ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #6601
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Where the fuck did you go, Fallujah?
I saw that first picture and thought the same thing, I had no idea there was a ferry from Biloxi to Baghdad.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #6602
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,310
How about a Sporty with traing wheels? Halls Motorsports, Mobile.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #6603
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I saw that first picture and thought the same thing, I had no idea there was a ferry from Biloxi to Baghdad.
I see you modified your user name to add "you'll never leave Sparta alive..."; presume that now you are through Season 1 of Justified since that song ends the season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C541d1Z3e0

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #6604
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Bad day, dropped the super tanker in a water hole a mile or more from the paved road and it watered out. All attempts to start failed. I pushed for quite some time trying to make to where I could work on it and possibly get assistance before nightfall. An old man from Florida stopped and towed me the rest of the way to the road. I worked on it for a little while and it finally started. Made the 40 miles back then changed the oil which was good considering the amount of gray spuge that came out the vent.
Half the shore line homes where I am are missing.
Michael do you mean that you were in so deep that water came in the air cleaner? Or did the bike top over? Changed oil, what about those stinkin' filters?
Man I have empathy for you. It's a miserable feeling when you're pushing to an unknown destination for an unknown distance. I guess that's why they made whiskey. Good luck.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #6605
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I see you modified your user name to add "you'll never leave Sparta alive..."; presume that now you are through Season 1 of Justified since that song ends the season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C541d1Z3e0
I've had that song on my mp3 player for a while, just heard it again and decided to stick with the theme.....I need to poke around amazon and see if I can get the new season.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #6606
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Looks like you got a deal on some lightly used Gobi sidecases...

Actually found those on Cleveland Craigslist. They were new and still in the box.

Ocean Springs finest.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #6607
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
Michael do you mean that you were in so deep that water came in the air cleaner? Or did the bike top over? Changed oil, what about those stinkin' filters?
Cross rutted, couldn't touch, splash

The filters are both a pain and expensive. Ordering a BMC when I get home.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #6608
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,893

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #6609
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Where you at Gorman?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #6610
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

The new part time position doing activist work at OMTA to keep us all riding is ramping up, and I am finding it VERY rewarding! It has been keeping me so busy that I have been on ADV very little. We really have a great community on ADV though, and I know not everyone is o Facetube, so I want to give you a little recap of what is going on.

We've made improvements to the website, with more coming, revamped our membership structure to get local clubs more involved, a closer relationship with the AMA, and I am now writing regular pieces in Midwest Motorcyclist as well as the ABATE Ohio Newsletter. I did go a bit off the rails in this months Midwest Moto article, and I was actually surprised they ran it. We are also working on sponsorship packages with good value for the dealers. I was hoping to have it done by the end of next week, but now I need it done early as I got a call from the Ohio dealers association asking me to come speak at their annual convention for power sports dealers. I was a bit surprised, but what a great opportunity for us! If we can pick up more support from dealers getting behind us it can have a big impact on our efforts.

We also had a core group of riders, several from ADV, make a decision to get a new club going in Geauga County. I have sworn I am having NOTHING to do with running it (i am actually serious about that), but a couple of lady riders are going to take the lead in an interim role and then see where it goes. This is a small thing, just a social group with a riding problem, and who knows how much we can grow it. Small, yet important, because when it comes to political efforts membership numbers mean a LOT! So any opportunity we have to add names to that list is a good thing.

Back in November I started going to ODNR for monthly meetings to keep them on the ball. We did skip December, holiday scheduling was just too crazy. For the first time in history we have someone occupying the job of Recreational Services Director who has actually ridden ATVs and dirt bikes, even mountain bikes, (and it's a lady, Mary Fitch). The last guy was a lost cause who couldn't have completed a 5 mile hike, and didn't participate in any outdoor recreation, and the guy before that actively worked against us. So this is a brave new world. It's shocking how productive a meeting can be when people speak the same language... I know you all heard about Burr Oak. Well they aren't saying much, other than it is not off the table, and I have my own theories. Not much to tell about it to be honest. I can tell you that there is a push for a land acquisition to expand one existing ODNR trail system, and a possible land lease at another. Both would be significant increases. The ball is also starting to roll on a couple possible N.E. Ohio projects. There are several options in the phase of what I would call "feasibility study" before deciding which one to move on.

Now please understand that while info on possible projects is very vague, it is on purpose. Anyone could read info I post here, and by anyone I mean the "let's make dirt bikes illegal" type of people. So I don't post what we don't want them to know in the public view.

In the past, many of you have pointed out how you would be more supportive of public trail efforts if there were plans for some dedicated single track projects. Now that Mary is our point of contact we have someone that actually understands the reasoning. I am pushing hard for them to examine including single track in any new OHV project or expansion of an existing area. ODNR is beginning to see the light on this! I really feel that when we get projects going we can expect to see some single track included!

I really feel like we are making major progress this year, and everything I have just posted doesn't even go into the new legislation and grant system, or how the work building relationships in the state house is paying off. 2013 is going to be a good year for riders in Ohio! I gotta tell ya all, It's nice to be doing something I can take pride in that benefits my fellow riders!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #6611
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #6612
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
I think what you are saying is "omg your post got so long it drove me to drink!", right?

I started it thinking it would be a quick, short post, and look what happened!

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 05:52 AM
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #6613
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

That was a cheers and thanks for the hard work.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #6614
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I appreciate it, and I really am enjoying it too! The best way to show you appreciate the efforts of not just me, but everyone at OMTA is to make sure you have one of these:

ODNR really is coming around to the idea of adding single track. When we broke it down for them with a few points they finally got it:
  • single track trail is cheaper to build and maintain
  • Well laid out single track is much lower impact
  • by offering single track you reduce both demand and user conflict on the wider trails
The other factor is that we asked Dameyon (previous recreational services director) for an accounting of money in the SRV fund for over 2 years, with user type and geographic break downs. He made excuses for 2 years. When Mary took over I made the same request, and she was able to produce them in just a few days. So we now know that as of the last accounting back in late August there was $1.6 million in the SRV fund. At the rate of accumulation we are probably close to $2 million now. So money is NOT an obstacle to putting more trail on the ground. It's all about finding viable projects to use it on. We also know that a sizable percentage of all the money in the fund is coming from NE Ohio riders, and we even have a breakdown by user type, with ATVs contributing about 60%, snowmobile about 25%, and dirt bikes around 15%. Keep in mind there is no mechanism for a plated bike to contribute to the fund at all, so we are not capturing dual sports. Even though dirt bikes are the smallest contributor, we can make a case for using funds less than their total contribution to the fund for single track. You can install a LOT of single track with $10,000 and volunteer labor! Right now it's all about finding viable property. SO anyone with leads on big chunks of land for sale, please contact me! We need several hundred acres, but it can be in multiple parcels, as along as they are close to each other.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:27 AM
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #6615
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,233
Quote:
I've had that song on my mp3 player for a while, just heard it again and decided to stick with the theme.....I need to poke around amazon and see if I can get the new season.
http://www.1channel.ch/watch-189467-Justified

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote