Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #1141
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Curiously enough, Ducati itself disproved that theorem. Record sales and dismal race results. So apparently, personalities sell bikes.

Why does this keep being repeated? Rossi finished 6th, and Hayden 9th. These are the numbers that count - the rest are just statistics.

But if the perception among the many (like around here) is that Hayden outroad Rossi on the Duc, does that not count for anything? Rossi may have beat Hayden in the points, but if everyone thinks the opposite is true... does anyone go back to look up season points for positions 6 through 9?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #1142
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,558
Of course with his massive salary, Rossi should have performed a lot better, so in that respect Hayden may have been the better investment of the two. But he didn't outride Rossi on that bike.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #1143
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglewis View Post
That's one hell of a slide - a lot of sideways ground to cover!

On the subject of Duc and Audi, )I just can't resist) one thing that we know for sure is that Audi knows how to win. Even a cursory look at Audi's Le Mans efforts show the highest degree of professionalism and effort. I can't imagine:

1. that they didn't know what they were getting when they took over the Ducati racing effort. These are smart and serious guys (and women) who aren't looking for a weekend at the races.

2. that they will be satisfied with a mid-pack result.

3. that they would commit to a 4 rider team just to employ some riders - not one of whom is German.

It seems to me that it's very early days - only one test in - and that there is a lot more to come. Ducati was the only "factory" team available (even Audi couldn't buy Yamaha), and buying a factory team brings a lot of expertise on MotoGP. That would be a lot easier than starting from scratch.

Maybe Audi feels that BMW needs a little competition in the 2-wheel arena.

My prediction - the four rings will be on the podium before the season ends.
You must drive an audi...

Audi did not buy the MotoGP team, they bought the brand, don't know why. Maybe so they can drop it like beemer dropped Husky.

Le mans efforts don't count here. The way i see it, they are going to dump their motoGP team, after the deal with Dorna ends...2014 or 2016... Yes they are now saying, that they want to gather their own data before making changes. Audi please... Which has better data: Motorcycle company that has raced years in WSBK/MGP ?? Or a car company that has never built a bike ??

I have an idea... Ducati should dig up the drawings of the 2007 bike, rebuild it and then gather some data... didn't that bike still have steel trellis "frame" ?

kyns screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 03:19 AM
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #1144
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
But if the perception among the many (like around here) is that Hayden outroad Rossi on the Duc, does that not count for anything? Rossi may have beat Hayden in the points, but if everyone thinks the opposite is true... does anyone go back to look up season points for positions 6 through 9?
No, Hayden did not out ride Rossi. Rossi did poorly, but did better than Hayden( not by much ). Hayden started many races better than Rossi, but Hayden seem to allways fade before the end. Rossi was more consistent and did not fade, Rossi did better.

kyns screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 04:44 AM
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #1145
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,387
Yes, Hayden often out qualified Rossi, but Rossi went forward during the race, Hayden went backwards.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #1146
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,940
Wow alot of guys drinking that Rossi KoolAid....
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #1147
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
At least the Rossi koolaid is just koolaid... The Nicky/Ben koolaid seem to have some acid mixed in there...
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #1148
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
At least the Rossi koolaid is just koolaid... The Nicky/Ben koolaid seem to have some acid mixed in there...
I don't think there is any Ben koolaid left.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #1149
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
Jesus Juice.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #1150
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
You must drive an audi...

Audi did not buy the MotoGP team, they bought the brand, don't know why. Maybe so they can drop it like beemer dropped Husky.

Le mans efforts don't count here. The way i see it, they are going to dump their motoGP team, after the deal with Dorna ends...2014 or 2016... Yes they are now saying, that they want to gather their own data before making changes. Audi please... Which has better data: Motorcycle company that has raced years in WSBK/MGP ?? Or a car company that has never built a bike ??

I have an idea... Ducati should dig up the drawings of the 2007 bike, rebuild it and then gather some data... didn't that bike still have steel trellis "frame" ?
The steel trellis frame was crap. Stoner begged Ducati to give him the carbon frame as soon as he tested it, it was so much better.

Ducati don't need a 2007 bike, they need 2007 circumstances: a custom-built tire, Honda and Yamaha aiming at the wrong target (agility instead of fuel efficiency), and the mercurial talent of Casey Stoner. None of those factors are currently available to them. that's their problem.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #1151
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
The steel trellis frame was crap. Stoner begged Ducati to give him the carbon frame as soon as he tested it, it was so much better.

Ducati don't need a 2007 bike, they need 2007 circumstances: a custom-built tire, Honda and Yamaha aiming at the wrong target (agility instead of fuel efficiency), and the mercurial talent of Casey Stoner. None of those factors are currently available to them. that's their problem.

As the man most in the know around here do you think Audi is in MotoGP for only a short time?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #1152
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
As the man most in the know around here do you think Audi is in MotoGP for only a short time?
What I understand is that Marlboro are losing patience with Ducati. I think Audi would be perfectly happy to continue with Marlboro picking up such a large part of the bills. However, if they had to pay for it out of their own pockets, that might be another thing altogether.

Audi's intention is to continue, as far as I am aware, and they intend to stay in if they can. They also have a contract with Dorna which will keep them in until 2017 or '18. They could leave, but it would cost them.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #1153
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Is there a commitment to fixing the bike, to make it competitive, or is that just corporate talk?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #1154
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Is there a commitment to fixing the bike, to make it competitive, or is that just corporate talk?
There's a commitment to fix the bike.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #1155
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I don't think there is any Ben koolaid left.
Yeah, I ran out last year.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote