User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
bess227 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quest for the Qwest

Anyone here using the Shoei Qwest? I am in the market for a new lid that is Pinlock equipped (at least available) and like the looks of this helmet.

Any comments, experiences or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks up front.
bess227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bess227 View Post
Anyone here using the Shoei Qwest? I am in the market for a new lid that is Pinlock equipped (at least available) and like the looks of this helmet.

Any comments, experiences or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks up front.
I've got one and IMHO it's a very good helmet. Very quiet, which is why I bought it. The only downside is, there's not much venting. That's the price you pay for quietness, I guess. And because there's not much venting, I've found that, for me at least, the visor fogs easily when it's cold. And when it's hot, there's not a lot of air moving through the helmet. I live in a part of the country where it doesn't get too cold very often, and it'll only get above 100 for a couple weeks in the summer, then the rest of the time it's fairly temperate.

But... as you stated, the new Qwest comes with a Pinlock visor, so that should solve most if not all your fogging problems. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a Pinlock shield and visor, and I'm wondering why I waited so long.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Qwest again. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Shoei makes a quality helmet but fit is everything. If it is uncomfortable on your head it doesn't matter how nice it is. Buying a helmet without first trying it on and wearing it for a bit is a gamble.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-M View Post
Shoei makes a quality helmet but fit is everything. If it is uncomfortable on your head it doesn't matter how nice it is. Buying a helmet without first trying it on and wearing it for a bit is a gamble.
+1. Try it on first, if possible.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 660
Something I learned when I traded my RF1100 for a Qwest, the Qwest is made for more upright riding position like on a standard bike or a dual sport, the RF is made for more of a sport bike like riding position. At least that is what they told me at Bob's BMW.

I really like my Qwest, I am glad I switched from my noisy and buffeting "to me" RF1100, the Qwest is a much better fit for my type of riding.
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,863
I purchased a Quest for my sport touring riding and really like how quiet it is. To me the graphics were also nice but obviously that is subjective.

Since the fit was good, I have found no discomfort or fatigue on 1000 + mile day rides and as has been mentioned the venting in 100 degree days may be inadequate.

The only real negative I have with the Quest is that it doesn't have the visor like my XD-3 which is advantageous during sunrise/sunset riding. I've substituted a tinted shield but the XD-3 is still better when driving into the sun for my vision.

The price was right so I purchased a match for my girlfriend..

Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,539
I really like my Qwest. I'm not sure it's a helmet for warmer climes.

The chin dam (or whatever the dam thing is called) keeps the helmet quiet. I ride without windshields and REALLY like this helmet for quiet for a long day. It works great in coastal Maine where the ocean keeps temps cooler. Canada, check. Other states in April or October, check. Summer? Um . . .

I don't really like heat, so I may be over-reacting. The helmet may be quiet without the dam if it's behind the right windshield. I just don't know. The dam DOES make the helmet comfortably warmer in Maine in December.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Exact same experience here: found the Qwest to be very nice and quiet but really hot, and that is a real problem in the SE. Since then I've become a real fan of the RF1100. It is louder for sure, but the venting works really well, and that is true whether I was riding my VStrom or my K1600. I have a Shoei shaped head though.
Side note - have you seen the new GT Air? Really pricy but looks nice...
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Alijonny
ADVENTURERERERERERER

Oddometer: 132
My experience with the Qwest has been Great so far, The fogging up of the lens in cold weather is the only concern for me, and I would like to get a tinted lens eventually.

I had not ridden a bike in the last 7 years (rode dirt bikes), so the Qwest was the first helmet I have wore on my long trips. Over the summer of 2012, I took a trip through the Eastern states and within a week and a half experienced temps between 40*F- 100*F along with some nasty side winds through southern IN. The Helmet did a wonderful job, I did wear earplugs on the long rides, and if it became too hot, I would put my shades on and open the lens partially or fully. I was also riding with a GIVI windscreen, so there was less air flow...

I am satisfied with the quality of long trips (and short!), no neck ache after super windy days, comfy and no pressure points, etc...

I don't want to seem like I'm making a plug, but I was first looking at cheaper helmets and Mike at BMW countryside swayed me towards the Qwest. It was so comfy after wearing the cheaper helmets. He dropped the price also and got it within my price range which was great.

Anyway, It needs to warm up. I am itching to ride...
Alijonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
bess227 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks for all the input.

I love the looks of it. I definitely will try one on before dropping the cash. I ride a KLR on my daily commute....so...you know us KLR guys......nearly 350 for a lid is like a grand to anyone else.

The comment about the venting has me thinking.....I live in the foothills of NC, and some days the humidity and heat can be a challenge. REALLY want something that is Pinlock adaptable.....these 25 degree mornings fighting a fogged up visor are getting on my nerves. (the Dawn only lasts a day or so)

Here is wishing safe riding to all you guys.
bess227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
00 RK
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I wear a shoei qwest everyday. The pinlock work excellent in the cold, I found it doesn't stop your shield from icing up though I wore the helmet on both a sport bike and my road king, riding position didn't seem to make a difference as far as noise or airflow. It does get quite warm at 90+, but at that point it doesn't matter what you're wearing, it's hot and the face shield is coming open at stops. If I'm moving and still hot I crack it open a notch.
Ive worn it on 500 mile + days without any discomfort.
00 RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #12
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by bess227 View Post
.....nearly 350 for a lid is like a grand to anyone else.
www.motorcyclegear.com has them on closeout for $249.99. I just got mine on Friday. Money!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #13
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
www.motorcyclegear.com has them on closeout for $249.99.
These are the folks that used to be called "New Enough". I once ordered one style of pants in 2 sizes, neither fit well, and I returned them both for full credit (I paid return shipping -- it seemed fair). They are great folks to deal with -- service near Aerostich levels except no tailoring. I have gotten plenty of gear there, even boots which for me are hard to fit.

While I said in a prev post that it's not a warm-clime helmet, I have worn the Qwest in stopped city traffic in Ohio in May, June, July, August, and September. Being away from home I didn't have my mesh jacket with me so it was all pretty warm.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
These are the folks that used to be called "New Enough".
Yep, them's them. You should get on their mailing list. They occasionally sell items at "you gotta be kidding me!" prices.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I absolutely love my Qwest-- if it fits you, it's definitely a great purchase. Very comfortable and SUPER quiet (I still wear earplugs for anything longer than my short morning commute, but for a quick ride around town the Qwest is quiet enough at lower speeds).

A few thoughts:
-- As stated above, it's more of a touring posture helmet than a sportbike lid.
-- As stated above, the venting is kind of non-existent. That said, I ride in DC summers and I haven't found it to be too hot, especially with the visor cracked.
-- I have a Sena SMH-10 fitted to the helmet, fits great, works great.
-- I have a hi-viz yellow. After a year it's no longer the brightest thing you've ever seen, but it hasn't faded *that* much.
-- The shields switch out easily. In the summer, I used a dark smoke shield. In winter, I use the Pinlock with a dark smoke lens. Both work great.

FYI, just last month I needed to buy a new dark smoke Pinlock lens and I found that none of the usual online retailers (Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore, Motorcyclegear, etc.) have any in stock. I eventually found some in stock at The Helmet Center, so if that's what you need, they may still have some. http://thehelmetcenter.com/

Honestly, my only criticism of the Qwest is that it doesn't have an internal sun visor. Shoei spent a long time arguing against fitting their helmets with sun visors-- like Arai, I think they argued that the visors risked the integrity of the helmet-- but their new Neotec modular has the flip visor in the helmet, so one assumes they've come around in their designs. I don't really want a modular, so here's hoping that the next-gen Qwest comes with a flip visor so you never need swap out shields again.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote