Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #181
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Any issues with installing the Sena on the Netoec? I have the Neotec and want to add BT to it and the Sena seems to be the way to go.
No mounting issues on the Neotec. I was able to use the clamp-on mount (more secure than the stick-on method). There's pretty much one spot you can put it so it doesn't foul where the faceshield comes down but fairly easy to figure out. I have the chin curtain in and there's a bit of a trick to getting the mic fed up through the chin bar when you lower it but you get it figured out pretty quick. Everyone I've talked to on the phone while riding say they had no idea I was on a bike. I imagine I end up yelling on my end just because I assume I'm talking over some wind noise... but it isn't needed.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #182
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjumper View Post
First time I did that was on my then new Yamaha FJ1100 in the summer of 85. Moved here in 95 and been down that road several times since and yes IMO the best ride in AZ. It can get iced over this time of year.

Suggestion, come down the 191 and then pick up 78 East to the 180 back up North to 12 East, that will run you into Hwy 60 just past the Continental Divide and on to Socorro, NM.

The VLA (Very Large Array) is there and worth a look, Remember the movie Contact?

Enjoy
It was a fantastic ride! Lots of piled snow on the sides of the road and just one section of about 40 yards of re-freeze ice that I saw in plenty of time. I took 78 east to 180... another great road, what a great flow to it! Met buls4ever at the 78/180 intersection and we headed back to Deming for the night. Taking two lane over to the Carlsbad area today. Might check out the Caverns in the morning before pressing on to the east.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #183
Jeremy J
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Loving the ride report. I especially enjoy when someone comes through my area and hearing how an outsider experiences it.

I have a SMH10 too and can't say enough about it. I don't make it a point to talk while riding but when I have had to take a call the caller never knew I was on my bike. I mainly use it for some music on the long rides. Fits pretty well in my Arai RXQ.
Jeremy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #184
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy J View Post
Loving the ride report. I especially enjoy when someone comes through my area and hearing how an outsider experiences it.

I have a SMH10 too and can't say enough about it. I don't make it a point to talk while riding but when I have had to take a call the caller never knew I was on my bike. I mainly use it for some music on the long rides. Fits pretty well in my Arai RXQ.
Thanks man! Next is to talk some of my riding buddies into getting them. Well, except Travis.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #185
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 31 - Part One

Wednesday morning in Springerville, AZ... which is at 7000 feet. That elevation manifests itself in several ways.

One... the altitude doesn't seem to affect the Triumph too terribly but once I pass 7000 feet I can really feel it start getting neutered.

Two... I've been getting great sleep on the trip even though I'm in a different town and and a different bed almost every night but I didn't sleep very good in Springerville and had a low-grade headache that was hard to shake all night and in the morning. I blame the elevation.

Three... it gets cold at night. Woke up to 27 degrees and frost on the Triumph...

Four... may or may not be attributable to the elevation, but as an experiment, I tried every seat in the breakfast area at the motel and the tv was always at least partially blocked by this hat.

Going to ride Arizona's Devil Highway today... Route 191 formerly Route 666. Apparently the signs kept getting stolen and the 666 put some people off. Definitely don't want ice so waited until about 10 before hitting the road. 37 degrees but strong sunshine and it felt great on the bike. Another great weather day for riding.

Springerville is on a bit of a plain but you quickly climb about 1000 feet and start getting into the mountains. I liked how symmetrical the mountain on the left was.

Swoopy road down to Alpine. I was told I could get a 'Devils Highway' patch or sticker at the "tackle" shop. Well, there's like 15 buildings in the town and I think 10 of them say 'bait' or 'tackle' on them. I was successful on the third stop. Went with a Devil's Highway shot glass and cup of hot chocolate. I sat out in the crisp mountain air, sipped my hot chocolate, and contemplated the bad luck I may have wrought upon myself by purchasing a "I survived the Devil's Highway" souvenir BEFORE actually riding it. You plays the cards your dealt...

After Alpine, headed south, for about the next 100 miles, the Devil's Highway earns it's name. Starts out curvy in the pines with quite a bit of fire damage apparent. Lots of logging trucks and equipment working on the north end. Runs through Hannagan Meadow where the elevation flirts with 10,000 feet. There's a short section in the middle that runs fairly straight on a high open plain at around 9000 feet, then the real fun starts. The posted speed limit is 25. The first sign says something like "15mph curves next 11 miles"... then you get that section done and the sign has "10mph curves next 16 miles" or similar. Fabulous fun and rather challenging considering how pretty the scenery is.

The road itself is good asphalt and signed well. The conditions were generally sketchy when I rode it, but that's what I get for going through there in February. Only one short section of thin ice that was easy to see coming. The logging trucks were dragging mud, twigs, and chunks of bark onto the road up in north part. A few corners were sprinkled with pine cones. The number one challenge was the fairly thick sand everywhere. Several people had warned me of elk on the road but only saw one small deer in the whole rip.

All said though... it just demanded attention and respect. Had a great time and now want to run it south-to-north and when the sand is off. My favorite corner is a 3rd-4th gear right hander that falls away and Devil's Highway had a bunch of them. Ahh!

Ok... enough narrative. Picture barrage.

I think there's 5 different mountain ranges in this view.

The last section of 191 runs through the Morenci Copper Mine. The scale of this place really can't be captured in a picture. One of the most impressive things I've seen on the trip. It's miles of this...

They are using those enormous Caterpillar dump trucks... the two story tall ones with ladders up to the cabs and they look like ants moving around down in the mine.

Everything is covered in red dust.

I've ridden some similarly entertaining roads, many on this trip, but never a stretch this long. After 100 miles of probably the best road I've ridden... finally landed in Clifton to fill up on gas and get a much deserved drink of water.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #186
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,229
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #187
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,760
Wow! that road looks sweet! While reading your report I was trying to figure out where you were and where you were headed, seemed strange to me so I looked at the map. Now it makes sense, it is February and you are heading south! As I recall the very northern part of that road in AZ that heads up towards the four corners was very open with as much wind as I have ever ridden in. Leaning into the wind with the sand coming across the road for a few hours actually sand blasted part of my paint. Anyway, we were headed north and it was August! Looks like great fun and I would say you are headed the correct way!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #188
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Wow! that road looks sweet! While reading your report I was trying to figure out where you were and where you were headed, seemed strange to me so I looked at the map. Now it makes sense, it is February and you are heading south! As I recall the very northern part of that road in AZ that heads up towards the four corners was very open with as much wind as I have ever ridden in. Leaning into the wind with the sand coming across the road for a few hours actually sand blasted part of my paint. Anyway, we were headed north and it was August! Looks like great fun and I would say you are headed the correct way!
Yep... staying below I-40 for as long as I can before making the run north to Iowa. I've gotten into a couple open, windy areas, nothing too terrible, have been in worse in the midwest but I'm sure it can get nasty down here. One of the trickiest on this ride was actually on I-8 up into the mountains in Socal... 70mph, twisting up into the mountains, fair amount of other traffic including trucks, and the mountains would block and unblock the wind at what felt like random times.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #189
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
Yep... staying below I-40 for as long as I can before making the run north to Iowa. I've gotten into a couple open, windy areas, nothing too terrible, have been in worse in the midwest but I'm sure it can get nasty down here. One of the trickiest on this ride was actually on I-8 up into the mountains in Socal... 70mph, twisting up into the mountains, fair amount of other traffic including trucks, and the mountains would block and unblock the wind at what felt like random times.
I'm an Iowa boy myself, now living in northern Arkansas. If you're riding through the Ozarks, let me know and I'll try to point you toward a couple great roads.

And if you happen to be riding through Mountain Home, AR, let me know and I'll buy you a beer in exchange for the best sights to see out west, since I hope to ride that way in May.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #190
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'm an Iowa boy myself, now living in northern Arkansas. If you're riding through the Ozarks, let me know and I'll try to point you toward a couple great roads.

And if you happen to be riding through Mountain Home, AR, let me know and I'll buy you a beer in exchange for the best sights to see out west, since I hope to ride that way in May.
PM sent...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #191
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 31 - Part Two

Devil's Highway slain... gassed and hydrated in Clifton and ready to head back to New Mexico and hook back up with buls4ever.

Just your average, everyday mystery hole next to the gas station...

Clifton was actually a neat little town. Obviously heavily influenced by the longtime mining operation. Sits right at the base of a mountain. Cool old buildings on a little, narrow main street. Most are almost getting to the point that they'll be hard to save. The town really deserves to be "restored".

Headed east out of Clifton on highway 78. I kind of figured I was done with the twisties. I was kind of really wrong. Loved 78 from Clifton to the New Mexico border. Climbing, twisting, falling... higher speed than the Devil's Highway but with a really great flow. Top 5 road ridden on the trip for sure. Some great views as well.

Met up with buls4ever at the intersection of 78 and 180... poor guy had been waiting there in the middle of nowhere for a long time. Was chatting up some riders heading west on a Gold Wing and an older ST1100 when I rolled in. Good to see Jeff again.

The original plan was to head to Las Cruces and hang out with another inmate over there but it was starting to get late so decided to head back to Deming instead. Fine with me. Buzzed down 180... straight road, but I hadn't been down this stretch before. 271 mile day. As the crow flies, 1000.9 miles to home. Hmm... lost a few miles today. Oh well, was well worth it for the riding.

Back in Deming and we're both starved. Headed to Si Senor's for some really good mexican... had the taco, enchilada, tamale combo that included a tasty sopapilla.

Grabbed a six of Dos XX (because yes, we are that interesting), did some route planning and discussed the intricacies of DRZ jetting, CZ clutches, and Puch shift fork replacement. Normal inmate talk. Of course Jeff is a true 'vintage' guy and I'm really more of an 'evolution' guy.

Decided I should see Carlsbad Caverns since I'll be passing so close, so the Thursday route will take me over there...
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #192
TheGirlfriend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Mystery Hole?

Did you get any closer to the mystery hole ?? It might have been a way to Carlsbad Caverns...... Darker, but still an adventure!!!
Miss You!!
TheGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #193
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirlfriend View Post
Did you get any closer to the mystery hole ?? It might have been a way to Carlsbad Caverns...... Darker, but still an adventure!!!
Miss You!!
Didn't investigate... that would have been one heck of a shortcut if it led to Carlsbad!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #194
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
I was doing my best to keep him out of the "mystery holes" girlfriend................
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #195
TheGirlfriend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
I was doing my best to keep him out of the "mystery holes" girlfriend................
And I thank you for that!!
TheGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote