Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Back then I went RTW on standard airhead road bikes, two up with camping gear (pre GS days). Quite a lot of the roads out side of Europe and north America were pretty rough, but a set of standard Craven panniers worked fine with only a little bit of remedial welding required in Ecquador. Australia included a lot of dirt roads, some rough.

Spend your money on the toughest suspension you can find and does not mean Ohlins. Plus decent panniers. Modern tents are very lightweight and I still enjoy sleeping under canvas, even if I eat out.

All very good advice. Back "in the day" it was well known in Oz that the /5, /6, and /7 subframes were weak and a Craven rack helped beef things up.

Hyperpro is the rear suspension I would choose over anything, these days.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #32
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
I own a R80 G/S HPN 1986 and ride by far not hard enough to make use of all the benefits the frame bracing is doing.
During a holiday last year I went to see the HPN workshop and had a good look around what they have built in the past and what they still build, and have had long discussions and picking their brains about the frame reinforcement.
They have a full collection of Paris Dakar bikes from 1981 to the oil heads.
The strengthening they do to the GS is to make the bike better putting up with the impact
coming from working the suspension (jumping and corrugated roads).
HPN did actually develop and engineer the frame for the BMW Krauser MKM 1000.and later sold it to Krauser who then started manufacturing a small series. The diagonal bracing from steering head to the swing arm pivot point is designed to minimise the twisting of the frame (high speed direction changing) with putting that in you are improving your frame towards the Krauser style of bike. The collection at HPN includes also at least one of these 'MKM' that is still road registered and gets raced.
With strengthening in the HPN GS way, putting the half moon around the pivot point, and several bracings around the steering head reinforcing the shock mount and foot peg mounts you develop your frame towards a desert racer or around the world mule. If you look at the variety of the sub frames some of them are designed for a light weight rally bike while others are made to mount luggage carrier to it.
http://www.SWT-SPORTS.de is offering a kit of strengthening plates that a guy here in Perth has used to build a HPN relica.The white bike on:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787760 the bike with the red frame is a replica of a replica, he copied the SWT parts and my bike design.

ms-oz screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 01:51 AM
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #33
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
I would really like to build a Krauser framed bike, fit a tweaked engine, give it an 90/S riding position........isn't their some wear in holland that builds Krauser frames?
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #34
Alfons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Hi Charles,

there is a guy in Germany who builds a trellis frame that is very similar to the legendary Krauser frame:

http://www.edelweiss-motorsport.de/c...d09/?tx_ttnews[backPid]=135&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=13

greetings from Germany

Alfons
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
ms-oz
Mike

I like these frames

Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
I like these frames

Why?

Long wheelbase with a short swing arm - thing will be twitchy at the point it breaks traction.
Little if any increase in rigidity to adress "rubber cow" syndrome and a larger unsupported triangle mounting the rear shocks is going to further amplify rubber cow effects.
Looks to me to be an exrecise in styling rather than engineering a rigid frame with improved handling.

Does it have a race history that says I've missed the point entirtely?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #37
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Why?

Long wheelbase with a short swing arm - thing will be twitchy at the point it breaks traction.
Little if any increase in rigidity to adress "rubber cow" syndrome and a larger unsupported triangle mounting the rear shocks is going to further amplify rubber cow effects.
Looks to me to be an exrecise in styling rather than engineering a rigid frame with improved handling.

Does it have a race history that says I've missed the point entirtely?
In the Netherlands guys with those frames win a lot of classic races. So they must be doing something right.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
In the Netherlands guys with those frames win a lot of classic races. So they must be doing something right.
Thanks for that.
A beemer looks good at the front of the pack.

# 44 looks like an H2 Kawasaki yet it appears to have drum brakes.
Is it a waterbus or are drum brake conversions required for vintage racing in the Netherlands?

As an owner and rider of multiple triples I know that to make any BMW handle as well as the Kawasaki or Suzuki triples you have to first let the air out of the tyres.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Thanks for that.
A beemer looks good at the front of the pack.

# 44 looks like an H2 Kawasaki yet it appears to have drum brakes.
Is it a waterbus or are drum brake conversions required for vintage racing in the Netherlands?

As an owner and rider of multiple triples I know that to make any BMW handle as well as the Kawasaki or Suzuki triples you have to first let the air out of the tyres.

In Europe a yellow number plate means 500cc, a 750 would have white plates. The blue plate on #34 in the backgound means it's a 350.

Maybe #44 is a 400 Kwacker? Did they have drum brakes?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #40
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
Now I almost certainly won't be riding off road, .... but I want a strong, tough, reliable and comfortable touring bike.
That sounds very much like an RS/RT, or really any R100 airhead set up for touring as you like it. Purpose designed for long range road touring on good roads. If you are on 3rd world roads, the GS might be better.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #41
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
I like these frames

Must say that is a very elegant triagulation design. Kudus to whomever made that.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #42
ms-oz
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Must say that is a very elegant triagulation design. Kudus to whomever made that.
http://www.becksmotoren.nl
is there they come from