ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #196
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
Wed at the Steam Boat Springs Camp ground:

James Siddall, owner of Super Plush Suspension, will give you an overview of how suspension functions, with a focus on Adventure bikes, and how best to optimize for riding with and without heavy loads. Breaking it down to layman's terms, James will help you understand how to develop your suspension to suit your needs.

James has worked in professional racing for the last fourteen years, winning five AMA national road-racing championships. Working at the factory level gives James the opportunity to work with some of the most brilliant minds in motorcycle racing, as well as the finest riders and technicians, and the exposure to the latest concepts in suspension design. Hands-on testing allows him to maximize the potential of these components and translate it into the best solution for every range of suspension, especially his personal favorites in the KTM line.

This will take place in the CJ Tech Corner of the Tent Island.

More info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=145

Hope the see you there!

cjracer screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 11:07 AM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #197
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,244
Forgot to mention his accomplished backyard mini-motocross track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post

James has worked in professional racing for the last fourteen years, winning five AMA national road-racing championships. Working at the factory level gives James the opportunity to work with some of the most brilliant minds in motorcycle racing, as well as the finest riders and technicians, and the exposure to the latest concepts in suspension design. Hands-on testing allows him to maximize the potential of these components and translate it into the best solution for every range of suspension, especially his personal favorites in the KTM line.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #198
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
I finally got in touch with Amber and reserved campsite 134 along the river for the 10th through the 15th, if anyone wants to share that campsite. It's right by the river that will be flowing still at that time of year, and Amber said it was the best site in that area for shade.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #199
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Great to see the grounds filling in.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #200
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Cobdr

I'm really interested in doing this, but I don't want to do it alone. http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

I think the best plan for me would be starting at waypoint 1 at the border in Arizona and stopping for the rally in Steamboat Springs just before the rally in September. Would anybody out there be interested in doing that leading up to the KTM Rally? It's the better part of 700 miles, off road, so probably three days riding taking time -- maybe two to get to Steamboat. Anybody at all interested?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #201
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
I'll be doing the section from about the number 10 on your map up to Steamboat for th rally in the last couple of days before the rally. Maybe Wed. or so.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #202
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I'll be doing the section from about the number 10 on your map up to Steamboat for th rally in the last couple of days before the rally. Maybe Wed. or so.
Hopefully we'll be able to hook up along the way to Steamboat.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #203
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
I live in Aspen, and will be heading up prior to the Rally somehow, and this looks interesting!

Swing by for an oil change and a beer, and we'll head out!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #204
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Not sure what days we'll be on the trail, but I plan to do what I can to check it out.

In the past, routes like these we've run, (WABDR, UTBDR) it seems like you're always catching and joining up with small groups from day to day.

CO can be tough, weather and terrain-wise. If you are not use to the altitude, best to pace yourself and give more time than you would think. Just looking a mileage alone can get you in trouble and pushing harder than you should, let alone on a big bike with luggage. Pack plenty of water and stay hydrated. Us flatlanders can get in bad shape real fast once you start to climb.

Better to plan a few extra days in there just in case. You can always hop on pavement and be to almost anywhere in CO is about 8 hrs or less, worst case.

Can't wait to get back!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #205
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I live in Aspen, and will be heading up prior to the Rally somehow, and this looks interesting!

Swing by for an oil change and a beer, and we'll head out!!!
I'll get back in touch when the date gets closer to let you know what my schedule looks like. :
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #206
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Not sure what days we'll be on the trail, but I plan to do what I can to check it out.

In the past, routes like these we've run, (WABDR, UTBDR) it seems like you're always catching and joining up with small groups from day to day.

CO can be tough, weather and terrain-wise. If you are not use to the altitude, best to pace yourself and give more time than you would think. Just looking a mileage alone can get you in trouble and pushing harder than you should, let alone on a big bike with luggage. Pack plenty of water and stay hydrated. Us flatlanders can get in bad shape real fast once you start to climb.

Better to plan a few extra days in there just in case. You can always hop on pavement and be to almost anywhere in CO is about 8 hrs or less, worst case.

Can't wait to get back!
No joke about the altitude. Luckily, my Dad lived in Golden, so I'm a bit used to it. My sister and I rode my 950 to the top of Mt. Evans. At the top I had to push the bike back a few feet so we could load up to leave, and I immediately started seeing spots. Never felt bad at all, but it was amazing how fast the lack of oxygen hit me.

My favorite little rides so far in Colorado were the Peak to Peak:

I was doing the Peak to Peak two-up with my sister when we ran into a massive storm north of Nederland -- including hail. She loved it. But, I think my favorite road so far was Crawford Gulch:

Can't wait to get the big girl off the beaten path out there. Hey, CJ, I was planning on putting on a K60 for that trip, but what front tire would you recommend for a round trip like that? That's over 2,000 miles that will likely include everything from freeway to sand.

Orangecicle screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 07:37 AM
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #207
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 490
Orangecicle,
I am thinking that a ride like that might be better after the rally. No need to rush to make it to CJ's tech camp. In any case I am up to the ride. As we get closer to the rally date I will be looking to hook up with other riders. KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #208
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
I haven't commited to the rally yet, but I ordered the map, If I decide to go I would be interested in doing the co bdr with you.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #209
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Can't wait to get the big girl off the beaten path out there. Hey, CJ, I was planning on putting on a K60 for that trip, but what front tire would you recommend for a round trip like that? That's over 2,000 miles that will likely include everything from freeway to sand.
Looks great!

For this ride, I'll be running a TKC80 front. I can get about 6-7,000 miles out of these.

It will give me a bit more bite off road than the K60 front when needed and still offer smoother ride than the 606 for the pavement there and back. If you want better dirt, I'd go with the 606 and just live with it on the pavement. I'm not swapping tires once in CO. For the rear I think I'm going to test one of my CJD cut 150 K60 rears.

It's all a compromise. I'm not here to ride single track and from my past trips this combo should get me through what I have in mind for the group and the way we are packed.

Safe travels.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #210
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,898
Thumb

I'm in Colorado (Denver area) and would be willing to ride some of that with you guys. I've done every paved route to Steamboat a hundred times. and have wheeled the off pavement stuff here for decades.

Also plenty of room to work on bikes if anyone needs to in Denver while in route to the rally.