User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #1606
thepackrat
i can ride that

Oddometer: 34
my sentiments exactly. Having the same marital status and interests in travel, Keep it up!.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #1607
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
So far Colombia has proven to be a great country to break down and get things fixed in a timely manner. The warmth and generosity of the Colombian folks I've met so far has been a true delight. I had heard that this is a wonderful country to visit, but you never know until you get someplace if it is somewhere you will like. Which is why I always like to make up my own mind rather than relying on the warnings of others.

Everywhere I have gone so far has been considered dangerous and inhospitable by the people in the preceding countries. Don't get me wrong. You may hate Colombia. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Which is why I try not to recommend things to people unless I know them fairly well.

Plus I think people respond to your energy. If you are a sourpuss by nature then people will treat you like one. I try to joke around and have fun and not take life too seriously.

People seem interested in pinning you down as to where you're going and how long you'll be on the road. It's only human nature. I really have no idea, but understand that wandering around aimlessly, goofing off and having a good time on crazy good back roads until my money runs out is an unsatisfactory answer. This week I am telling people I'm headed to Baranquilla and Carnivale which is a very satisfying answer to all who hear it.
It's kind of like when I was traveling in India. The locals couldn't understand someone with no children. Being a vagabond with no children just wasn't cutting it. So to stop feeling like a pariah, I finally had to invent a son who was studying engineering and a daughter who was a nurse.

But in truth I am just a solo vagabond wandering around aimlessly, meeting nice people and having a good time on crazy good back roads until my money runs out. I have no desire to rush through South America. It is a HUGE continent and could keep a traveler busy for years. When I'm broke I'll head home, earn more money and return for more.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
That's what makes your adventure so endearing. Just talked to dad and he wants to let you know he goes online everyday to follow your ride and he's starting from the begining. He says he's taking you to your word of going back to Medellin though not necessarily in three weeks. He's borrowing a bike to take you on day long rides around the city. Oh and the guys at the parqueadero ask for news about you

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #1608
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
So far Colombia has proven to be a great country to break down and get things fixed in a timely manner. The warmth and generosity of the Colombian folks I've met so far has been a true delight. I had heard that this is a wonderful country to visit, but you never know until you get someplace if it is somewhere you will like. Which is why I always like to make up my own mind rather than relying on the warnings of others.

Everywhere I have gone so far has been considered dangerous and inhospitable by the people in the preceding countries. Don't get me wrong. You may hate Colombia. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Which is why I try not to recommend things to people unless I know them fairly well.

Plus I think people respond to your energy. If you are a sourpuss by nature then people will treat you like one. I try to joke around and have fun and not take life too seriously.

People seem interested in pinning you down as to where you're going and how long you'll be on the road. It's only human nature. I really have no idea, but understand that wandering around aimlessly, goofing off and having a good time on crazy good back roads until my money runs out is an unsatisfactory answer. This week I am telling people I'm headed to Baranquilla and Carnivale which is a very satisfying answer to all who hear it.
It's kind of like when I was traveling in India. The locals couldn't understand someone with no children. Being a vagabond with no children just wasn't cutting it. So to stop feeling like a pariah, I finally had to invent a son who was studying engineering and a daughter who was a nurse.

But in truth I am just a solo vagabond wandering around aimlessly, meeting nice people and having a good time on crazy good back roads until my money runs out. I have no desire to rush through South America. It is a HUGE continent and could keep a traveler busy for years. When I'm broke I'll head home, earn more money and return for more.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Hi John,
It is definitely polite and very advantageous, as we can all see, to abide by the customs of a society when one is a visitor. Your smiles and positive attitude go a long way as well.

I'm still keeping up and it looks like the tent is still with you too. I tell people about it all the time. I didn't tell you, but I bought that tent in Southern California about 10 years ago and used it to camp in Anza Borrego Desert, Mojave, and up in Big Bear, and now it has made its way to Columbia S.A. Too Cool.....

Keep doing what your doing. Everybody is enjoying it and looking fwd to tomorrow!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #1609
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
Hi John,
It is definitely polite and very advantageous, as we can all see, to abide by the customs of a society when one is a visitor. Your smiles and positive attitude go a long way as well.

I'm still keeping up and it looks like the tent is still with you too. I tell people about it all the time. I didn't tell you, but I bought that tent in Southern California about 10 years ago and used it to camp in Anza Borrego Desert, Mojave, and up in Big Bear, and now it has made its way to Columbia S.A. Too Cool.....

Keep doing what your doing. Everybody is enjoying it and looking fwd to tomorrow!!!!
Hola Señor Huevos Verdes,

So glad you are still following along! I can't tell you how handy your tent has made my trip. It has held up beautifully through thick and thin. And let me tell you, it has seen some thin. Soccer fields in the Darien, restaurants in Colombia, palm thickets south of Tulum, the beach in Xcalak, the desert of Mexico, or the roof of a Kuna cargo boat. Still keeps the thundertstorms out after all these miles.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #1610
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Never got around to leaving San Gil today. It was kind of cloudy and I really liked the idea of heading over to Cocuy. And would rather head up high elevation switchbacks to the heavens in clear weather. Anyway, San Gil is an easy town to hang out in. Here is a shot from my hotel window:

Took trespalacios advice and headed down to the Parque El Gallineral. Here is a nice stone bust of Simon Bolivar on the promenade along the river on the way over:

I think the sculptor was having some fun with the pencil neck and the pupils in his eyes looking up and to his right like he was bored as hell posing for his statue.

Parque El Gallineral was a very peaceful and serene place to wander around for a couple hours. Kind of like a toned down Las Pozas. Lots of Spanish moss and stone and brick pathways meandering around:

Nice stream running through the park with quaint bridges and stone wall waterfall follies:

and giant Ceiba trees:

These two cute gals were kind enough to pose for a shot. One had on a traditional dress:

There were all kinds of hand painted signs to tourist towns in the area:

Plenty of places to visit in the boonies around here. After leaving the park I wandered around town. I like this stone church:

And this sculpture in the main square made out of welded 1/4" brass wire strands. His loincloth is a little weak. But I like the wings and the eagle coming out of his chest:

Old town market area:

And I'm a sucker for bluegreen fanpalms:

Pretty nice place this San Gil. Maybe I'll leave tomorrow. I spent 49,000 pesos (28,00) on food, lodging, park entry and a hat today.

Saludos,
Juanito
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

JDowns screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 04:31 PM
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #1611
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
That's what makes your adventure so endearing. Just talked to dad and he wants to let you know he goes online everyday to follow your ride and he's starting from the begining. He says he's taking you to your word of going back to Medellin though not necessarily in three weeks. He's borrowing a bike to take you on day long rides around the city. Oh and the guys at the parqueadero ask for news about you
Hola Ricardo,

That is so nice to hear! Your Dad is great. Although you must be made of iron. I would have had a hard time keeping up with Orlando as a kid.

And tell your Dad and the mechanicos I will definitely be coming back to Medellin. I consider the parqueadero as my home away from home. I look forward to cruising around town with him. I just hope he borrows a moped so I can keep up with him.

Saludos,
Juan Paisa

JDowns screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:25 PM
Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #1612
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepackrat View Post
my sentiments exactly. Having the same marital status and interests in travel, Keep it up!.
Hi thepackrat,

Glad you are following along! And yes, I will keep reporting back what I find on the roads less traveled. It's not a job, it's an adventure.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1613
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Pretty nice place this San Gil. Maybe I'll leave tomorrow.
Hola amigo ! Just wanted to give you a head up that I'm still following you.

Nice place you took for a stay I think you deserve some peace after those problems with Sherpa... Take your time.

If you find some time and make a close up pic of that part welded on your fork it would be interesting. I'm still curious how it was done.

Saludos, vagabundo.

Mariusz
Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #1614
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Hola amigo ! Just wanted to give you a head up that I'm still following you.

Nice place you took for a stay I think you deserve some peace after those problems with Sherpa... Take your time.

If you find some time and make a close up pic of that part welded on your fork it would be interesting. I'm still curious how it was done.

Saludos, vagabundo.

Mariusz
Hi Mario33,

Your wish is my comand. It's a bit dark down in the parqueadero at this hotel but here is a pic:

Had to zip tie the brake line to the left lower since the mounting point was missing, but it stops the bike and that's all that matters at this point.

It's a ratbike owner's dream.

Saludos,
Juan Frenos de Mierda
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #1615
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
where you're going and how long you'll be on the road,...I really have no idea, but understand that wandering around aimlessly, goofing off and having a good time on crazy good back roads until my money runs out is an unsatisfactory answer.
Not for me.

This is what makes this ride report so damn interesting for most if not all of us around the world, reading, waiting, and watching! You are an inspiration. This is exactly how I want to do my trip. No set plan, no set place I gotta be, no timeline to follow. Just go where the path leads me each day, and hang my head wherever I may be at the end of each day.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #1616
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Quick update. Got the Sherpa back together. Need to get SOAT insurance on Monday before I can take it out on the highway so will spend tomorrow changing the oil, bleeding the brakes, cleaning the bike and goofing off.

The people here have been great. It is hard to believe that a week ago I was standing on the dock out in the Darien with a smashed up bike in one of the most remote rainforests on the planet with no roads or chance of rescue watching the surging ocean and wondering to myself, "Self, I wonder how you're going to get out of this one?"

The next time I drop the bike on a back road in the woods and break off a turn signal, or find myself in a seemingly tough situation, I will always have this experience to look back on and say to myself, "Well, it could be worse."

Gotta go. Adios amigos,
Juan Vagabond
Brilliant!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #1617
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Brilliant!

Hi Hewby,

Coming from you that means a lot! You of all people know what I'm talking about.

Have been enjoying your ride report in my spare time. Keep up the good work! The Salar is calling you.

Kindest regards,
Juan of the jungle
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #1618
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Not for me.

This is what makes this ride report so damn interesting for most if not all of us around the world, reading, waiting, and watching! You are an inspiration. This is exactly how I want to do my trip. No set plan, no set place I gotta be, no timeline to follow. Just go where the path leads me each day, and hang my head wherever I may be at the end of each day.
Hi VooDooDaddy,

Glad you're still following along. The twists and turns of this ride have kept things interesting, that's for sure. I have no idea where it will end up.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #1619
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
That old town market area looks interesting. Nice pics.

Just curious, since you know much more about masonry/stone than I do -
how does what you've seen in SA thus far compare to old Mexico?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #1620
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
A zoo wolf raised in captivity pacing his enclosure if asked what he wanted, his belly would reply, another five pounds of meat. This answer is belied by his pacing. In his pacing is the forebear's collective yearning for the hunt.

Our hero is straining at the hot house bonds of a late civilization, a modern day Trouvere on a quest...
Closed Thread