Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
I rode in Hiawassee once, 35 years ago. An old military buddy grew up there.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,280
The Shercos we ride with are loud MoFos. So loud that is one thing that would keep me from owning one. It's a real high frequency tak-tak-tak-tak. I couldn't ride one in my backyard without pissin off some folks. YRMV.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #18
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Any exhaust pointing upwards will sound louder than one with a downward angle. Those little bikes seem to be like this and that's another reason for the loudness. The little curved outlets on exhausts went out of fashion years ago but in my opinion they helped with noise.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
jjohn82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post
Thanks for the help, everyone.
Larry, I am in the NE tip of GA. Thanks, I may take you up on it at some point. But for now, after 40 years of dirt riding, I seem to have found a vertical learning curve with a stick of firewood and an 80cc bike. Not quite ready for an audience .
I ride over at Larryland every six months or so, and those guys are great. I am a total noob and have done my fair share of get offs without too much ribbing. Larry, I appreciated the invite last week, but its volleyball season now; maybe next week.
jjohn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Pointing the Exhaust Down

Has anyone experimented with putting a temp mod on their bike to point the exhause towards the ground with any success?

I am trying to get my bike, 2003 Montesa 315, as quiet as possible so I can practice in yard and not tick-off the neighbors.

So far I have repacked the silencer without a significant impact on noise level. The next step is to make a temp pipe that will point towards the ground to redirect exhause down.

Thoughts?
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post
Has anyone experimented with putting a temp mod on their bike to point the exhause towards the ground with any success?

I am trying to get my bike, 2003 Montesa 315, as quiet as possible so I can practice in yard and not tick-off the neighbors.

So far I have repacked the silencer without a significant impact on noise level. The next step is to make a temp pipe that will point towards the ground to redirect exhause down.

Thoughts?
I believe there are two different silencer cores for your bike. A straight one, and a curved one. If yours is straight you might see if you can get a curved one for it. You could also add a spark arrestor if you don't have one.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
GrayEagleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I believe there are two different silencer cores for your bike. A straight one, and a curved one. If yours is straight you might see if you can get a curved one for it. You could also add a spark arrestor if you don't have one.
Mine has the curved one, will have to check on the spark arrestor next time I make a parts buy. Thanks
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
For a simple test, measure the OD of the exhaust outlet and stop in to the local auto parts store and grab a 90 degree hose with an ID that's in the ballpark (think water pump inlet hose). That and a clamp should give you an idea how effective it'll be.

After hearing your new neighbors moving in the other night, I'm thinking that your exhaust isn't going to get anyone's attention!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Scorpa

Does anyone recall the sound level of a new Scorpa SY250? I just had the mid-box repaired and silencer repacked on my 2002 and was a little bit disappointed with the level of sound reduction. It's better, and not obnoxious, but still not as quiet as I would like. Fortunately it's a non-issue with my neighbors, I just like quiet bikes.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #25
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post

Thoughts?
The montesa originally came very quiet. There was a header restictor, a mid pipe restictor, and an intake. If you could find the mid-pipe restictor, that would probably do it. I`m sure I tossed all I had!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #26
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

This is my stripped down '92 Contact 250. It's pretty loud. Since I don't think it the silencer is re-pack-able, I am either going to try to find a different silencer or make a turn down tip for it to see if it helps. I wanted to be able to ride in the woods here beside my house but it's way too loud for that. My neighbors will surely complain like they used to when my nephew rode his CR80 here haha.

Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #27
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
This is my stripped down '92 Contact 250. It's pretty loud. Since I don't think it the silencer is re-pack-able, I am either going to try to find a different silencer or make a turn down tip for it to see if it helps. I wanted to be able to ride in the woods here beside my house but it's way too loud for that. My neighbors will surely complain like they used to when my nephew rode his CR80 here haha.

Any ideas?
The silencer is "re-packable," just not in the traditional sense. They can be cut open, re-packed and welded back together. Nowhere near as easy as drilling out a couple of rivets. My Scorpa is this way also. I have no means to weld aluminum, so I had someone do the job for me. I have contemplated building a new silencer but I'll almost certainly never act on that.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
The silencer is "re-packable," just not in the traditional sense. They can be cut open, re-packed and welded back together. Nowhere near as easy as drilling out a couple of rivets. My Scorpa is this way also. I have no means to weld aluminum, so I had someone do the job for me. I have contemplated building a new silencer but I'll almost certainly never act on that.
Hmm, I can't weld aluminum either, only steel. So repacking is out for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
hoffa509
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
For a two stroke, if you can find a used db snorkel on ebay http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/howitworks.php you would be set. A guy from my old club had one on his KTM200. It really reduced the noise.

Or ride an old Reflex like me. My neighbors never know I am riding.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffa509 View Post
For a two stroke, if you can find a used db snorkel on ebay http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/howitworks.php you would be set. A guy from my old club had one on his KTM200. It really reduced the noise.

Or ride an old Reflex like me. My neighbors never know I am riding.
I have seen those dB snorkels online, but never in person. Good to know they work. I'm fortunate that I have no neighbor issues, but I'm of the opinion that quieter is better no matter where I ride.

BTW, did you see the post on the TST mail list about 2/24? Will you be able to make it?