Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,838
Having done baja a few times, we always run 606s.

Great wear even on pavement. Work well in the sand.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
salvey
Inventurer

Oddometer: 7
Hidenau K60 Scout

I have ridden my G650X on three Baja trips, averaged about 50/50 on/off road. On the first trip, I burned out a Dunlop 908 and 606 in 3,400 miles; they were toast. Both the 908/606 flattened out, and the 606 wears with flat spots in the cleat pattern so it became very noisy - and then had funny characteristics on pavement. They were a lot of $$$ for one run from Tucson, down the peninsula and back.

Frank Zabriski in Tucson recommended that I replace them with Hidenau K60s. I liked these on the road immediately, and they have enough deep rubber to run very well on everything that Baja had to offer; I was riding with dirt bikes with Dunlop and Pirelli knobbies. They're stiff tire with heavy sidewalls, so they're tough (no flats for me, several for the other bikes).

I rode another 3,000 mi in Baja and then 3,500 mi up the Great Divide Trail (all off road) and another 1,000 miles on/off in Canada. They wore evenly, front and rear, and still worked well on pavement and were passable off road with almost 7,500 miles on both tires. I've replaced them with another set and headed back to Baja.

Best value for a Dual Sport tire in my experience, and work very well on a G650X.
salvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Here's a quote I think is relevant and it a good explanation why when I've going to be riding on dirt, I use tires that are good on dirt, even if there's pavement on the ride.

D606's or Motoz Tractionators Desert is my vote. ( the motoz last longer than 606's, but aren't as good on pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Here is the first batch of Noob Answers, fielded from questions PM’ed to me on ADV Rider. Though I have been riding, racing and teaching motorcycle riding for the better part of my life, I’ve never forgotten the thrill of the early days and the mistakes that come along with learning.

I have an 07 KTM 990 I am riding right now. Came with Mefo Explorers. Opinion for their use in DV?

Tires are one of the most overlooked components on an adventure bike and I’m surprised by how many riders will try and get away with riding a “round” tire off-road. If you do not have a blocked-knob-type tire, one with good-sized openings in the tread, you are flirting with disaster in the dirt. All it takes is running your hand across to different types of tires to feel the difference in adhesion and bite the knobby affords you. And to make it worse, the performance of the knobby really comes into play when you really need it, especially in turning or braking. A round tire just slides on top the dirt and has little bite to stop the sliding.

Specifically the Mefo is a less aggressive knobby-type tire that compromises a little bit on the longevity side for less outright dirt traction. It has enough openings on the side of the tire to have more bite than a street tire but it’s definitely not a Kenda Big Block or a Continental TKC 80 when you really need it.

What it comes down to for me is this: Would I rather change tires more often or wait the six weeks to have the cast taken off my ankle from the sudden and unexpected crash that happened to me because I was on the wrong tires? And as much as the saving money part comes into the discussion, we all know which one of those scenarios is les expensive, right?

Keep practicing and getting ready and I'll see you in DV... Oh, and keep the questions coming, PM for best results.

JIMMY

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote