Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 965
CJ - Thanks for the input! I should be ordering my stuff next week (getting the blue/grey), and adding the SAS-Tec backpad and hip pads. I'll post pics once I get it.

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
Anymore reviews? I love the looks of this jacket but I cant find any reviews on how functional it is. How is its waterproofness?
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
Anymore reviews? I love the looks of this jacket but I cant find any reviews on how functional it is. How is its waterproofness?
Mine comes on Thursday, so hopefully I can try it on and post some pics. I'm going to wash it in Nikwax before the start of the season. I use a dedicated rain jacket and pants, but the Nikwax should help with the occasional shower. I probably won't use the liner, because I have a heated liner I use during cooler weather.

I purchased the additional SAS-Tec back pad and hip pads, as well. Once I get a chance to try everything on and I'll post some pics and my general impressions. Riding impressions will have to wait another two months or so.

2003 BMW R1150GS
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
the outer layer is not waterproof, there is a liner for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #20
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Got it in the mail yesterday. It is utterly fantastic! It is the BMW Rallye 3 Pro but 1/2 the price.

not only does the waterproof liner zips, it has storm flaps as well. It zips on both sides of the jacket.

Only has one inside pocket. big enough.

Buttoned up its great. large storm flap and 2 position collar.

Upper left zippered pocket, with zipper garage.

Lower right zippered pocket. There are also lower right and left buttoned pockets with inch storm flaps.

This is with the 2 chest pockets open. much like the Rallye. also has a pathway for a drinking tube, pocket for the bladder in the back.

The arms zip up and down, again like the Rallye. Has great venting.

The arms adjust with snaps, much better than the straps and velcro.

Left forearm has the little see though pocket.

The back has a large upper vent. as well as the pocket for the bladder.

There are also 2 vents that run the length of the back.

and of course a butt pocket.

The arms zip off. taking all armer with it.

The armer is stored in these soft mesh pockets.

Once the liner is unzipped only a few snaps hold it in, very fast to remove.

Pretty standard.

armer is ok. kinda hard but flexible.

This jacket is everything i was hopping for. Just great. Looks like a full 3.5 session jacket.

Who makes the riding pants you're wearing?
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Alright sports fans...my Dual Raid gear landed on my doorstep today. Of course I squealed like a kid at Christmas and ripped everything open.

Initial impressions - I opted for the XL because the Large pants were sterilizingly tight, and the jacket was perfect - meaning with a thicker layer underneath the jacket would't fit.

My vitals for sizing purposes...
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 194lbs
Chest: 40"
Waist: 34" (pants size)
Inseam: 32" (pants size)

Fit:
Overall the comfort of the jacket and pants were top notch. I tried both on with the water/wind-proof liners and without. The liners are very thin and don't affect sizing at all. By contrast, my Tourmaster Synergy heated liner (which is a little big on me now) makes the jacket a snug fit. Any more snug and the jacket would be uncomfortable.
The SAS-Tec armor is not very noticeable. The elbow/forearm pads immediately fell into place. The sleeves are a good length - an issue I've had with Olympia gear. The mid-section was a little big on me even with the stretch material on the sides. My wife said she didn't notice because the cut of the jacket is form-fitting. The ratchet straps on the waist are nice, but I would rather see velcro, plain belt loops, or large sections of stretch material. The pants zip to the jacket with a 3/4 zipper - basically from front pocket to front pocket around the back. That makes the whole thing feel like a one-piece suit. As previously mentioned, the waist was a little big on me, but once zipped to the jacket I didn't notice the loose feeling anymore. The jacket kept the pants in place. On a side note, going down one size would reduce the inseam also - a compromise I wasn't willing to make.
I wear Alpinestar Scout boots and they fit great under the pant legs. My previous Olympia Airglide pants were a snug fit and didn't readily slide back down once you got off the bike. Also, there's no side zipper on the legs, but they are easy to pull up to the knee to allow tall boots to be put on.

Construction:
Both the jacket and pants are Cordura (500d, I believe). The jacket appears to have a double layer over the spine and on the forearms. The pants appear to be a single layer throughout. The black sections on the inside of the legs is a suede-like material and make the pants feel very high quality. In addition, the dark gray patch in the crotch area is a stretchy material to add comfort.
Compared to the Olympia gear I've used in the past, the Dual Raid combo feels lighter but of a similar if not better overall quality.

Armor:
All the armor is SAS-Tec. The jacket comes with elbow and shoulder protectors. The pants come with knee armor, which is height adjustable. I added the SAS-Tec back pad and hip armor. The jacket label says to use the SC1/16 back pad, but the SC1/12 I ordered fit just fine. It was a tight fit and I'd worry about ripping some seams with the slightly bigger size. I've never had SAS-Tec before and the back pad is no joke. It's very thick and noticeable while wearing the jacket. As previously mentioned the other armor goes unnoticed during normal movement. I think the back pad might loosen up with use as it takes to the shape of my back. If not, the extra protection it affords is well worth any minor discomfort - and that's really all it is.

Vents:
The vents are pretty plentiful, and should work well...but only time in the saddle over the summer will bear that out. The chest vents are pretty easy to operate with gloves on, and the sleeve vents are the dog's bollocks. I also like the large vent at the top of the back and the two side vents. Air should flow around my sides and pits very nicely.

Impressions:
Overall, the design is very sharp and not as Rally Suit weenie-ish as I thought it might look. I'm very happy with the purchase and can't wait to get back on the bike.

