Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Long-Oval Offroad Helmets

Hi All,

If there's already a thread for this, please direct me there. Just couldn't locate one.

I'm looking for a long oval shaped off road or dual sport helmet. Arai Signet Q and ICON Airmada fit me well in the street bike category, anything comparable in the dirt/dual sport realm? Shooting for a sub $300 price point if at all humanly possible.

Thanks.
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,771
There is not a good thread on the 'net regarding off-road, long-oval helmets. That said, I spent an hour trying on helmets today at my local Cycle Gear. The two that fit me best were the Fox brand and the Bell brand of off-road helmets. I also tried, Bilt, O'neal, Answer, Shoei, and one other I can't recall. The Fox was an xl and fit really well. The Bell in XL was tight up front and the 2xl didn't fit much better. Of the helmets I tried, I'd walk out with a Fox if I'd had the money today. I think they wanted $279 for the one I tried.

I've heard good things about HJC off road helmets. Haven't got any firsthand fittings, though.

My street helmet is an Icon Variant.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,329
I Have a Fly that is super comfortable, I'm a long oval and an XL to boot. Found it totally by accident on the sale rack. Only helmet in the place that fit. SCORE!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
ADVMAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Agv ax 8 evo may be what you need . Webbikeworld has a helmet shape chart and this one looks good .
Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
BMW Enduro Helmet

I'm not exactly sure how you define an "off road" helmet, but if you're talking about a dual sport type helmet...I'm a relatively new rider and had a very, very hard time finding a helmet that fit my extremely long oval head. There was an Arai that one shop was going to order in with special pads that they thought might fit but that was all I could find that wasn't physically painful. As a last resort I went into my local BMW dealer after reading that some BMW helmets fit long ovals. They put me in a BMW Enduro helmet and it was perfect! It's expensive (in Canada it's double your price limit) but incredibly comfortable and worth every dollar compared to the alternative of getting a headache two minutes after putting on other helmets. If none of the lower priced options work out, it's worth a try. Good luck!
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I have used the HJC open face motocross helmet for the last 8 years for trail riding on my XR650L and it fits my large long oval head pretty well. However, I bought a new KTM 990 last spring and bought the Arai XD-4 which is the absolutely best fitting helmet I have ever worn. It is a long oval design and I use the 2xl. Additionally, the helmet has removable inserts to give you a custom fit. Around $500 but worth every penny IMHO. Good luck in you quest!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 995
Helipilot..

I have only used the open face motocross helmets my whole life, and have really been looking at the Arai-xd 4, how is the visibility? does it feel pinched in? lack of peripheral vision? I don't have the ability to try them on for a while and have to go through the E-net..

I have a long oval head, and this pretty much seals the deal...

Thanks in ADVance...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Fox V1 and V3

After some online research (but admittedly zero in-store time) I've found that the Fox V1 and V3 are supposed to be intermediate oval/narrow shapes. Haven't found anything in the medium price range (200-350) that claims to be long oval/narrow.

The V1 is supposedly an entry level helmet as far as features, whereas the V3 is a professional MX lid. The shapes are supposedly the same. Apparently the V2 and V4 are more round.

ADVMAC - I checked out some reviews of the AGV AX-8 and it sounds like it's definitely in the ballpark of intermediate oval/narrow, but I couldn't pass up the Fox V1 sale price as a first shot. If the Fox doesn't go, I'll be returning it to try the AGV.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,016
If you don't need DOT approval, the Airoh Stelt is a long-oval helmet. Plus, it's so damn light, you barely notice it. I wear an Uvex Enduro helmet as a DS lid- it's actually longer than the Airoh, but I don't get much of a pressure point with the Airoh, I think partly due to the light weight.

http://www.fc-moto.de/Helmets/Airoh-...H-Stelt-Senior
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

I received the Fox V1 the other day. Definitely not a true long-oval, but then again it never claimed to be. It's marketed as an intermediate/medium oval. I'd say it fits that bill.

I spoke with CS at www.revzilla.com and at www.motorcycle-superstore.com; both say there are no true long oval dirt or dualsport helmets in their stock. They both mentioned the ICON Variant, but said its features are strictly street (the design is dualsport).

The quest continues.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Shoeis are made on a long oval. I have a DS Hornet and the MX version
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 995
Well I went and bought the XD-4... my first full face helmet, it is nice... lot's of venting, fits very well on my long oval fat head... feels solid in my hands well built, I wore it around the house for 2 hours,(my normal saddle time between stoping for pic's, drink, etc) looking for pinch points/ hot spots, could not find any.
my only complaint is with the face shield up the visibility is a little pinched in I'll most likely take it off I have never used one in the past, I think I'll keep it, it is a little pricey thought, $500 something from Revzilla, I feel it is well worth it...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post

I spoke with CS at www.revzilla.com and at www.motorcycle-superstore.com; both say there are no true long oval dirt or dualsport helmets in their stock. They both mentioned the ICON Variant, but said its features are strictly street (the design is dualsport)..
FFS...

That is not what I wanted to read.

I have what is rated as an intermediate oval helmet right now (EXO-900 Scorpion), and it's giving me pains on longer rides that tell me I should really seek out a true long-oval helmet or two.

Problem is... I don't want to spend $300 or $400 on one.

I just e-mailed Revzilla about the very same, and asked about DS helmets, right before finding this thread. I guess they'll reply back to me with the same answers you got.

Unless I find a great fitting helmet (haven't had one since the 1990's with Shoei's top-end race helmet at the time), I won't be doing any major trips for a long time.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
GOSTAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I don't do a ton of DS riding, but I got an AFX39, and a BIG head. I wear a XXL size in the Arai Signet. I got the AFX39 a few days ago, and ordered a XXL in it. It seems to fit well. I don't really like the quick release strap, but I think I can live with it. I have had it on, riding, for over an hour with none of "MY FOREHEAD'S ON FIRE!" that I get from most helmet that are too short. I believe I can comfortably say that it will fit my long-oval head. Bonus? Less than a buck and a quarter. It is heavy, and a bit noisy compared to the Arai, but built to do something different, so it is an apples to oranges comparo...

Good luck in your search
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
curvinator65
Old but not done

Oddometer: 25
Thumb Fly Trekker

I ordered a Fly Trekker XL for my XXL head which is long oval and very large. It is the first helmet smaller than a XXL that I have been able to wear. Although I can't get a beanie under it for colder riding. The visibility is very good, the faceshield flips up under the visor and it can be used with goggles easily. I have used it on at least 20 >150 mile/day DS rides. It is vented well and is under $150. Although it is pretty light it has a large profile, which is not a problem on DS rides but the wind can really catch it at higher speeds, 70+mph.
curvinator65 is offline   Reply With Quote