User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #5206
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Hey guys,

I'm trying to power my iPhone 5 on my bike... Looking for opinions on my best options. Here's what I see so far:

1. BMW accessory outlet. I can go powerlet to USB, mount the USB up by the bars, then just use a regular USB charging cable for the phone. This sounds good since it'll be keyed (I assume). My concern is leaving the factory accessory plug open, and the little cover (or door) getting ganked by my leg, or just corroded with weather exposure.

2. I could come off my Battery Tender SAE connection to USB, and just unplug and replug after each ride when I connect the tender.

3. I can fight with the tight battery box again and go straight from the battery to USB.

With all the concern about weak battery and little available power, should I be concerned about the cell phone having switched power? There's nothing else "extra" on the bike now, but will likely do heated grips next winter (we've about made it through the cold here in my part of Texas

Any suggestions?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #5207
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Hey guys,

I'm trying to power my iPhone 5 on my bike... Looking for opinions on my best options. Here's what I see so far:

1. BMW accessory outlet. I can go powerlet to USB, mount the USB up by the bars, then just use a regular USB charging cable for the phone. This sounds good since it'll be keyed (I assume). My concern is leaving the factory accessory plug open, and the little cover (or door) getting ganked by my leg, or just corroded with weather exposure.

2. I could come off my Battery Tender SAE connection to USB, and just unplug and replug after each ride when I connect the tender.

3. I can fight with the tight battery box again and go straight from the battery to USB.

With all the concern about weak battery and little available power, should I be concerned about the cell phone having switched power? There's nothing else "extra" on the bike now, but will likely do heated grips next winter (we've about made it through the cold here in my part of Texas

Any suggestions?
The BMW accessory outlet is not switched power. Some guys have used the connector that used to run the emissions canister to power a relay to create a switched power source. Run power from the battery to the relay (with a fuse in-line) then up to behind the front headlight so you can wire up the USB and have completed the hard part of the heated grips installation.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #5208
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 459
Do a search for tapp lite weatherproof usb. Pretty cool. Its what im running to phone mounted in a aquabox
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #5209
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
Do a search for tapp lite weatherproof usb. Pretty cool. Its what im running to phone mounted in a aquabox

I saw them today. Did you got straight to the battery, or use their poweret adaptor?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #5210
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Last night I found out the SW-Motech center stand does not fit with the Touratech brake lever. My buddy is going to try and grind the brake lever pivot housing down far enough to clear the center stand bracket that mounts to the right footpeg. Ugh. Nothing is easy. We did manage to put the two new Iridium plugs in. After the center stand gets done I have to cut the Touratech skid plate to fit the SW-Motech crash bars. After that will be the Oxford heated grip install. She's coming along but slower then I'd like.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #5211
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I saw them today. Did you got straight to the battery, or use their poweret adaptor?
Srtaight to battery
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #5212
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Hey guys,

Any suggestions?
I electrified my Wolfman tank bag and inside is a female cigarette receptacle I can plug accessories into, including USB adaptor I plug the iPhone 5 cable into and charge my bluetooth headset with - tank bag is switched power via Fuzeblock under seat area. Fuzeblock distributes both switched and direct battery power to my LED floods, tank bag, heated grips, GPS power, OEM underseat powerlet (wired for direct power for battery tender and air pump use after airing down for offroad), and heated gear outlet.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #5213
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Is that an aux fuel tank I see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Wolman gets my vote. I built the racks and the dry bags are super!

OR a tool tube? If fuel how much does it hold?
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #5214
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Rekluse

Anyone have a Rekluse for the XCH they want to part with
Been wanting to try one but not to the retail $ tune.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #5215
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantroop View Post
OR a tool tube? If fuel how much does it hold?
Its fuel....... 1.1 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #5216
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Its fuel....... 1.1 gallons

Nice.
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #5217
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantroop View Post
Nice.
Here's a better pic

vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #5218
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 504
Hepco Becker saddle bag mounts with Ohlins shock

Anyone running HB saddle bag mounts with an Ohlins shock?

I am in the process of installing the HB mounts but am running into some clearance issues with the ohlins reservoir. I think I may need to fab a new mount for the reservoir.

Anyone else have this issue?
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #5219
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos View Post
Anyone running HB saddle bag mounts with an Ohlins shock?

I am in the process of installing the HB mounts but am running into some clearance issues with the ohlins reservoir. I think I may need to fab a new mount for the reservoir.

Anyone else have this issue?
I had an issue but I don't remember exactly what I did. I think I drilled a hole in the H&B mount and threaded it, then moved the Ohlins bracket and drilled new holes in it so one bolt went through the bracket to the BMW sub frame, and the other bolt just held it to the bracket. I will look for a pic and post more later.

Rob
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #5220
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Bingo, check out post 4324 in this thread. I describe what I did to the bracket and there are more pics.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...86274&page=289

Here is the pic.

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote