User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,096
Blood, Sweat, and Titanium

So I'm sitting here in bed where I've been for over a week now. I've been propped up and surrounded by pillows like a newborn at a distant relative's house during New Years Eve festivities. On the end table beside me is a stack of syringes, several orange and brightly stickered bottles, and half a 3-liter bottle of apple juice. I'm in this situation after hitting the undo button on a lesson learned back in 2009. A lesson involving high speed, medium grade octane, and a low sense of danger.

As I said, I've since gone through the necessary steps to reverse what has been ram-set into my 20 year old dude-bone and left the hospital on a frigid February afternoon clutching a bottle of pills, half a chicken salad sandwich, and a large bag of hardware that looks to have come straight out of a Mcmaster Carr catalog.

Everything that is blue/green is titanium. Everything that is silver/chrome is stainless.

I'm posting this in The Garage because I'm looking for some input from you avid tinkerers and garage handymen out there. I'd like to do something with these pieces. They're way too cool to throw away, and hanging them on my wall serves no purpose as I don't often have a wall to hang it on. I'd love to turn these into something for the bike, or somehow incorporate it. I've considered everything from crash bars to suicide shifters, but nothing quite speaks to me. I could always just zip tie it to the frame or luggage somewhere and just consider it another piece of flair, but it would be really cool if I could make it functional.

My steed the last time I spoke with her:

Considering its finish and the material, I'd really rather avoid cutting, drilling, grinding, or threading the rod. There are several threaded holes at either end and all of the tools used were either flat head screwdrivers or hex/allen.

Let those creative juices flow, what've ya got?
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Cut the Ti rod into short pieces and screw them to the heel of your riding boots. At night, just lower your heel to the pavement and there will be a neat shower of white sparks following you. Great way to pick up chicks.

Caution: Make sure the pavement is smooth, don't wanna get your foot ripped off.

Benesesso screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 02:53 AM
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
My suggestion, and only since you asked, is to toss 'em into the bin and get on with the rest of your life.

- Bob
Langanobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
The stainless piece could be made into a GPS mount or something like that fairly easy. i got nothing on the other.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,354
Save 'em for next time? (Hopefully not.)
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,858
I had a rod in my right femur for 19 years. It was removed to make way for an artificial hip, and I wanted to keep the rod, just for fun.

It ended up on the luggage rack of my KLR for use as a prop rod when doing flat repairs. Worked great, too!
It's the shiny thing running just below the rear fender.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,096
I've gotta say, I'm disappointed with what I've seen so far. I like the GPS mount, and the jack-stand would be useful no doubt. But overall, I thought there'd be a little more enthusiasm.

The sparks have great shits N giggles potential, I'll probably end up rigging something up with the titanium screws to throw some sparks. But the rod needs to be given some sort of purpose.

Then again, maybe I've just got too much time on my hands.

...sad face
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
I was thinking a custom prop rod with the long rod maybe have it ingraved with the date of the crash the date it was installed and then removed.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
I like how they just safety-wired that all together. KLR rider to the bone.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
At the risk of sounding a bit too much like JettinJim, you've already blown it by asking for ideas.

Those pieces of metal have a purpose in this world. Let go, and the energy within will find its equilibrium and present the proper usage, when the time is correct.
(although I'm diggin' the ti spark-makers! I usually just use my centerstand...)

Glad to see you are on the road to recovery, and I'm looking forward to hoisting a brew or two when you make your way back out here.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain

Motomedic screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 08:08 PM
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,552
Use the titanium rod and the larger stainless piece to make a kickstart for Janis.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202331
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Cut the Ti rod into short pieces and screw them to the heel of your riding boots. At night, just lower your heel to the pavement and there will be a neat shower of white sparks following you. Great way to pick up chicks.

Caution: Make sure the pavement is smooth, don't wanna get your foot ripped off.

Winner!!

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,298
Post in JoMama for all sorts of suggestions.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,157
Dammit, they wouldn't give me my old hardware back when I re-broke my leg. No idea why. Maybe they get $$$ from recycling.

I didn't have any firm plans for it, other than I would have liked to make a chunk of it into a key fob.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Dammit, they wouldn't give me my old hardware back when I re-broke my leg. No idea why. Maybe they get $$$ from recycling.

I didn't have any firm plans for it, other than I would have liked to make a chunk of it into a key fob.
The stick of titanium in my tibia was itemized on my bill as something worth more than 8,000 dollars... You might be on to something. That said, if I ever get it pulled out you bet your ass I'm getting it back.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote