoo - which has a great Canada pavilion including bears) you could look into this: http://www.citypass.com/toronto

If you do want to spend some time in Toronto I would suggest ditching the car and grabbing a TTC Family Day pass.
http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/P...Pass/index.jsp
You can see a lot of Toronto from the TTC , there are a few great areas like Kensington market http://www.kensington-market.ca/Default.asp?id=1&l=1, Yonge Street, Queen Street West... and a few others.

Niagara Falls can be decent for a day or half day trip form Toronto, although I kinda find that the area can be a bit of a tourist trap... Close by is Niagara on the Lake, a lovely little town, with lots of wineries and good dining and some decent hotels / BnB's, some have some kid friendly activities. http://www.notl.org/

The Muskoka area is a popular area for cottaging - http://www.huntsville.ca/en/ about 2.5-3 hours from Toronto

If you're into camping and canoing or even renting a cabin the Algonquin Provincial park is a great place to do that - http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/ its a huge park with a great range of activities and very well serviced.

Here is a link for the Algonquin cabins -
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit...ngercabins.php

If you go a bit further North there are areas like Parry Sound (3.5ish hours from Toronto) - there are some beautiful areas there as well and potential for cottage rentals and outdoor activities. http://www.townofparrysound.com/

If you're looking for some more interesting routes to get to where you are going in Ontario I use this map all the time - its great for finding some lovely drives and scenery (keeps you away from strip malls and traffic I find too)
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/ontario_bikeroads.jpg Print off a copy or blow up the areas you think you're going to be.

If you're on your way to Kingston from Toronto and you're taking the 401 highway, you can stop in Whitby for some bike gear there are two fairly decent shops GP bikes http://gpbikes.com/ and Royal Distributing http://www.royaldistributing.com/... both very close to exits and to each other.

There's lots more... Have fun!

CSF screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 07:04 PM
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #60
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,062
For riding gear, he's right about going to Whitby, best selection will be from both stores there, and they're on the same block.