Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #196
F6BANGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
Nice job. I love the LED touch. This is exactly what I thought of when OaklandStrom wrote that he likes to have a visual feedback. So you have your grips in series. If there is a break in the wore, you lose heat in both your grips. To wire them in parallel, you will need a lot of wire. That's why I am inclined towards nichrome. You have a more even distribution of heat with long wires though. There is more heat loss at the edges of your windings than in the middle. You could save your turns a bit farther apart in the middle than at the edges for more even heat distribution,
I can't afford 56 watt for my grips, gloves, or insoles. I am looking at 10-12 watts and would need 228 feet of 28 gauge copper wire for that.
The only problem with nichrome that I have found is that its not insulated. I have Kuryakyn ISO grips. The nichrome would short on it. If you have rubber grips, you need to make sure the wires dont cross or "holy bat fire" You get a short. I dont think the wire will break. its held in place by the inner tube. I do have enough wire to do 54' per grip but the grips would be gettin huge. Also, its damn near impossible soldering nichrome.
F6BANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #197
Yaatri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
I just ordered one of the first one you mention. Not much too loose for $2.46 shipped. I will try it on my glooves and keep you posted,
KP
Thanks. That would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroPNW View Post
Haven't tried to former one, but have about 5-6 of the latter ones laying around. One has gone into my heated grips install, another will go into AUX LED lights dimming.
One thing to be cognizant about it is that the output is funky with relation to the ground.

Basically, it has a high side ("+") wired to the output straight through, and modulates the output on the other side ("ground", or "-"). So, if you were to ground the "-" side of the output, which is sort of a natural thing to do for a properly designed appliance, in this case, you'd be shorting it. No big deal in a lot of applications to keep that side isolated from the ground, just something to be aware of.
I was wondering about the size. Circuit could be miniaturised, but how does the smaller one handle the heat? Heat sink adds to the size in the latter. it consumes 1 watt of power, which has to be dissipated through the heat sink. Maybe the smaller one consumes very little power and doesn't need a heat sink? It would have to be a different circuit. Simple miniaturisation would make the heat dissipation problem more severe. No?
Thanks for pointing out the quirk. Basically, the gear will have a floating ground. Since the low side of the heating element is connected to the -ve of the battery, it's still grounded.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #198
F6BANGER
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
Thanks. That would be great.

I was wondering about the size. Circuit could be miniaturised, but how does the smaller one handle the heat? Heat sink adds to the size in the latter. it consumes 1 watt of power, which has to be dissipated through the heat sink. Maybe the smaller one consumes very little power and doesn't need a heat sink? It would have to be a different circuit. Simple miniaturisation would make the heat dissipation problem more severe. No?
Thanks for pointing out the quirk. Basically, the gear will have a floating ground. Since the low side of the heating element is connected to the -ve of the battery, it's still grounded.
After compairing my buddies Gerbing controller to the ebay LED dimmer, the Gerbings is smaller. The Gerbings is lighter than the LED dimmer too. The circut board in the Dimmer is about the same size as the gerbings control. I dont think there is room for a heat sink in the gerbings controller unless that resistor looking thing is a heat sink. I didnt want to pull the circuit board out of the white stuff to look at the other side...Sorry

Excuse the dog hair everywhere.....
Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #199
F6BANGER
Adventurer

The connectors I used for my heated grips....$12 for 10 pair, you dont need 10 pair unless you plan on doing more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Female-5-...item3f18e3e1e0 Female

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Male-5-5x...item416723bd31 Male
Note: These connectors are 2.1mm which you can use with this dimmer as long as you dont go over 5amps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5A-0-100...item2577b56a6d The white ones are cheaper.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #200
Yaatri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
60 watts ıs a bıt too low for my comfort. But ıf you are sure that there ıs no way ın the world that your cırcuıt wıll go over 60 watts, ıt should be fıne.
Yaatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #201
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Just to clarify before I light myself on fire trying this out, I ask those of you with far more electrical knowledge than myself. I can take 28 gauge nichrome wire( I have 80ft), cover it with shrink tube, run it through my vest or gloves, then hook one end up to ground, the other to a fused power source, and enjoy heat?
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #202
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
80 ft?

I am not an expert, but i used 50 ft of this. 28awg stranded teflon-coated copper wire,
It provides plenty of heat. 80 ft seems a bit long and heat shrink is very expensive. just my .02
beechhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #203
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
Just to clarify before I light myself on fire trying this out, I ask those of you with far more electrical knowledge than myself. I can take 28 gauge nichrome wire( I have 80ft), cover it with shrink tube, run it through my vest or gloves, then hook one end up to ground, the other to a fused power source, and enjoy heat?
Not quite. The gauge and material is irrelevant. You have to know the resistance in ohms-per-foot of whatever you plan to use and do the math. When using nichrome, you'll need to cut it into several short loops, maybe 6ft each? Copper has a much lower resistance so you can do one long strand.

Here's the formula I used for 26ga nichrome. Just substitute the resistance of your wire.
http://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...5001&k=3N6hX5W
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #204
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for that. I think I may just pick up some hook-up wire to avoid the shrink tube and soldering labor of the nichrome. So pretty much anything with the appropriate resistance can be used, so long as it can withstand the heat?
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #205
trixterNorCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I wonder if this would be easier for people to insert into a jacket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Replacemen...645#vi-content

It is about 6x16 inches, 2 pads for $20 incl shipping.

There are similar items of similar prices from the waist rollback hand warmers to heating pads to whatever else that are out there that just need to be cut slightly and sewn in place.
trixterNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #206
F6BANGER
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
Thanks for that. I think I may just pick up some hook-up wire to avoid the shrink tube and soldering labor of the nichrome. So pretty much anything with the appropriate resistance can be used, so long as it can withstand the heat?
do a search for DIY heated gear wire in venders or click this link........

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1

F6BANGER screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 01:32 PM
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #207
F6BANGER
Adventurer

10a controller

Check this out. While surfing the net, (damn broken foot, going stir crazy) I came across this. 12v 10a pwm for only $7.50...only problem, it takes a month for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180885318915...84.m1438.l2649

Now you can really cook yourself...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #208
BluffU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hello, all I just posted a new thread today about a jacket I believe people should check out by a company called Klymit. I highly recommend it!!
BluffU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #209
F6BANGER
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluffU View Post
Hello, all I just posted a new thread today about a jacket I believe people should check out by a company called Klymit. I highly recommend it!!
I dont think I would be running wire through a brand new $250 jacket. Does it have a liner? The website doesnt let us know much.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #210
BluffU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Liner

No there isn't a liner and you wouldn't need a heated liner for this jacket. Check out the review on www.gizmag.com I love mine and I'm amazed everytime at how well it works. It is wind and water proof as well. Let me know if I can answer any questions. Hopefully, that review will answer most of your questions.
BluffU is offline   Reply With Quote