ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #331
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I picked a garmin 78 up, and now I'm trying to decide on how to mount it. Does anyone have opinions on using the ram mount offroad with the 78? I like the price, but it looks a little flimsy for rough offroad.

The touratech locking mount would be nice, especially if it dampens vibrations much. I'm not sure I can get over paying that much to mount a $200 gps though.
I have the ram mount / ram cradle for my 78. I really love the mount a lot - it's very stable and the adjustability is great. The cheap plastic ram cradle I am not very happy with. It is not very sturdy and for rough offroad I don't think you can get more than 1-2 seasons out of them. I recently got back from a 2 week trip to Baja and the kit held up fine, but was buzzing and rattling the whole way (granted the GPS never popped out of the cradle). After I got back I noticed the cradle really scratched up the unit quite a bit (I don't care about that but maybe someone else does).

I've used a friends Touratech mount on his older 76 series and it was rock solid. They are way way overpriced but it really is a superior mount, IMO. If I were to do it again I'd look for a nice used Touratech no question.
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #332
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
I don't care about scratches, but buzzing and rattling would annoy me. Anyone know of any other options?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #333
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I don't care about scratches, but buzzing and rattling would annoy me. Anyone know of any other options?
Rattling and buzzing is easy to fix. Just put some foam tape inside the RAM cradle. That would likely stop the scratching too.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #334
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
so from my research I gather that the 78 is good but the 62 series is a lemon downgrade and should be recalled
even Garmin admits it "by proxy"
on the website they list the discontinued 60 CSX available NEW for $730 , yet its "upgrade version" , the 62s lists for $299 , so I take that as an admission of guilt.
The entire 62 series should be recalled and crushed before some adventurer gets lost and dies because of it

sure glad I didnt buy one

I was wondering why the used beat up 60CSX's are going for so shockingly much $
thats a shame too cause Id rather have a 60csx than a 78 but not at the price/performance value
damn you garmin
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #335
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
so from my research I gather that the 78 is good but the 62 series is a lemon downgrade and should be recalled
even Garmin admits it "by proxy"
on the website they list the discontinued 60 CSX available NEW for $730 , yet its "upgrade version" , the 62s lists for $299 , so I take that as an admission of guilt.
The entire 62 series should be recalled and crushed before some adventurer gets lost and dies because of it

sure glad I didnt buy one

I was wondering why the used beat up 60CSX's are going for so shockingly much $
thats a shame too cause Id rather have a 60csx than a 78 but not at the price/performance value
damn you garmin
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I get the feeling you don't too. There is nothing 'wrong' with the 62.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #336
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

and then to piss me off even more Garmin decides to penalyze the landlubbers in the 78 series by charging an extra $100 for the altimeter and compass
a boater has no use for an altimeter and almost all boats have a compass on board so the marketing geniuses figure they can gouge another hundred out of the land based user by going through all the trouble of leaving out the S features which probably actually cost Garmin more to do
an altimeter/compass is cheep ($20 on ebay), not worth an extra $100 it should just be standard [/rant]

Garmin is so fortunate they have no competition
I'd bet if Garmin thought they could get away with selling virus protection for their little computers they would be sending out viruses from the sattelites just like Microsoft and the internet LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #337
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I get the feeling you don't too. There is nothing 'wrong' with the 62.

discontinuous tracking ( shuts off after 10,000 points with no warning)
USB power connection

there's two right there
62 sux
and you are right I dont know what Im talking about , I am getting this info from other sources on the internet before I buy a GPS
I just do a google search and come up with lots of reasons not to get a 62,

I guess I should get one and start playing with it , ignorance is bliss
and since I know nothing ............ I should be in paradise trying to keep that USB power connection working and maybe hire a geek to figure out how to sort out tracking
or just get the 78 for around $200 and a compass/altimeter and quit doing research

Dustodust screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 11:22 AM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #338
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
USB power connection

there's two right there
62 sux
and you are right I dont know what Im talking about , I am getting this info from other sources on the internet before I buy a GPS

and since I know nothing ............ I should be in paradise trying to keep that USB power connection working and maybe hire a geek to figure out how to sort out tracking
or just get the 78 for around $200 and a compass/altimeter and quit doing research
Yes, the usb only power is a problem but the 62 and 78 are virtually identical otherwise.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #339
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Dustodust, you are over thinking this. The GPS units being discussed here are solid units with relatively few problems given the environment. I would have a 62 in a heartbeat if run on AA only but would instead opt for the 78 instead for the power plug.
The 78s is $100 more but then how much is a 62s, a quick search looks to be about $350 or $150 more then a base 78 ($50 more then a 78s) and the 78 has better power options.
Seems a lot of folks dismiss the 78 series because of the layout but based on input from owners it's a non issue. Countdown has likely held more 60/76 & 62/78 units then the rest of us put together and he swears by the 76/78. Hold your hand out, open, palm facing your eyes and try touching each joint of your index finger with your thumb. And again touching each joint of your little finger. Which is easer?
Nothing wrong with the 62 as a battery powered handheld but the 78 is a better option if hardwired. The "s" models while nice are over rated IMO, any gps will give a fair gps derived altitude and what does a compass run $2-$5?
Strongly suspect the Track issues brought up are more due to user knowledge (lack of) then a hardware/firmware problem. These are sophisticated units, there are many user settings for recording & managing track logs to which there is a learning curve. BTW 10,000 points is a lot of points.
My recommendation is to buy something that sounds good, is within the budget (including extras) then practice, practice, practice or get a nuvi.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:36 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #340
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:
discontinuous tracking ( shuts off after 10,000 points with no warning) USB power connection
As Bruce says, stop wearing you brain out, it is only good for so many thoughts.

I have only had a few 62s show up but never heard of this "track issue". When I give my GPS class it is like looking at a whole herd of deer in the head lights. I don't put much in 3rd party stories.

However being a rocket scientist, flying with only one power source is like only having co2 bottles and no air pump and taking off for middle of Nevada.

I firmly believe in hard wired 12V and internal battery only as back up (62 is not an option).
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #341
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
USB power connection

there's two right there
62 sux

I never said the 62 was the best unit to have on a motorcycle, just that it's not fair to say this: "The entire 62 series should be recalled and crushed before some adventurer gets lost and dies because of it". The ONLY difference between the 78 and 62 is the cable connection - so why wouldn't you call for the crushing of both?

The 62 works perfectly well as a handheld, and that's exactly how I use mine, on Lithium batteries.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #342
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

LOL !!
good answers
better perspective now

( I still think they should buyback and crush all the 62's just because I am grouchy right now )

and being that this is the 21st century , you'd think they could at least design a better battery holder than the spring bay design from the 1950's tin toys that is still in use ......sheesh
at least have the battery snap firmly into position instead of depending on the spring tension of the contacts alone
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #343
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:

Not offence Emmbeedee as I super-duper appreciate your insights but here's my simple manís real world use perspective.

The 62 is NOT as durable as the 60 in many areas and in my opinion that needs to be the number 1 criteria for this series. If your number 1 criteria are the features, the smart phones are now trumping Garmin and can be used in tandem or back up. If you donít venture into harsh environments where the 60/62 shines why bother with either?

Just in the last few weeks I'm starting to use my new to me smart phone more and more. Although the 62 is more feature rich than the 60 neither compares to it and I suspect that gap will continue to grow.
I live in hard core, extreme environments (random tangent - ran into a tiger the other day) and I would never trust my Samsung Rugby smart alone in those areas; I really want a tough, dependable back up.
So I guess my point is, since neither the 60 nor 62 compares to the smart phone in screen size, features, screen display etc. I think the best back up choice should be based on reliability, dependability and durability.

Here's how the 60 trumps the 62: (Of course the 62 trumps the 60 in areas too, but right now I can't think of one where it is not blown away by the smart phones!)

- 60 screen is more scratch resistant.
- 60 is more waterproof.
- 60 case is tougher.
- (Mixed one here) Running off of battery power on a vibrating motorcycle the 60's screen fades out first BUT once the 62's screen fades out it stays out far longer and then goes out far quicker the next time itís used.
- Running off the power cable is no comparison! The 62 is a delicate flower in the rain; I've gone thru 2 of each and would say the 60 easily is 20X more durable.
- Simpler screen on the 60 is far more readable quickly in sunlight; information from hovering the cursor over areas comes up much faster. Of course the 62 screen is prettier but once again pales compares to the smart phone.
- HUGE ONE. I've used both 62 and 60's since they first came out. 3 times on me, 2 different 62 series acted just like they were working but had pictures of me on the map a couple miles from where I really was; a twilight zone type of thing. That's never happened with me with a 60 series and I could argue very few people could have used one more than me. Saved way points from where I was standing that all of a sudden were 2 miles away without me moving. These are great reminders to not let the map and compass part of your brain atrophied!
Several times with the 62 (for some reason always in slightly wet/high humidity situations such as walking in thick fog/clouds) the 62 will lose the satellites even with fairly clear skies and will not be able to get a fix. It then works again after a couple days of drying out. It's happened on both of my 62's and never on the 60 though I've had the 60 much longer. Thatís an all or nothing issue; when the 62 is working it gets/holds satellite signals 98% as good as the 60CSx.

My thoughts are a good upgrade to the 60 would have been to have left it the same except for increasing the number of waypoints, length of tracts, possibly adding the 3 axis compass if the upgrade didn't compromise something else (I don't find it that accurate and so wouldn't want to sacrifice too much to add it).

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 10:16 PM
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #344
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Not offence Emmbeedee as I super-duper appreciate your insights but here's my simple man’s real world use perspective.

The 62 is NOT as durable as the 60 in many areas and in my opinion that needs to be the number 1 criteria for this series. If your number 1 criteria are the features, the smart phones are now trumping Garmin and can be used in tandem or back up. If you don’t venture into harsh environments where the 60/62 shines why bother with either?
None taken.

A few points I'd like to make:
  • This thread is not a comparison between the 60 and 62 series. Create another if that's your point.
  • Back when this thread was created there were very few alternatives so we thought the 62/78 series were good enough on bikes. They do have significant tracking and map advantages over the 60/76.
  • The 78 probably is usable on a bike for most people (But perhaps not you, Ricky), because it has a good power connector.
  • The Garmin Montana trumps them all at this point (IMHO) because it has many advantages, not the least of which is the Rugged Mount which has surface power connectors to the Montana. The larger display, Landscape/Portrait orientation also makes it better.

Again, I have to say the 62 is not the best choice for motorcycle use. That's why I use my Montana for that.

The 62 is still a great unit. Just not rugged enough.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #345
jestragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
The 62 is still a great unit. Just not rugged enough.
I don't use my GPS much on my bike, but I do fieldwork in the West African bush and my 62s sees regular and rough use there (and the gps dangles on the shoulder strap of my pack while I'm riding, so while it doesn't suffer direct vibrations from the bars, it does bounce around a lot).

I've had it a little over two years and it hasn't let me down so far. The ability to load map tiles is great (in comparison to the plain 62), because the Portuguese made some top quality topo maps of this place in the early 60s and no more accurate map material exists. The unit has been through two rainy seasons here (about 6' of rain in half a year) and very hot and very dusty weather as well. I put a screen protection films on it (which I also have on my cameras and phone screens and consider the equivalent of a UV filter on a cam lens) and I keep mine in a 60 model pouch, to protect against button wear and so on. The pouch obviously isn't an option for mounted bike use, but the screen protection has no impact on visibility.

I used a 60 before in Gabon and won't deny it's toughness, but I'd be reluctant to say that the 62 is that much more fragile and don't have the impression that the screen is less scratch-resistant, speaking from my own experience at least.
jestragon is offline   Reply With Quote