Here are some pics (with and without the flash to highlight the reflective material)...

The front

With flash

The side

With flash

The back

With flash

Chest vents open

Sleeve vent open

Back vents open

Thigh vent

That's about does it until I get some time to ride...in like two months.

If you've got questions, ask`em.

So for now...FYYFF!!!

2003 BMW R1150GS

mcstark screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 04:47 AM
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #22
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Looks good! The inner liner may not work for me (way too much rain where I live and I would always be wearing the liner and likely would have the outershell constantly soaked). Although I like this combo otherwise. Anyone have a look at the District 1? It is goretex in the outershell with some superfabric on the shoulders (although I have no idea why they would add that to the knees and elbows too???)

Mike
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
thanks for posting mc stark. i think your riding pants look a little more protective than casejeep's. are the scott pants waterproof?? or is there an inner liner similar to the jacket?
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
thanks for posting mc stark. i think your riding pants look a little more protective than casejeep's. are the scott pants waterproof?? or is there an inner liner similar to the jacket?
The jacket and pants use a "Tri-phase" breathable, waterproof liner. I will probably never use either. I prefer an external rainsuit, but I will be treating both items with Nikwax for the occassional sprinkle.

Here's my .02 on waterproof gear. In my experience, waterproof gear is not all it's cracked up to be. Any waterproof item that has openings in it (zippers, vents, etc.) can't be considered 100% waterproof. Waterproof zippers and vent seals will eventually fail - usually at the least convenient time. Adding a breathable membrane and seam sealing is expensive and complicated. This adds to the cost of the jacket and introduces points of failure. I'm not made of money and I think simple things are often the most reliable.
I would love to try a Klim Badlands, but for less than half the money I can get 90% of the features. While looking for the "perfect moto gear" (for me) I wanted SAS-Tec armor and the material to be Cordura. The Dual Raid ticks both boxes. I'm also glad it comes with the removeable liners, because that means the jacket itself doesn't have any barrier for water...or air, so it should naturally breath better than a similar garment with a vapor barrier. Treating it with Nikwax and carrying a rainsuit has me covered when the weather gets nasty.
Now we'll see how that theory holds true this year. Who knows...maybe I'll be selling the Dual Raid next year and try something else. I doubt that will be the case, as it fits the best out of everything I've tried, I love the look of it, and it's comfortable.

Again, just my .02. We all want the Holy Grail of motorcycle gear, but from reading the reviews no one seems to have nailed it yet. At least not for my frame.

2003 BMW R1150GS

mcstark screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 12:03 PM
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,368
Good looking stuff. If you want waterproof (if that's possible) look at the Scott Ridgeline pants and jacket. I think I spent about $350 for both. Well made and really worth the money IMO. Had mine for just 1 year now and I like them a lot. I've been looking into neck braces and the Leatt fits well on the outside because the collar isn't in the way.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ne-Jacket.aspx

see my review here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653454
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 01:10 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Good looking stuff. If you want waterproof (if that's possible) look at the Scott Ridgeline pants and jacket. I think I spent about $350 for both. Well made and really worth the money IMO. Had mine for just 1 tear now and I like them a lot. I've been looking into neck braces and the Leatt fits well on the outside because the collar isn't in the way.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ne-Jacket.aspx

see my review here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653454
RR - Thanks for the input! Scott seems to get it right, and your input makes me feel more confident that I have the gear I've been searching for.

2003 BMW R1150GS
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
mcstark
Oilhead convert

So I took some time to go over the Dual Raid more thoroughly last night. I found two other gems that speak to the quality of the garment.
The first is that all the major zippers are made by YKK. I've had some gear where the zippers were less than reliable and didn't close as slick as they should have. Guess what? They were no-brand zippers. There are only four zippers that I can't pin down as being YKK. They are for the two outside pockets, the inside pocket, and the access port for the optional back pad - found under the tail of the jacket. Based upon the smoothness of their operation, I would say they're YKK products as well.
The second point that shows attention to detail in design and execution is the snaps. They're all metal spring snaps. Metal will withstand a lot more use, and abuse, than plastic, so the garment should be functional for quite some time. Spring snaps are characterized by two metal bars in the port of the snap. When you insert the post into its port the two spring bars are pushed aside and then spring back into a groove on the post. This makes for a positive action and a very secure snap. Have you ever pushed a snap closed only to have it pop free? It wasn't a spring snap. Spring snaps require a little more effort to close, but they work reliable and consistently.

The more I look at the Dual Raid the happier I am with my purchase - and I was pretty happy to start with. Now if Spring would just hurry up and get here, I'll be even happier.

If you've got questions, or want a better look at something, just let me know. I'd be happy to answer questions or post more details pics.

2003 BMW R1150GS
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #28
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
How is venting overall? If I were to wear the jacket and pant in summer, will it be too toasty?
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #29
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenon View Post
How is venting overall? If I were to wear the jacket and pant in summer, will it be too toasty?
Perhaps. I've had full Cordura with vents before and it was warm in the Summer. I've also had full mesh, and never liked feeling uneasy about it's durability if I went "pavement surfing."

I'm reserving final judgement until I get a complete season under my belt. I doubt anyone will know for sure, as the Dual Raid suit is a new item for 2013.

2003 BMW R1150GS
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #30
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Where was the jacket made? I can't help drawing the similarities to the BMW Rallye since someone else mentioned it. Sometimes it is surprising to find out the original brand BMW contracts out to.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote