Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Tuareg Rallye 2013 - The Next Adventure

Hi gang,

It's been a while since my last big adventure in Abu Dhabi in 2010. Since then I have completed my school studies, got into university and setup and expanded my RNS business for TripMasters and CompassRepeaters as many of you are aware of. Due to having so much going on I haven't had the time to actually race much. There was also the incident when my bike was knicked in July after a trail ride through France. Fortunately, the coppers were able to retreve the bike miraculously without any damage whatsoever (apart from worn down tires).

Anyway back on topic, this thread is about my preparation towards the Tuareg rallye in March. The event as many of you are familiar with was always held in Morocco in the past bu has since moved to Tunisia for the first time this year. The start will take palce in Douz, an Oasis in the very south pretty much bordering the Sahara desert. I will be joined by some good friends, Edward Taylor and Guillaume Martens (2nd in the Africa Race). There will of course be many ADVers joing including LukasM, GSNorCal, Neduro just to name a few. Yet again, I will be using my trusty WR450F and here is the build up that many of you fancy so much :

To start with, the bike is torn down to a nacked frame, which is repainted (matt blue):

Instead of designing my nav tower like in the past, I have opted to use a finished one from a KTM rallye, thanks to the help of the factory mechanics for helping me source some of the parts:

The nice thing about the setup is that it's wide, which allows one to mount more crap on to

The frame support is the same as in the past, but needs to be modified to accomodate the KTM forged supports (very nicely made):

I lathed some spacers so the 2 stainless steel mounts wouldn't be pressed together under the tension of the 2 screws:

The nice forged parts have spaces for the hex nuts instead of having a thread inside themselves, clever!

Post tower for the steering damper before the triple clamps are installed:

Rare to get hold of, original Yamaha factory rear hub with a cushion drive, less strain on the gear box:

Nice bling, 49T stealth sprocket:

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec

schattat screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 12:34 PM
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote