Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #616
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
you can buy an inverter off amazon for less than $50 , about the size of a good sized wallet. plug it into a cigarette lighter socket and charge all you electronics at once while riding with their ac cords. or overnight, plug in you light power requirements like cell phone. so camped in the woods, you can still charge electrics.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #617
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,660
Your local Wallyworld has a Shumaker for 19.99 140watts continuos-280w peak.
Here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...Specifications

Or a T/A (or other) Truckstop will stock them too!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #618
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,043
I don't mind charging while riding, but draining the battery while camping just seems like a bad idea!
I realy love the whole solar power setup!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #619
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I don't mind charging while riding, but draining the battery while camping just seems like a bad idea!
I realy love the whole solar power setup!
I'm with you there. It's not even like it takes up much space, and sometimes I camp for days at a time. I'd rather not have a flat battery. It's kind of like a water filter. If you're going to be near towns all the time, it's not necessary, but if you're not, it's very nice to have.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #620
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Cool2 New follower

Have been following your report here and on the blog. Really enjoying it. As in improving massively a windscreen, turning it into a functional work of art. Cool stuff. Noticed a buddha sitting on the handlebar, is it glued on? I also admire the way you've dissected the engine and put back together. Top surgery and nicely documented.

All in all very appreciative of your approach, ie the casual roaming, the many pictures. It is my preferred way too.
You might like to know I live near a place called Nederland. It has a population of app. 16 million.

Some time ago I got interested in solar charging electronics. Investigating the matter cooled down my enthousiasm rapidly. Promising technology but not yet, unless investing in very expensive equipment and uninterrupted direct sunshine. Now you rekindled my interest. As far as the bounds of this thread allow could you elaborate a bit? I would like to know from an actual user whether the more basic, affordable equipment, has become useful in not perfect (as in not perfect sunshine) conditions.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #621
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am pooped! Haha, can I write that?
Anyway, had a long day working on Spirit replacing both drive and rear wheel sprocket.
Of course I ran into quite a few glitches, it's turning out to be normal
I had forgotten that I didn't have the socket for my drive wheel nut, so I had my mother in law drive me to AutoZone to get one. Luckily, even though my adjustable wrench said it would be a 26mm socket, I decided to buy a 27mm one too, because I couldn't help but think that I used a 27mm one at Steven's. Sure enough, it needed a 27mm.
Also got very lucky in that my in-laws happened to have a metal tube lying around that I was able to use as leverage to take the nut off.
Then I couldn't get the nuts off the rear sprocket, with my 1/4 inch wrench and couldn't use my 3/8 because I didn't have the adapter for the socket.
Back to the store to buy a 12mm socket for a 3/8 wrench and an adapter.
Another reason to go back to the store was that the drive sprocket was not the right one. It was meant for an older KLR, and was way to thin. To make up for the thickness I bought a thick large washer. I think I got it pretty near the normal size.
While we were out again we stopped by a sporting goods store to check on rain gear, I had no desire to ever get soaking wet again! Again I was lucky in that the gear that I liked was not only on sale, but very thin and compact as well. A very light beige color that should be very visible. Got some reflective tape too that I'll stick on the arms for better visibility.

As you noticed, no pics! I decided that there were way to many pics on my RR of Spirit being partially or whole decommissioned.

One thing I did find out unfortunately, is that there are no camping places in or near Pharr TX, at least not for a tent. I am going to have to figure that out somehow............
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #622
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Some time ago I got interested in solar charging electronics. Investigating the matter cooled down my enthousiasm rapidly. Promising technology but not yet, unless investing in very expensive equipment and uninterrupted direct sunshine. Now you rekindled my interest. As far as the bounds of this thread allow could you elaborate a bit? I would like to know from an actual user whether the more basic, affordable equipment, has become useful in not perfect (as in not perfect sunshine) conditions.
I will let you know as soon as I have my own gear. I did meet a couple, Benny and Jennifer, who had been using it for years, and they loved it!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #623
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Hi Nomadgirl!
I just love following your problem solving! I think it's good when you describe what and how you do things. The pictures and explanations help less experianced people do the same things on their bikes. Some people would never attempt the projects you have tackled. With a few pictures and explanations from people like you who are not afraid to try, it makes things easier.
Keep up the good work!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #624
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
well you could always stealth camp he he he he
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #625
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi Nomadgirl!
I just love following your problem solving! I think it's good when you describe what and how you do things. The pictures and explanations help less experianced people do the same things on their bikes. Some people would never attempt the projects you have tackled. With a few pictures and explanations from people like you who are not afraid to try, it makes things easier.
Keep up the good work!
Regards....just jeff
I second that.
It is really part of the charm of the report.

Nomadgirl
Sure you can say pooped. It is what motorcycles do to all of us once they crave for some affectionate attention.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #626
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Beware of hardware store raingear. The thin stuff doesn't really hold up well in a 60mph wind....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #627
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Beware of hardware store raingear. The thin stuff doesn't really hold up well in a 60mph wind....
Didn't get it at a hardware store but at an Academy sporting goods store.
It was on sale and I think it's really good quality. Brand name says Coastal Conservation, and it's really marine gear.
I think it should be sufficient, but will find out on Monday when I leave for Pharr
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #628
NomadGal OP
Esther

Finally found a campground that will accept tents! Yay!
Not only is it 10 minutes from the Pharr Costco, but they are giving me a break for camping out there 12 days, $144.
It's got showers and electricity, and I won't have to worry if my gear is still there when I get off work at 8PM.
I only hope it's not too noisy!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #629
NomadGal OP
Esther

Take it from me, the longer you stay somewhere, be it camping or just staying at a friend's or relative, the longer it takes you to pack up your bike! Holy cow! It took me forever to finally hit the road again this morning.
The weather really wasn't looking too good, and the rain came down in huge spats occasionally, but by the time Spirit was all packed up, it looked like it might stay dry a while.
Of course getting out of any huge city takes a while, so when I finally hit Hwy 35 going south, I breathed a little easier.

The say looked gloomy, and I honestly did not see too much that I wanted to take a picture of.

I did want to see how fast I could get the camera started and take a shot. With this camera, very fast!
Saw the cows in the trailer as I was passing them and thought, hey a funny pic

That blue building is a hotel

I rode toward Corpus Cristy and checked my email at a McD
I had heard back from SaltWindandFire, and called him to say I was near.
Unfortunately we kept playing phone tag, and I decided to check out the free campsite off interstate 37.
Other than noisy it is really a cool campsite, if you don't count the stray cats crawling around you tent, and inside your vestibule, looking for food.
Shall I give them my leftovers????
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #630
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
... if you don't count the stray cats crawling around you tent, and inside your vestibule, looking for food.
Shall I give them my leftovers????
NO ! ! ! .. dear lord you'll be up all night with those flea-bags hounding you without mercy ..

... btw .. awesome trip and RR .. I look forward to reading your adventures .. keep 'em coming kiddo ..

.. also .. the Moose Racing front sprockets work great with an Eagle Mike's nut holding it on .. just sayin' .. I keep one in 14t, 15t, and 16t around and adjust accordingly to where I'm wandering .. fwiw, the 16t sucks on anything other than highway traveling with minimal hills ..

.. Ride Blessed young Lady ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote